Sign in to follow this  
JerusalemJones

the Upcoming Bag of Cthulhu

Saw this posted in the Upcoming Products page:

Bag of Cthulhu

Accessorize your Call of Cthulhu LCG set with these finely sculpted and inkwashed Cthulhu miniatures, based on Henry Anthony Wilcox's Horror in the Clay. Bag of Cthulhu comes with 6 large (55mm) Cthulhu figures and 24 small (20mm) Cthulhu figures that can be used as domain and success tokens in the Call of Cthulhu LCG, or can be used for other miniature applications.

They are expected in April. The inkwashed means they will be different painted than the ones in the core set, but I'm looking forward to the mini cthulhus. Should be cool.

I like the small ones.  My biggest gripe with the sculpts is that they seem a bit too large for what they are.  Kind of like Pillars Of The Earth and finding out the castle pieces are an over-glorified turn marker.  :D

Plastic Designer Brian Schomburg did a fine job sculpting the cthulhu statuettes. They are precisely cut and descriptively portrayed. They're fine for a statuette, but too sedate for Great Cthulhu rising from R'yleh!

I guess I'm just philosophically opposed to them. Which means mostly that I have way too much time. I'm with game creator Christian regarding the balance of putting out a quality product for an economical price. I think FFG succeeded. To reiterate what perhaps most agree, the box and rule book are great. The game board gets a quieter firm thumbs up, the game pieces - ambivalent to good. And the cards are the big item for other discussion. I'm refering here to the packaging and trappings.

We miss the domains. Symbolically, for me, the statuettes equate to the not near miss of omitting the domains. The other criticisms leveled are the missing game pieces bag, cards boxes, and functioning box insert. Somehow, those three seem minor. They are the victims of economy, leading to the gain of getting the quality items that were included. My opinion.

The statuettes somehow seem instead the benefactors of circumstance. I imagine FFG making / acquiring the statuettes because they were very inexpensive, could be throw in to flesh out what's included, have independant cthulhu game and collectible use, and evidently can be separately sold in two sizes. They just, to me, are not game specific enough, and melted down might be the size of six beautiful stone-esque domains. But again, even six domain cards didn't make it in. That either blows my cockamamy theory, or further indicts the little bastards.