Sign in to follow this  
Warboss Krag

SSU Primer: Why the wrong color?

Is anyone besides me surprised (and somewhat miffed) that the SSU models come primed, with heavy irony, in approximately German armor mustard? Why didn't FFG prime them in Russian black-green? I'm going to have to paint over each vehicle completely in black-green, very carefully (to avoid painting the pre-applied decals - as a modeler, I hate that feature).

(I had to get Op. Zverograd for Tactics; I wanted Koshka and Gra'Ma, central to the comic.)

(Speaking of babes from the comic, when do we get the Allied nurse model?)

Warboss Krag said:

Is anyone besides me surprised (and somewhat miffed) that the SSU models come primed, with heavy irony, in approximately German armor mustard? Why didn't FFG prime them in Russian black-green? I'm going to have to paint over each vehicle completely in black-green, very carefully (to avoid painting the pre-applied decals - as a modeler, I hate that feature).

(I had to get Op. Zverograd for Tactics; I wanted Koshka and Gra'Ma, central to the comic.)

Warboss Krag said:

hi guess you might already know this but Dust Models sell Decal Sets for Dust Miniatures. 

http://dust-models.com/products.php?nid=21

After a respray to a more appropriate colour I use these or other commercially available WW2 decals.

my Allied Walkers are all in British Khaki Drab with British tactical markings., and most of my Germans are 21st Panzer Division in Mustard / green / red brown cammo happy.gif

All of my KV47s from Dust Models and my Fuy of Ivan are sprayed muddy brown with a healthy dose of black washes. And the decals from various WW2 sites (including Dust Models) add diversity. Sure, it owuld be nice if the sets themselves came with decal sheets, but that is the hand FFG dealt us.

Just in general, I was disappointed to see it was a very bright color.  I was hoping for more of a darker almost maroon brown.  In the spirit of wanting to play with painted minis, yet minimizing the amount of time I spend painting them, it would make it a lot easier if they where all very dark, and I could put on a few color patches (faces, etc) and then dry brush.  Sure, I'm lazy, but I got the impression that was the niche they were trying to fill with these semi pre-painted figs.

My problem is much the same: I'm lazy, and now I have to cover a relatively bright color with brushed-on paint (the Dust decal sets are pricey, for me - I'd rather spend my cash on minis). And for Gork's sake, couldn't they have had the smarts that, if they were going to make minis German armor mustard, make it the Germans?

Jowimus said:

We had Green Army Men and Grey Army Men. We needed Tan Army Men.

Oh lord that's good. partido_risa.gif

Ill stick to my grey armymen. And pray they do not release red shirt army men.

Jowimus said:

I'm only slightly ashamed to say I would buy Red Army Men sonrojado.gif

Im rather disappointed the SSU weren't, "Red Army Men."  I mean, now how can I say, "Better dead than red!" when my SSU opponents eliminate one of my units/walkers?  gran_risa.gif

Shadow4ce said:

Jowimus said:

I'm only slightly ashamed to say I would buy Red Army Men sonrojado.gif

Im rather disappointed the SSU weren't, "Red Army Men."  I mean, now how can I say, "Better dead than red!" when my SSU opponents eliminate one of my units/walkers?  gran_risa.gif

And their box is red! C'mon! I thought they were commies!

I actually expected a reddish brown al la Axis & Allies USSR troops.

Let's just hope when and if FFG give us some Japanese troops they're not Yellow like the old A&A editions.

The color is historically accurate, it is called Russian Uniform Green (a yellowy green).  If you don't want to paint them just wast them with some GW either Thraka Green (old Washes) or Athonian Camoshade (New Shade) and call it a day.  They will look fine.

-jay

In as much as the models I have are Cpt. Koshka and her powered suit, I'm going with classic Russian black/green, the color of early and mid-war armor. I'm going to decorate it with some patriotic slogans, too.

On the subject of the powered suit, I think that the Russian suits look much more functional than every other walker in the game. They're compact, their armor doesn't have humongous gaps with lots of ridiculous exposed and vital motive equipment, and their weapons have enough space to work. My only objection is that their arms are so long that they can stilt along if they want to, and are in danger of tripping up on them if the pilot's not careful.

Actually, now that I have looked at the Russians up close, it is actually just Khaki Grey, which was the color of Russian soldiers uniforms during WW2.

-jay

I paint the whole mini anyhow. It's a primer. It could be black for all I care I'm going to paint over it. And since I don't apply paint like I'm adding mustard to a hotdog, I don't think I'm losing any noticeable details. 

Psykostevo said:

I paint the whole mini anyhow. It's a primer. It could be black for all I care I'm going to paint over it. And since I don't apply paint like I'm adding mustard to a hotdog, I don't think I'm losing any noticeable details. 

Thats not the problem though, the problem is getting into all the nooks and crannies to actually be able to apply the paint.  If it's the correct dark colour then there is no problem, if its a light yellow, then that will be a problem as any missed bits will be highly visable.