Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Julia

To Horus725

Recommended Posts

Walk said:

At the risk of being banned for…insubordination, I suppose, I rather suspect that this is one policy that FFG won't be enforcing too strictly.  If I'm wrong and they start bringing the hammer down just for answering rules questions, then I may have to take your advice and abandon ship, but for the moment, let's wait and see.

I'm quite willing to risk being banned from a forum that has become functionally useless. Of course, it would be nice if someone from FFG would care to clarify this issue. Are they concerned that rules questions may be incorrectly answered here? Is the weight of all the posting costing too much to run in terms of server space?

I would say that my knowledge of this game has been greatly enhanced by these forums. By reading rule questions and answers/discussions I have learnt about gameplay elements that I did not even realise I was getting wrong.

I do hope you are correct and this will not be something that is strictly enforced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speculative post incoming. 

It's not that we can't discuss the rules it's that anyone who has seen the nigh legendary Arkham Horror FAQ have apparently been told they can't say anything else pertaining to it.  Basically they can't answer any rules questions without being 100% sure they don't include any info from the FAQ That Shall Not Be Named or they'll get spanked or whatnot.  NDAs are a *****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. Well..

I think our NDAs might have expired, but just in case, I've been in the habit of not divulging anything since signing it. Same holds for Brian and Avi I'll bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

arkhamresident said:

Speculative post incoming. 

It's not that we can't discuss the rules it's that anyone who has seen the nigh legendary Arkham Horror FAQ have apparently been told they can't say anything else pertaining to it.  Basically they can't answer any rules questions without being 100% sure they don't include any info from the FAQ That Shall Not Be Named or they'll get spanked or whatnot.  NDAs are a *****.

 

The first rule of Arkham FAQ is: You do not talk about the Arkham FAQ.

I've forgotten the second rule, can anyone remind me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I feel I must check: what are the latest rumors about the "no rules discussions" topic? Any official statements? Any thoughts?

Btw, this thread is really off-topic. One could almost suspect that someone has been trying to camouflage it  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard anything about an official pronouncement.  But, as you might expect, there have been plenty of threads discussing rules questions and not a single ban or warning.  Thus, I believe the rule can be safely ignored at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walk said:

I haven't heard anything about an official pronouncement.  But, as you might expect, there have been plenty of threads discussing rules questions and not a single ban or warning.  Thus, I believe the rule can be safely ignored at this point.

 

I'ts usually after saying out lout that it's safe to ignore a rule that banning starts to occur!

 

Don't jinx us!!! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*eerie laughter echoing down ebony halls*

Years ago, and I mean years, going back to the ancient one of these forums, I began to despair of the state of things. This is back in the day of the original Dark Pharaoh,"The Crawling Chaos" as I refer to it, which was riddled with confusing cards and mechanics. At the time, we (the community) had the occasional visit from Kevin shedding rays of Light on our brows, but most of the time we hacked out a consensus. Indeed, it was part of the fun of being here. You never knew what craziness was going to spawn itself from the abomination of noetic soup that are  The Rules.

But the questions started mounting, and more and more, they became the kind of questions that we could not hack out a consensus on. Additionally, appearances by Kevin were random, he would just pop up in a thread discussing something, drop a bomb, and leave, depositing a wake of begging letters pleading for answers in his wake. This is the situation I eventually began to despair of, since expansions were at that point inevitably going to add to the problem…I figured I would comb the entire forum looking for all these questions we had no answers for, whether or not we had evolved our own consensus. It took forever, but I figured Kevin might answer a few more if he knew where to look. Questions were gradually added, and added, but only a handful ever received any attention.

What happened then, I believe, is that Kevin took one look at that corpulent list of questions, and ran for the hills. We didnt see him answering questions much more after that…I figure that at that point, the scale of the project went way beyond him and a decision was taken to officially address these issues: the legend of the FAQ was born. The rest of the story is of course many additions to the FAQ by many people and one long wait looking at tumbleweed as everyone here knows. I long ago gave up waiting for the answers to our questions, but I still feel that the FAQ will appear one day. Why? And why so long when the LCGs get such regular FAQs?

The answer, I believe, is complex and involves management issues, a lack of will, the desire to wait for an appropriate moment to announce that the game is finished (which never arrives), a lack of time and the arcane manipulations of Yog Sothoth. Meanwhile, we have been happily getting by with what we know, even though our hunger for forbidden knowledge is ever growing.

As for why I think well see it, I have faith in the company. Of course, I also really do want us to get our answers, and cant bear to think that we have all wasted our time. But some part of me will feel sad too, because then the debates will be over, we will be somewhat less creative, and, by all the signs, Arkham will be finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dj2.0 said:

The answer, I believe, is complex and involves management issues, a lack of will, the desire to wait for an appropriate moment to announce that the game is finished (which never arrives), a lack of time and the arcane manipulations of Yog Sothoth.

It's definitely Yog-Sothoth

dj2.0 said:

But some part of me will feel sad too, because then the debates will be over, we will be somewhat less creative, and, by all the signs, Arkham will be finished.

That's a really good point. Now that I finally found a forum worth visiting regularly, it would be sad if half the activity disappeared because of someone just telling me the answers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julia said:

In the meantime, Horus725 never answered my call ::laughter::

This thread was simply destined for a greater purpose I guess.gui%C3%B1o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dj2.0 said:

Of course, I also really do want us to get our answers, and cant bear to think that we have all wasted our time. But some part of me will feel sad too, because then the debates will be over, we will be somewhat less creative, and, by all the signs, Arkham will be finished.

Well, not necessarily.  Perhaps the designers will release the FAQ before Arkham is over, having confidence that the mechanics and cards in future expansions will be absolutely clear, having no mistakes or inconsistencies.

It could happen….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walk said:

Well, not necessarily.  Perhaps the designers will release the FAQ before Arkham is over, having confidence that the mechanics and cards in future expansions will be absolutely clear, having no mistakes or inconsistencies.

It could happen….

After all, we had some FAQ printed in the DH rulebook…

People from Descent (first edition) are still waiting for their 120 pages of questions to be answered as well… I mean, we're not alone. In the dark. There there. Nice, little slimy tentacle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could happen, I agree, hence my use of the phrase 'all the signs…' but then, Cthulhu might also fly, we simply wont know until It wakes up. But wake It will…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...