Sign in to follow this  
Dakkon426

ssu cards

The people at The Miniature Market told me the first release is not due till end of May and they could not tell me what it was yet. Im surprised to hear other sources are getting their items sooner but thats a good thing too.

mgentile7 said:

The people at The Miniature Market told me the first release is not due till end of May and they could not tell me what it was yet. Im surprised to hear other sources are getting their items sooner but thats a good thing too.

Wow, yeah theyll be way behind.  I've already heard about stores in New Hampshire, Sacramento, and Portland that have them on shelves already.  We're up by Seattle and I think ours hit tomorrow

blkdymnd said:

mgentile7 said:

Wow, yeah theyll be way behind.  I've already heard about stores in New Hampshire, Sacramento, and Portland that have them on shelves already.  We're up by Seattle and I think ours hit tomorrow

Well thats good your getting something soon. Thanks for the info.

We are talking about the SSU units being in shops and at the same time here in Europe getting hold of the Warfare book is almost impossible.
Every retailer I have checked still has it on Advance order.
It would be nice if the release of FFG product could be organised better so that everybody gets the items roughly at the same time.

Just got an invoice from CoolStuffInc this morning saying that an Order for SSU units has shipped.  Their WebSite says that they have the following:

Operation Zverograd
SSU Battle Squad
SSU Close Combat Squad
SSU Airborne Transport
SSU Command Squad

Unforunately only 3 of the five were in my shipment because I break the orders into smaller groups not knowing when any one will arrive.  My next order won't ship until KV47 Walkers are released.

Lieutenant A.C said:

I don t understand. FFG indicates that items SSU are "on boat" and not "shipping now" or "in stores now".

I think Miniature market is right. we must wait.

The Upcoming page had the Warfare book 'on the boat' 4 days after I bought it.  You can wait, but they are physically on shelves now.

smith2332 said:

My gut is telling me that these units are perfect for Dust Warfare and I'm guessing they are trying to promote that first with the SSU, cause right now they are worthless in Dust Tactics against the Allies and Axis cool.gif

Most likely the DustWarfare book gets released with these units, and Operational Zverograd will be released a week or two later with a few more units, If you have played Warfare you can get away with smaller armies because they have so many add on's in Warfare.

Nope, the Warfare book for SSU still hasn't been released yet, so however "useless" they are for Dust Tactics, they are even more useless for Dust Warfare.  And who knows if the units released so far are even allowed to be platoon leaders in Dust Warfare.  So yeah, everyone is waiting on the next wave of SSU before we can really jump into using them.

felkor said:

smith2332 said:

My gut is telling me that these units are perfect for Dust Warfare and I'm guessing they are trying to promote that first with the SSU, cause right now they are worthless in Dust Tactics against the Allies and Axis cool.gif

Most likely the DustWarfare book gets released with these units, and Operational Zverograd will be released a week or two later with a few more units, If you have played Warfare you can get away with smaller armies because they have so many add on's in Warfare.

Nope, the Warfare book for SSU still hasn't been released yet, so however "useless" they are for Dust Tactics, they are even more useless for Dust Warfare.  And who knows if the units released so far are even allowed to be platoon leaders in Dust Warfare.  So yeah, everyone is waiting on the next wave of SSU before we can really jump into using them.

Though it seems it's pretty close to what a 'combat platoon' would be.  Command squad at the top with infantry based type 2 squads.

First wave is in at coolstuff and also at Miniature Market though they have not updated their website ( I called them):

-Zverograd

-Chopper and Chinese

-Battle Squad

-Close Combat Squad

-Command Squad

I'm glad the SSU are coming out soon, since I have a friend who really likes their look, but I have a horrible feeling that he will quit the game soon after getting them. I'm planning on fielding a mixed army, with several medium and maybe a couple of heavy Axis walkers, but he'll have little defense against them. I have no problem with the SSU anti-infantry, they're squads are designed to rip through infantry armor 2. But the anti-walker lack worries me.

