Sign in to follow this  
RBorg

BattleLore and More

Elberon said:

Well thats my thought /  hope gui%C3%B1o.gif

I, for one, do not feel you are thinking/hoping in vain.  Sure, it could be that Heroes has been sitting in production or stalled at a factory for the past two years, but I think that the reason for the delays have to do with the complexity of the expansion.  Not sure if it is in the completely opposite direction of the musing in the previous sentence, however I wouldn't be surprised if Heroes treats the base game as a way to play out a rpg/campaign-style over-game.

That's my thought/hope gran_risa.gif

I mean, even the Gears of War board game is posted in the upcoming releases for Q4 2009!  

I'm excited about the info supplied in this tread, but can't wait to get an idea of when it will be available.

Steven

Stexe said:

I'd love to see each of the armies have really different feels in command structure.

Something like The Swarm (Bugs) have a weird system where brain bugs control their underlings, making the leaders the target for enemy armies. The dynamics through each of the different armies could lead to completely different play styles and everything.

Dreenoi fan?

According to boardgamenews.com, which has proven to me to be pretty reliable over the last 1.5 years, the Heroes expansion is set for the second quarter, which I assume means sometime from the beginning of April through the end of June.  It's obviously not specific, but it is another source and it is approximately what FFG has been saying.  I'll check back in a month.  In the meantime, lots of Dominion, some Arkhaham Horror and Risk 2210 (for a lark).

Well for me the simple fact that Richard took the time to post the details he was allowed to under his non disclosure agreement is encouraging. He offers details of things that we may see in the furute by letting us know what the playtest group has been working on. Whilst we would all like to see something from FFG in the news section, lets be happy we have this much and make some allowances for the current financial climate which isnt exactly the best time to release loads and loads of games and expansions in.

Heores sounds interesting and should provide somethign new in terms of tactics and gameplay which is what every game needs to help keep it fresh. Thats got to be a big positive.

On the down side, no amount of people expressing thier displeasure that FFG havent spoken up will change things, all it will do is lead to people like me (and I am sure others) getting bored with reading the forums and stop being active. In effect such comments drive people away and reduce the quality and numbers of people within what would normally be a loyal community. I have no doubt that people frustrations at lack of news are behind it, but there is one plain fact. All the negative moans, pleas and various other tactics used trying to get firm announcements over the past two years have got nothing other than the announcement from DoW to sell to FFG. Please guys, when a positve post like this one from Richard comes along, lets try and keep it positive and look for the good news in it.

Sorry for the rant at the end, my frustration got to me.  

I really don't think Negative Moans caused DoW to bail,they got out as they didn't have the ability to carry through on a product they sold us on.As for turning people off seeing complaints about lack of information,well BL has been dead in the water,whose getting active over that?

Sorry if our flustration over FFG lack of support for BL causes others flustration,its a sad cycle which is only going to be broken when FFG delivers some real info.on BL then we can all enjoy the Game.

OD

Indygnome said:

On the down side, no amount of people expressing thier displeasure that FFG havent spoken up will change things, all it will do is lead to people like me (and I am sure others) getting bored with reading the forums and stop being active. In effect such comments drive people away and reduce the quality and numbers of people within what would normally be a loyal community.

What drives people away from the community is a lack of news or new scenarios.  If there are so many scenarios laying around -- how much trouble can it be to post a new one every month?  I find it hard to believe that there is no news whatsoever to be released on BattleLore.  For goodness sake, they haven't even announced whether the troll will ever be available separately... not to mention the Hill Giant and Earth Elemental.  These are simple questions that FFG has even alluded to in their little news so far, but we still don't have an answer. 

As FFG takes their time, more and more people are finding other games to play, which means less long term development for BattleLore.

What bores me is going to the FFG website and seeing -- Now shipping, a new expansion for (insert title of any game other than Battlelore here).

Geoff

We're all affected in different ways, but I don't see the silence of FFG having any effect on me.  They want more money from me?  They'll put out more product.  If they never put out a single expansion again, that's fine.  I'm quite happy with what I have now.

Richard Borg said:

''...Perhaps I can convince Fantasy Flight to preview the entire line up on their BattleLore web site.''

''...May be I can get summary card details in regard to our Dwarf Cattle Rider's  Bull Rush and Goblin Slinger's Spiked Shot as we wait it outhappy.gif.''

Any luck?   gran_risa.gif

Trump said:

We're all affected in different ways, but I don't see the silence of FFG having any effect on me.  They want more money from me?  They'll put out more product.  If they never put out a single expansion again, that's fine.  I'm quite happy with what I have now.

I Fully agree.

Old Dwarf said:

I really don't think Negative Moans caused DoW to bail,they got out as they didn't have the ability to carry through on a product they sold us on.As for turning people off seeing complaints about lack of information,well BL has been dead in the water,whose getting active over that?

Negative Moans? Sounds like the making of a new lore Card. Maybe a future necromancer on the council. . . gran_risa.gif

Zeal

Richard Borg said:

One final note, I have had many productive conversations with Fantasy Flight and they are very interested in web support of BattleLore as we all await the next expansion. May be I can get summary card details in regard to our Dwarf Cattle Rider's  Bull Rush and Goblin Slinger's Spiked Shot as we wait it outhappy.gif.

Any luck on these fronts?

Well I'm looking forward to whatever comes oiut - it all sounds great!  In fact, I'm dusting off the old BL now in preparation.

One things for sure- no matter how impatient I am, I'd rather wait the extra time and get a great product rather than a half baked one.  Looks like that FFG's sensible intent too.  Bravo! 

Foxburr said:

Three months have passed since Mr. Borg started this tantalizing thread.  I'm almost afraid to ask, but has there been any news?

If you mean official as from anyone from FFG - no.   There is a post from the Raven on the battleloremaster.com mentionnig other stuff to come as well but again, nothing official from anyone at FFG.

Thanks.  I figured as much.  Oh well, the new expansion for Dominion is due out in approximately one month.  That will keep me busy for a half a year, at least.  If you haven't played it, I heartily recommend it.  I'll check for updates in a month or two.  Bye!

Alistaja said:

raven is silent. Battle is lost.

More like FFG is silent - hard to believe it has been 9 months now and not ONE peep from anyone official from FFG.   Pretty pretty sad - makes you wonder if they will ever do anything with this game.   Might as well kept it at DoW now - at least there you got something, even if it is "something will be coming" line.

Cab

I don´t doubt that there will be releases for Battlelore, and probably quite soon, at least i think we should see something anounced during the summer.

But i can´t understand why FFG is not telling, or doing anything to keep some kind of buzz going about the game.

I guess from one perspective it makes sense not to start building the game community until you got som new products to sell, on the other hand it really seems that the way they are doing it now FFG is actively alienating the most active and passionate fans of the game.

And it wouldn´t take much to keep us happy, and keep interest in the game alive,  say an hour of work every two weeks or so.

For instance, through the Gencon page we now know Rob Kouba is working on Battlelore together with R Borg.

This could easily have been made into two news items that would have kept us happy for at least a month.

First a short announcement: Robert Kouba, who previously worked on TIde of Iron and Star Craft: Brood War, is now working on Battlelore.

Then a few weeks later a short question and answer with Robert Kouba, i guess it would take about ten to 15 minutes to come up with five interesting questions, then a minute or two to mail them to him. Then another say 20 - 30 minutes if you are a slow worker to edit the answers and push the publish button.

I work as a webreporter for a new paper and the time estimates above are really generous compared to how it is at work, so its not like this would take a lot  of time away from developing  the game...

Why things like this are not done really beats me.