Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lurkerabove

Honour the Chapter page count??

148 posts in this topic

Gaire said:

 Could be Exsanguinators, though I think they've been destroyed.

 

Remember, the fluff for the 40kverse in general tends to go a few hundred years past where Deathwatch is.  So destroyed they may be, but in Deathwatch's timeframe, they might just be in their Twilight.  So still a VERY good option for a player then.  Just like Black Consuls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dulahan said:

Remember, the fluff for the 40kverse in general tends to go a few hundred years past where Deathwatch is.  So destroyed they may be, but in Deathwatch's timeframe, they might just be in their Twilight.  So still a VERY good option for a player then.  Just like Black Consuls.

I know about the timeline, but I haven't really been able to find any fluff on the Exsanguinators, so not sure if FFG would be willing to take them on. I mean, neither of the 40k wikis lists their colors or their chapter badge, sooo…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, given the Blood Ravens are in, and how relatively obscure some of those on the banner picture link I posted are.  Not to mention my aforementioned quote about how this is going to have a 'huge number of chapters…'

 

Now I'm really starting to wonder what Huge will mean for number of chapters.  After all, those who are functionally equivalent to their founding chapter could easily be covered in a page.  Just a different demeanor or something listed.  While those who diverge a lot?  Well, you can get full writeups. 

 

Yeah, suddenly the sky is the limit (well, and the 140ish page count) for how many chapters this is going to introduce. I was expecting maybe 10 new ones originally, now?  20ish or more wouldn't shock me. 

 

It needs to bloody come out already.  :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well, if they actually stick to their "late 2nd quarter" release date, it has to come out this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Here in Sweden its noted as coming out in July so I wouldn't cross my fingers just yet, even if I do hope that I am wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's out somewhere, because a guy I know who always gets things before any of us has his copy.

Full new Chapter list:
 

  • Blood Ravens
  • Red Scorpions
  • Marines Errant
  • Flesh Tearers
  • Crimson Fists
  • Howling Griffons
  • Nova Marines
  • Raptors
  • Carcharodons


Plus sections on:
 

  • Black Templars (Sword Brother/Emp's Champ)
  • Storm Wardens (Tempest Blade)


BYE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird..  that is not what I'd call 'a lot' - the wording made it sound like there'd be over a dozen to me.  And for all I'm disappointed there aren't more.  We still have all the tools for new ones in Rites of Battle.  And more importantly, new character options!  After all, I highly doubt most killteams are mainly Primogeniture chapters.  ;)

 

The only real disappointment about the chapters is no "Dark Sons" since they were mentioned so much in Jericho Reach.

 

 

Still, I'll take what I can get!  I just hope this doesn't mean there will be an adventure.  This is a Player's Book, not a GM book.  Adventures in Players Books are wasted space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well, they are putting in new character creation rules, another armory chapter, the new chapters, and perhaps more specialties than the ones for the Templars and Wardens, so that'll take some room. On the other hand, the Products page for Deathwatch does mention "guidance and plot seeds for GMs", so that might indicate an adventure…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think adventures are the core of any roleplaying game.

They may not sell well, but I feel they are extremely important to getting the game played.

I would argue that games that see a lot of play usually have very healthy adventure collections. All right Call of Cthulhu and DnD have healthy adventure collections. But that is most of roleplaying right there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 By the list posted above, since the book has the Blood Ravens and Raptors, I am a happy camper.

 

How much detail does the different chapters have? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AluminiumWolf said:

I think adventures are the core of any roleplaying game.

They may not sell well, but I feel they are extremely important to getting the game played.

I would argue that games that see a lot of play usually have very healthy adventure collections. All right Call of Cthulhu and DnD have healthy adventure collections. But that is most of roleplaying right there!

 

I'm not against adventures.

