Sign in to follow this  
Braddoc

The Lathes Worlds

I've been playing a Tech-Priest ever since DH released, scouring the various books for extra bits of information I can use, so I'm very happy that the Adeptus Mechanicus finally gets its own supplement! A definite purchase for me, no matter what. :)

Man, I haven't posted in so long- so many topics I had to address in the GM forums. I just haven't had the time lately, working beyond full time. 

But I JUST had to post here to say SEVERAL things.

1) Copy paste Adeptus' post. I am very glad to see support back into the line, even though some would say it was never taken out. Though I still feel that Only War should have been DH, I am EXTREMELY relieved that Lathe Worlds didn't end up being its own game as well. The Tech-priests need as much expansion as anything else and Tech-heretics (The logicians) are some of the funnest opponents I've ever had my players fight against. 

2) My God, H.B. M.C. I really feel bad for you- and anyone else who knew about this book and for some reason couldn't say anything- and in all honesty, I CONDEMN (Yes, I am very much politics right now what with all of the Chaos in Montreal) FFG's LACK of communication. 

What POSSIBLE harm could have been in sending out an official statement on the line? Two way street, you say- they announce it, but then they pull out and were all disappointed so best keep it until we can post it in the main page. Pffft- that's a load: one of the problems with Only War was that they posted it WITHOUT a previous announcement. 

I can understand that your not allowed to mention these books, so that each time we said that Support for DH was dead and gone you cringed and died a little inside. BUT! Keep in mind, we didn't say support was dead- we said we'd GOTTEN the impression that support was dead. This is something that had to be addressed by the higher-ups, and not you in particular. I am very glad this book out, I regret putting you a couple of depressing posts- but I don't renounce the posts or my opinions, as I still believe that this lack of communication hurts the fan-base more so then protects the publishers. 

3) Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! New Book! Mechanicus! All Hail the Omnissiah! Sucks I can't pre-order this thing yet. Least not on amazon.ca…

Saldre said:

2) My God, H.B. M.C. I really feel bad for you- and anyone else who knew about this book and for some reason couldn't say anything- and in all honesty, I CONDEMN (Yes, I am very much politics right now what with all of the Chaos in Montreal) FFG's LACK of communication. 

What POSSIBLE harm could have been in sending out an official statement on the line? Two way street, you say- they announce it, but then they pull out and were all disappointed so best keep it until we can post it in the main page. Pffft- that's a load: one of the problems with Only War was that they posted it WITHOUT a previous announcement. 

I can understand that your not allowed to mention these books, so that each time we said that Support for DH was dead and gone you cringed and died a little inside. BUT! Keep in mind, we didn't say support was dead- we said we'd GOTTEN the impression that support was dead. This is something that had to be addressed by the higher-ups, and not you in particular. I am very glad this book out, I regret putting you a couple of depressing posts- but I don't renounce the posts or my opinions, as I still believe that this lack of communication hurts the fan-base more so then protects the publishers. 

Condemn all you want. FFG took the stance of no communication after Rogue Trader was announced. Before Rogue Trader FFG was very open about release dates. When those dates were pushed back, the vitriolic rage that flooded these boards caused them to do the only thing they could, cut off communication. It's better to have a few posts complaining about no communication than five different twenty page threads of overly hostile, mean spirited nerd rage on how FFG was purposely toying with their customers.

This set the precedent that communicating with the customer base through the forums was a bad idea and leads to nothing good. Since then the developers have seldom posted on the forums and communication is limited at best. The fan-base on these forums set the precedent. I don't think it will change anytime soon.

Don't worry about it- I am not actually condemning it, I was just making a veiled reference to our National Assembly in Quebec who are in the habit of doing just that to about everything :P 

I didn't actually mean it that way- I am just sad that its sort of a two way street: because of those people, FFG is now stuck with people like me, who would like more information but aren't getting it, so I vent on HMBC, who has information but isn't privy to give it.

But I guess whether I complain, or whether the people that yell when the game is delayed complain is the same to the giants- we all look like ants from up there, so might as well not look and save themselves the trouble. 

I am very pleased with the book, obviously, but there's a 0.0000001% of me that's slightly disappointed that they knew about this and didn't announce it earlier- especially after Only War. 

