Sign in to follow this  
Hupp234

BattleLore in 54

I ran 3 games of BatteLore at the Little Wars Convention outside of Chicago this last weekend using 54mm figures.  I used the Epic and Call to Arms expansions to play the Road to Poitiers scenario.  French won twice and English once, 9-8,8-9, 8-6.  I used the normal battlefield size to make the game play to conclusion in the time available.  All the rules worked well and each of the games was exciting right down to the end.  The English use of the darken the skies card kept them in all the games.

Here is a link to some pictures of the games in progress.

http://web.mac.com/whupp/iWeb/Bill%27s%20C%26C%20Games/BattleLore-Little%20Wars.html

Regards,

Bill

Man, this website is frustrating.  Anyway, I like the pics.  The 54 mm figures are very striking. Kudos!

Darken the Skies tends to fizzle in our games, unless it is paired with Magic Missiles or Eagle Eye, that is.

Bill,

Thats an incredible series of pics!  Well done.  Did the young ones have fun?  I saw some smiling facing in the background.

Your collection of figures is quite impressive.  What line of miniatures do you use?  How did you base them?  It looks like three infantry to a base, but perhaps I didn't get a good view.  Did you originally use these for another rules system?

I don't care what anyone else says....BattleLore just looks better in large scale.

-rob

Foxburr,  Thanks.  My website or FFG?  My apologies about the long link, I need to use tinylinks in the future.  Any comments on my website are welcome.  It is pretty mechanical application of iphoto and iweb.

Rob,

Thanks.

The figures are a number of different makers, but primarily Italieri and Accurate.  I can't claim to have painted more than a couple of them.  Most I bought from Chris Parker, who had based and collected them for his own Medieval rules, Day of Battle, and who was trading up from 54mm to the 90mm Schliech prepainted figures.  The flags are from the FlagDude.  The basing is mostly each figure 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch with 2 man and 1 man stands.  Billmen and spearmen where 3 to a stand.  The hexes are 4 inch hexes.  I'll be adding Scots and Spanish Moslems to model dwarves and goblins in the game historically.   On the site you can see other Command and color games including Azanulbizar in 25mm.

The games were incredibly close and exciting.  The kids had a great time.  The English bowmen were generally devastating and the french knights charged around like crazy with plenty of follow on attacks. I've put on Parent-Child games at Little Wars for 8 of the lsat 9 years.

Bill

Chris Parker?  CHRIS PARKER???  Is this is the same Chris Parker that put on a Days of Battle display at Historicon?  If it is, then he costs me money!  And a lot of it.  I was so impressed with his 90mm display that I immediately converted all of my gaming to that scale.  And I never looked back either.  The figures are all pre-painted and have exquisite detail.  I was absolutely "wowwed" when I walked away from Historicon 2007, and I have Chris to thank for it.  Unfortunately I didn't purchase his rules (I'm not a measurement-movement type of gamer).  But I did leave there with knowing that his display was the most impressive.

-rob