Sign in to follow this  
thevampyresade

Rift+Vortex=?

I just got Kingsport and I have a quick question abotu how it can be compatible with the Dunqich board.

If a rift open in Dunwich, it will ultimatly have to walk into a vortex. What happen then?

Logically i would say it closes as the vortez absorb it. But should the Dunwhich track advance?

Does anyone know if there is an official answer on this (and I guess that would apply for the Innsmouth and the Deep One track too)?

Someone can correct me on this as necessary, but I believe the answer is that the Rift moves into the Vortex and stays there.  Any monsters it spawns are immediately sucked into the vortex.

Walk said:

Someone can correct me on this as necessary, but I believe the answer is that the Rift moves into the Vortex and stays there.  Any monsters it spawns are immediately sucked into the vortex.

Sorry, Walk, you're wrong. Vortices are considered as gates, hence no moving gate can enter a vortex as per rules about moving gates (cfr.  Lurker).

This is not explained in the core rules, but was later clarified. So, a moving gate supposed to move into a vortex does not move

Julia, I think you need to get back to the wedding stuff since you're obviously high on it or something lengua.gif , this thread was Rift + Vortex, the moving gate + vortex thread came and went earlier.

To the OP, rift will move to the vortex and spam a monster, possibly also adding a doom token, if the right color + symbol appears on the Mythos card.

Dam said:

Julia, I think you need to get back to the wedding stuff since you're obviously high on it or something lengua.gif , this thread was Rift + Vortex, the moving gate + vortex thread came and went earlier.

::blush::

It moved. Sigh ::facepalm::

Sorry to Walk and the OP (and all other readers), I was in a hurry doing too many things and I clearly failed at *reading*.

@ Dam: chivalry is your virtue, uh? lengua.gif

Walk, you've got it! A rift in a vortex will still add doom tokens and produce monsters. Of course, any monsters produced will be immediately devoured by the vortex.

Julia, I knew what you were trying to say: a moving gate from the Lurker expansion will not enter a vortex. The subtle difference is that a gate inside a vortex might cause an investigator to be stranded inside a rift, where they should never be—or, alternately, an investigator would not be able to get into the vortex to enter the gate in the first place. The good news here is that a moving gate in the offshore region of Innsmouth will never be able to leave its space, so it is no longer moving—thus it can always be sealed.

thevampyresade said:

So a rift move to a vortex, it isnt discared but add a dunwich token on the dunwhich track each time it is supose to move.

Essentially. Don't forget that it can add a doom token too (if the movement pattern matches its color) and, as Dam said, monsters entering vortexes also increase the terror level.

Tibs said:

Julia, I knew what you were trying to say: a moving gate from the Lurker expansion will not enter a vortex. The subtle difference is that a gate inside a vortex might cause an investigator to be stranded inside a rift, where they should never be—or, alternately, an investigator would not be able to get into the vortex to enter the gate in the first place. The good news here is that a moving gate in the offshore region of Innsmouth will never be able to leave its space, so it is no longer moving—thus it can always be sealed.

Yeah Tibs, you're 100% right. I don't know why, but I've read "rift" and thought "gate". Clearly, a rift can enter a vortex, it's not something violating any dynamics of Kingsport. Having a Rift at Devil reef could be an interesting situation (ok, custom Herald in progress. Sigh. I miss Avi so much)

Who let Dam into a Kingsport thread?  He probably flashed his Dunwich credentials and snuck in through the side entrance!  SECURITY!

I didn't even know monster in vortex added doom token, i guess im buying too many expansion at once. and dont have time to familiarise myself with the rules.

All i did was but a token on the dunwich horror track.

Thank you guys for setting me straigh.

thevampyresade said:

I didn't even know monster in vortex added doom token, i guess im buying too many expansion at once. and dont have time to familiarise myself with the rules.

Monster hitting a vortex doesn't add a doomer, but when a Rift moves, if you get the right color symbol (matching that on the Rift) on the Mythos card, the Rift spews a monster and adds a doomer.