 

I'm against Adventures in PLAYER books like this.  This is the sort of book players will have interest in buying, compared to a published adventure which players won't need to buy.  That makes it a useless adventure to ever use, because players could easily have read it.  Especially if they did before ever entering a group.  A GM can't well ask a person to not read something they already did!  And then the adventure is just useless.  Save adventures for adventure books.  (As a player, I don't ever buy the adventures, but I do buy every other supplement)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I picked up the book today.  It has the chapters H.B.M.C. mentions, which are covered in-depth.  There are also quite a few chapters covered in brief as well.  There's even a section on making a Legion of the Damned player character!  Overall length is 144 pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PrimarchX said:

 I picked up the book today.  It has the chapters H.B.M.C. mentions, which are covered in-depth.  There are also quite a few chapters covered in brief as well.  There's even a section on making a Legion of the Damned player character!  Overall length is 144 pages.

 

Ooooh hooo hooo!!!

 

How much is there for the ones covered in brief?  Are we talking Rites of Battle style two-three paragraphs?  Ir is it that plus some characteristic bonuses or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain Ventris said:

Legion of the Damned? The Fire Hawks haven't vanished yet in the Deathwatch timeline - did they change the LotD fluff?

…Warp-based time travel? For playing a game in another era? I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dulahan said:

Weird..  that is not what I'd call 'a lot' - the wording made it sound like there'd be over a dozen to me.  And for all I'm disappointed there aren't more.  We still have all the tools for new ones in Rites of Battle.  And more importantly, new character options!  After all, I highly doubt most killteams are mainly Primogeniture chapters.  ;)


 

 

They’re the Chapters that get full write-ups like the main 6 in the core rulebook, Imp Fists in Rites and the other four in First Founding. There are a lot more Chapters in the book than just those.

BYE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H.B.M.C. said:

Dulahan said:

Weird..  that is not what I'd call 'a lot' - the wording made it sound like there'd be over a dozen to me.  And for all I'm disappointed there aren't more.  We still have all the tools for new ones in Rites of Battle.  And more importantly, new character options!  After all, I highly doubt most killteams are mainly Primogeniture chapters.  ;)


 

 

They’re the Chapters that get full write-ups like the main 6 in the core rulebook, Imp Fists in Rites and the other four in First Founding. There are a lot more Chapters in the book than just those.

BYE

 

That's awesome.  Basically doubles our fully wroteup numbers…

 

But how much detail is there for the rest?  I've got 2-4 days before I'll get the book.  So am curious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H.B.M.C. said:

  • Blood Ravens
  • Red Scorpions
  • Raptors
  • Carcharodons

 

How wonderful! Do we know what Advanced Specialties are in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H.B.M.C. said:

  • Black Templars (Sword Brother/Emp's Champ)
  • Storm Wardens (Tempest Blade)

Well, judging by the Storm Wardens preview, and the Advanced Specialities listed, that looks like it's the other material I worked on at the time I was writing my part of First Founding (because those chapters are in the rulebook, work was done on them at that point). The Black Templars section was quite fun to work on, actually, as their psychology made it quite easy to develop additional rules for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Could anybody list ALL the Chapters with specifc rules please (even if it´s RoB size)? e 

Also what are the new advanced specialities? Any new deeds?

Oh, and some closer description of Carchadorons and Howling Griffons if anybody could provide it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a random aside, the reference to marines being present at Normandy pained me… but then I am a pedant and history is a speciality of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

borithan said:

As a random aside, the reference to marines being present at Normandy pained me… but then I am a pedant and history is a speciality of mine.

Ok, I wasn't the only one. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Well, judging by the Storm Wardens preview, and the Advanced Specialities listed, that looks like it's the other material I worked on at the time I was writing my part of First Founding (because those chapters are in the rulebook, work was done on them at that point). The Black Templars section was quite fun to work on, actually, as their psychology made it quite easy to develop additional rules for them.


You're correct. It's those bits. The Sword Brother is easily one of my, if not my fav, advanced speciality. Using him all those many moons ago was so much fun. I'm glad the 'official' rules for him are finally in print! gran_risa.gif

BYE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0