Saldre said:

But I guess whether I complain, or whether the people that yell when the game is delayed complain is the same to the giants- we all look like ants from up there, so might as well not look and save themselves the trouble. 

As a customer I want information.

As someone who works in a production field….whiny, needy customers are the bane of my existence. The more a customer bothers us, the harder it is and longer it takes to get their job and other customers jobs done. No matter how often we tell people 10-14 business days for production from time of approval, the same people go into "when, when, when, when, when, when, when" mode. Sometimes communication just doesn't seem to help.

I can sympathize with both sides. I just tend to fall on the side of the guys doing the work more often than not.

"I have walked the lonely halls of the manufactorum and looked upon the great constructs of the mechanicus. I can say with no doubt in my heart that it fills me with more terror than any visage of the warp… and they are our trusted allies? Emperor save us."

~Inquistor Skeletor

The best part of the Mechanicus to me is the mysticism and ignorance for which technology is held. In an almost sick way we are just as ignorant in our technology filled world today as we "shall be" in the 41st millennium (surrounded by technology with only a handful of people understanding how it works). Of course the only funny thing is that the guys "who know what they're doing" pray for the object to work!

This book should be excellent for exploring that world and I can't wait to see what comes out!

I have been looking forward to this books for a long time.  Thank you FFG for putting it in the Queue.  I will appreciate it when you have my money.  Patience is a virtue.

Salcor

Dulahan said:

Now hopefully it has Skittaari.

Pedantry: It's Skitarii (pronounced Skit-ar-ee-ay, due to the double-I at the end), which is the plural of Skitarius.

NO-1_H3r3,

I hope that you were heavily involved with this book.  It seemed that several years ago you had some very good inputs for the Mechanicus.  This is probably one of the books I have been looking forward to most for Dark Heresy.  Hopefully it will include information that can be used in RT and Ascensions.

Salcor

Salcor said:

NO-1_H3r3,

I hope that you were heavily involved with this book.

Alas, no. Though I did ask, about 18 months back, to be considered if an Adeptus Mechanicus sourcebook was developed, I didn't actually work on this book - I was probably working on Soul Reaver or Navis Primer (Rogue Trader sourcebooks that have been recently announced - both of which I did career paths for; Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior and Ork Weirdboy, respectively) when this was being developed.

I'm as excited as you guys for this to come out, because it's a subject matter rich with development opportunities and I can't wait to see what my illustrious peers have done with it (as I didn't work on it, I've not seen anything from it).

N0-1_H3r3 said:

I didn't actually work on this book - I was probably working on Soul Reaver or Navis Primer (Rogue Trader sourcebooks that have been recently announced - both of which I did career paths for; Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior and Ork Weirdboy, respectively) when this was being developed.

As much as I would've loved your input into Lathe Worlds, your Ork material has been my group's favorite part of rogue trader.  So for me, the trade off of getting the Ork Weirdboy is worth it.

Black_Kestrel said:

Its not that I dislike published adventures, its the inclusion of adventures in source books I dislike. I don't mind the adventure trilogies or the 3-in1 adventure books (Purge the Unclean, The Emperor Protects etc.) and much like you I mine them for profiles and ideas.

Same here.  It's the inclusion of "Adventures" in books that really are more obviously meant for players to have.  They just aren't that useful unless you, as GM, are the only one with any rulebooks.  Published adventures?  Your players might shy from buying.  But books with huge character options?  Like First Founding - full of essential character creation stuff for many potential players?  An adventure is wasted, because a player or more will likely want and have the book.

Is players reading an adventure really that big a deal? What sort of players are you playing with where you can't just go "Hey guys, please don't read the adventure as it'll ruin the surprise". If it goes any further than that, then I think the problem might be the people you're playing with, not the adventure.

BYE

ItsUncertainWho said:

Condemn all you want. FFG took the stance of no communication after Rogue Trader was announced. Before Rogue Trader FFG was very open about release dates. When those dates were pushed back, the vitriolic rage that flooded these boards caused them to do the only thing they could, cut off communication. It's better to have a few posts complaining about no communication than five different twenty page threads of overly hostile, mean spirited nerd rage on how FFG was purposely toying with their customers.

