Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Max Wax

Finally, FFG posted video tutorial for AGOT

Recommended Posts

That tutorial was very nicely done. I'm going to steer a friend at work to that who I may just be able to get to try this game.

Some random thoughts.

- I was surprised that multiplayer was at the end and sort of an "afterthought" compared to the bulk of the tutorial. I think it makes sense to learn this game as two player and then afterward try melee, but given how the core set is geared to multiplayer, I was surprised.

- Two ticky-tack gripes: The timing of the playing of Distinct Mastery doesn't make good tactical sense, and as a result perhaps creates the mistaken impression that the event must be played while a player is the attacker in the challenge phase. Also, there was a missed opportunity to explain Deadly and how it can fizzle when the defending character has already been killed for claim.

- Looking at the flash renderings of the cards, player hands, and table layout had me thinking it would be great if FFG created a flash online version of the game to compliment the physical cards. Perhaps each chapter pack could contain an activation code that gave you virtual copies of the cards in the chapter pack. Please don't wake me up, I'm enjoying this dream.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it kind of interesting that in the video the +1 gold location is a gold modifier................not a gold producing location.......but hey, what ever.

 

seriously, why didn't the stark player play street of steel in his marshalling? did they not want to confuse new players with zero cost locatiosn and reducers? he could have gotten SoSteel, ned, and the direwolf pup in for his four gold. not to mention the sea in the lanni players hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see the positive response in spite of the flaws, thanks for the input.

There were numerous discussions about what better tactics could be shown as well as other traits, keywords, etc.  Ultimately we tried to keep the focus on learning the basics while giving a taste of the depth of the game  (and we felt a 5 hour tutorial might intimidate someone new to AGoT, hehe).

 

-j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let my nitpicky comments detract from what is very well thought out and polished tutorial. It vastly exceeded what I would have expected. And as I said already, it looked so good it had me wishing for a flash based client to play AGOT LCG on (hint, hint happy.gif).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One problem worth mentioning that I do have with the tutorial is that it stutters. I have decent download bandwidth (~2.2mb), but the tutorial doesn't seem to buffer enough before it starts playing, so it's constantly bumping up to the download point. Maybe it's just a problem on my end, but thought I should mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the videos are very nicely done. I like Challenges especially, how everything moves and the table view - awesome! The guys voice is very nice too. It's very good that presentation was made. And every video was playing very nicely on my Mac, there was no stops while downloading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LetsGoRed said:

 

One problem worth mentioning that I do have with the tutorial is that it stutters. I have decent download bandwidth (~2.2mb), but the tutorial doesn't seem to buffer enough before it starts playing, so it's constantly bumping up to the download point. Maybe it's just a problem on my end, but thought I should mention it.

 

 

 

Yup, same problem here. The stuttering is sometimes very annoying. Otherwise I really liked the video and will probably spread it around to a few friends who might be interested in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I agree with the postive sentiments. :-)  Nicely presented.  Did have to pause and let it load before resuming a couple times to avoid the stutter problem though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the video problems have something to do with the browser. On my Mac video also was perfect. Maybe it's just the Internet Explorer which doesn't work.

 

I was very impressed by the tutorials. They should help me to win new players. Right now I have stored them on my iPod touch so I can show them whenever I meet someone who might be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mischraum.de said:

Maybe the video problems have something to do with the browser. On my Mac video also was perfect. Maybe it's just the Internet Explorer which doesn't work.

I use Firefox and I had the same problem, even with 4Mbps downstream. So I opend all chapters in different windows and paused. It took a while but worked.

Otherwise nicely done, they could have gone deeper in the game but I think this very basic explanation is sufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am on a 16/1Mbps connection and I had speed problems as well with my Opera browser.  The tutorial is well made.  Graphically pleasing, clear and concise.  I am waiting for my game to arrive on Tuesday, so it was a great way to get acquainted with the basic rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The videos worked well on my Mac with the Safari browser. And the videos didn't work smoothly when opened on Windows under Firefox. I am not advertisting anything. Just happened I noticed the difference when using the videos a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JerusalemJones said:

Just do what I do -- start loading the video, pause it, and then go back and watch it all later after the whole thing is done being loaded.

Yeah, that's what I do when I have such problems.  That said, they played perfectly smoothly for me in Firefox.  It's got to just be a local issue.  Thanks so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LetsGoRed said:

That tutorial was very nicely done. I'm going to steer a friend at work to that who I may just be able to get to try this game.

Some random thoughts.

- I was surprised that multiplayer was at the end and sort of an "afterthought" compared to the bulk of the tutorial. I think it makes sense to learn this game as two player and then afterward try melee, but given how the core set is geared to multiplayer, I was surprised.

- Two ticky-tack gripes: The timing of the playing of Distinct Mastery doesn't make good tactical sense, and as a result perhaps creates the mistaken impression that the event must be played while a player is the attacker in the challenge phase. Also, there was a missed opportunity to explain Deadly and how it can fizzle when the defending character has already been killed for claim.

- Looking at the flash renderings of the cards, player hands, and table layout had me thinking it would be great if FFG created a flash online version of the game to compliment the physical cards. Perhaps each chapter pack could contain an activation code that gave you virtual copies of the cards in the chapter pack. Please don't wake me up, I'm enjoying this dream.

 

I also noted that Ned didn't claim his power when he came into play, but I figured that and the deadly thing were left out for the sake of brevity. The video was well done overall.

I would love to see the flash online version. Then maybe I could play more regularly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, an online version would pretty much be the best thing ever.  It could be run similar to Magic Online, where all the digital and print copies of cards are interchangeable.  I know I'd play pretty much all the time (read: from my desk at the office).  Just think of all the neat stuff we could do with such a system.  Online league play.  Online tourneys.  Online trading.  Ohhh...I'm weak in the knees...

That said, the implemetation on such a thing would be huge and I doubt that FFG has the spare money or interest sitting around.  Still, while this community may not be huge, it is pretty rabid and I imagine we'd all spend a good chunk on it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...