Sign in to follow this  
player780570

advantages/ disadvantages

Hi

just want to clarify the rules for the above.  Does a player start with 3 points to spend on advantages or do they have to aquire these points by getting disadvantages first?

cheers

Duncan

ThePhlapBadhu said:

just want to clarify the rules for the above.  Does a player start with 3 points to spend on advantages or do they have to aquire these points by getting disadvantages first?

Start with 3, Disadvantages can give more (up to 9 [3Base+6Disad] I believe).

what the others have said start with 3, then 3 disadvantage max granting between 1 and 6 extra advantage points

note, points gained from magic disadvantage can only be used to buy magic advantage

same rule for psychic

same rule for background disadvantage as well from Gaia book

there is no special restriction on general disadvantage

Ah ha! That's what I thought the book meant, but I was a bit unsure. A poster above mentioned 6 point disadvantages. I take it those are available from one of the supplemental books, not the main rule book?

Sakara said:

Ah ha! That's what I thought the book meant, but I was a bit unsure. A poster above mentioned 6 point disadvantages. I take it those are available from one of the supplemental books, not the main rule book?

No, no disadvantage is worth more than 2 points. I didn't want to go into a lot of detail, but they are correct above, you start with 3CP and can get 3 Disadvantages. As that disadvantages can be worth up to 2CP each, three 2-point disadvantages would be worth a total of 6CP giving the maximum CP a character can start with of 9.

Lia Valenth said:

No, no disadvantage is worth more than 2 points. I didn't want to go into a lot of detail, but they are correct above, you start with 3CP and can get 3 Disadvantages. As that disadvantages can be worth up to 2CP each, three 2-point disadvantages would be worth a total of 6CP giving the maximum CP a character can start with of 9.

Ah, ok! Thanks for the clarification! I just bought the Anima: Beyond Fantasy and Gaia: Beyond the Dreams books, and am still reading through the former.

My GM said that he read that Background disadvantages can count towards the general disadvantages. This is probably an alternate rule stated in either the Gaia book or the GM toolkit.

MrNefarious said:

My GM said that he read that Background disadvantages can count towards the general disadvantages. This is probably an alternate rule stated in either the Gaia book or the GM toolkit.

Actually, it is not quite as Raybras says.  If you read the text explaining background advantages, it says some General Advantages found in the core book, such as Wealth and Artifact, actually count as Background Advantages, and can be taken with Background Disadvantage points, that is probably what your friend meant.