I see almost no "real" anti-armor weapons in the infantry, other than the single bazooka in the commissar squad.

The air-borne KV47 "Nina"-patterned walker has anti-tank, but even the fluff says they're short-ranged. This probably translates into a weapon with 2 or 1 range.

The regular KV47 doesn't have a dedicated anti-armor weapon that doesn't require you to get right up next to the enemy (Nadya has range 2 sulfur throwers, and Natalya has close combat weapons).

The MI-47 attack helicopter will help, but are they the only real option for anti-walker operations?

Considering that the newest Axis Medium walker has a range 10 laser, unless all the KV47s have Fast and Damage Resilient, I don't see them lasting very long even against the Allies ranged anti-walker weapons. I really don't want my friend to start the game and then give up in disgust when he can't take out walkers. Can anyone reassure me??

The SSU has decent anti-armour weaponry, what they don't have is range. Nadya's twin sulfur jets can be deadly, same as the Natalya's twin saws (with Berserk). Nina's RPGs "can defeat most armored foes in a single attack", and she makes up for her short range by being air lifted. The Fakyeli are very similar to BBQ squad, which has been known to bring many a walker to its knees. Attaching a Drakoni to them gives them 2 Assaults to quickly get to their target, and the bazooka can turn any other squad into a tank threat. And of course, the attack chopper will be a frightful threat to walkers.

So it's just a matter of using the SSU the right way. It will take some strategy, but it certainly can be done.

Ikka said:

I see almost no "real" anti-armor weapons in the infantry, other than the single bazooka in the commissar squad. /../ I don't see them lasting very long even against the Allies ranged anti-walker weapons. I really don't want my friend to start the game and then give up in disgust when he can't take out walkers. Can anyone reassure me??

SSU seems at a first glance to be a non-newbie-friendly faction in so far that they may require the (sound) tactics suggested already in this thread by previous posters. Consider:

1. Fury of Ivan

2. The assumption that your friend is not being a moron and running towards your mechs with his/her infantry as cannon fodder…

3. The other assumption that you, when trying to introduce a game to somebody, especially when that game costs a lot and takes time to learn, won't actually do your best to win over that person: Best thing for you to do to both have fun but also make sure your friend enjoys the game is to let your friend build an army first. Then look at it, and adapt, but only to a point where you know that whatever you build has a 30 - 40% chance of beating his army. The reason for this approach is simple - your friend can't be expected to know the meta-game yet, as well as you do, and thus shouldn't be "punished" by being beaten by you in his first couple of games. If you really want to have a good time always make sure you play even armies or that you are at some kind of serious disadvantage when you play an "inferior" player. 

Yes, you could start with some of the lopsided missions where your side has a numerical or strategic disadvantage. Just until he gets the hang of it. I'm sure an experienced SSU player will be able to give a VERY hard time to any axis or allies player.

I wasn't planning on spamming walkers, as I have very few at the moment. I was just worried that the lack of anti-armor ranged weapons will frustrate him. I have no problem taking an army with a disadvantage, but I'll have to be subtle to not insult him. Thanks for the good info.

Ikka said:

I wasn't planning on spamming walkers, as I have very few at the moment. I was just worried that the lack of anti-armor ranged weapons will frustrate him. I have no problem taking an army with a disadvantage, but I'll have to be subtle to not insult him. Thanks for the good info.

I don't think this should be a big problem. Many of the missions have quite a bit of LOS blocking terrain that would enable him to get close and use his RPG's etc against your walkers. It might be a little weak at first since the openning wave doesn't have a ton of choices, but I think they will be fin over the long hall.

with the lack of other rsnged anti-tank weapins perhaps not that much but the combination of immense shortrange firepower with the longrange anti material rifles will definatly make for some interesting battles.

From the latest article:

"And there’s more to come. The SSU KV47 Walker Expansion is on its way, representing the SSU’s greatest advances in walker technology."

So it seems we'll get the KV-47 box soon (it had been announced at the sime time as the currently available units), and then we'll get the second wave, including the commissars, at a later date.