This set the precedent that communicating with the customer base through the forums was a bad idea and leads to nothing good. Since then the developers have seldom posted on the forums and communication is limited at best. The fan-base on these forums set the precedent. I don't think it will change anytime soon.

I accept that, but when they announced "Only War" they could have said something like "We know this was originally announced as a Dark Heresy product, but with the ideas we got we just felt this deserved a game line of its own. This has no implication for the future of Dark Heresy as a line as we have plans for future supplements and are even working on some great books at the moment."

I don't think this would have given anything away about suggested timetables, and I don't think it would have been a rediculous thing to soncider (especially considering there were already "Is Dark Heresy dead?" things already coming up before the announcment of Only War (which was often being used as evidence against Dark Heresy being dead).

H.B.M.C.:

Since you are in the know, how would you characterize the adventure? Is it the more horror and investigation type, or the more action one? Any good, disturbing scenes involving the Machine God?

borithan said:

I accept that, but when they announced "Only War" they could have said something like "We know this was originally announced as a Dark Heresy product, but with the ideas we got we just felt this deserved a game line of its own. This has no implication for the future of Dark Heresy as a line as we have plans for future supplements and are even working on some great books at the moment."

I don't think this would have given anything away about suggested timetables, and I don't think it would have been a rediculous thing to soncider (especially considering there were already "Is Dark Heresy dead?" things already coming up before the announcment of Only War (which was often being used as evidence against Dark Heresy being dead).

No, they are still better off saying nothing at all.

Imagine they did as you suggest, released a statement like "Only War" they could have said something like "We know this was originally announced as a Dark Heresy product, but with the ideas we got we just felt this deserved a game line of its own. This has no implication for the future of Dark Heresy as a line as we have plans for future supplements and are even working on some great books at the moment."

Then imagine that something happened and they had to cancel the DH line, or even just delay the release of any new books until (say) late next year. People would be screaming about FFG lying to them, treating the fans like crap etc etc.

When it comes to communicating with customers on a forum like this a company should either keep its mouth shut or else invest in the hiring of a dedicated communications officer who knows how to deal with the fanbase (not cheap). It's requires specific skills and isn't something you just have one of your staff do in their spare time. For an example of what happens when a company does otherwise see recent events at Red Brick games (hint: They had to shut down their forums due to the fanrage).

Sooo, assuming anybodies still interested in contents.

I'm hoping for some Legio Cybernetica career(s). How cool would it be to have (make) robots that are a mixture of remote control and primitive programming. Also bombots everywhere, maybe turrets (up to Tarrantulas).

Also Transmechanics, intercepting enemie transmissions, decoding stuff, sending fake messages, cybernetics to turn you into a walking satalite dish, yeah.

Basically any options for more nerdy tech preists rather than the cookie cutter walking tank.

I'm hoping that- despite the title- it contains info on a variety of Forge Worlds, not just the Lathes. I find Forge Worlds the hardest planets to make distinctive…

Adeptus-B said:

I'm hoping that- despite the title- it contains info on a variety of Forge Worlds, not just the Lathes. I find Forge Worlds the hardest planets to make distinctive…

Well, there's always Samech.  My character paid a visit there in a previous campaign, and was less than thrilled by that place's…  um, shall we call it 'unique charm'?  

All snark aside, in the other previous campaign (with me as GM), I introduced my players to the Forgeworld of Percipre.  (Yes, it is effectively a Forge-World since nearly everyone on the planet is a member of the Machine Cult.  The fact that the Magos Biologis are the dominant faction is irrelevant.)  That was an interesting visit, and I got a lot of good roleplaying out of it.  Such pretty flowers…  http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Percipre

Cheers,

- V. 

Erborn said:

Hmmm… interesting, will they describe the True Face of the Omnissiah, the fate of his faithful disciples and the technological wonders of the Golden Age of Technology in this hallowed tome, or shall we only see the gilded mask of the Imposter and his dogmatic views? It would be great to read about blessed Moravek and his devoted follower Kelbor-Hal and to bask in the glory of Lord Dragon and his immortal dreams which made the Mechanicum in the first place.

Anyone think it will be useful for rogue trader?