Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

All in a name - what sounds better?

I'm porting Rogue Trader - well, all of the WH40K lines really - over to another system. I'm going to have Attributes and Skills, and I figured I'd keep the nine Characteristics from Rogue Trader (WS, BS, S, T, Ag, Int, Per, WP, and Fel) BUT…

I do not want to have Attributes with the word "Skill" in the names. It seems inappropriate to me considering that they are not skills. So, I have two sets of names that I'm considering:

1) Replace Weapon Skill with either A) Close Combat or B) Fighting.

2) Replace Ballistic Skill with either B) Ranged Combat or B) Shooting.

I'm leaning towards Close Combat and Ranged Combat, but I'm not fully decided yet. Opinions?

Close Combat was suggested by a player of the WH40K tabletop minis game and Ranged Combat seems the logical counterpart. Fighting and Shooting were suggested by a Savage Worlds player in the group.

Right now, I'm strongly leaning towards Close Combat and Ranged Combat. I'm also dropping the shorthand for the attributes to just the first letter of each word, so not having Fighting together with Fellowship or Shooting together with Strength is going to be helpful.

This gives me my nine Attributes: Close Combat (CC), Ranged Combat (RC), Strength (S), Toughness (T), Agility (A), Intelligence (I), Perception (P), Willpower (W), and Fellowship (F).

Larkin said:

Choppa and Dakka of course. Those two, best two.

If the game were featuring the Boyz, sure. Since I'm going for a generic WH40K conversion - one that is classless/non-career limited and will allow characters of any type (including xenos of various types, but working those out is pretty far down on my list) - so more generic terms are in order.