Sign in to follow this  
Twn2dn

Announcing NYC Regionals - Kingsmoot in the East 2012

SirDuck said:

I am getting fairly excited as well, though I keep on second guessing what deck I should play.

Oh come now. We all know it's going to be Stark siege, and your wife is going to be playing Martell summer at like 90 cards. :P

Hah, that combination took 2nd and 3rd at DC, so I wouldn't be suprised if it was similar...  But its hard to tell, more cards have come out since then and sometimes you just have to try new things.

Twn2dn said:

Decklists will be required for this event but will NOT be shared after the tourney. These will be used only to resolve any questions about deck legality, if needed.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3220

Specifically, "Additionally, this year’s competitive decks will combine the learnings of not just the last few local tournaments, but the collective wisdom of players spanning countries and regions around the globe. Players have begun to reach beyond their local groups to share deck lists and discuss strategies. Myriad strategy articles have emerged on the player forums and various fan websites."

Except from your own tournament lololololol.

Danigral said:

Could the TO provide an advanced ruling on the Free Man "wilding" trait? Will it be considered "wildling"?

I''m going to nip this one in the bud and say that it IS considered a "wildling" for all intensive purposes, and that any effects that interact with wildlings also interact with Free Man. In Kennon''s most recent 2 Champs 1 Chump episode, he mentioned an unofficial ruling from Damon that this was to be considered a wildling. If anyone has any reason to doubt the veracity of Kennon''s remarks, let me know. Otherwise we will treat this as the "official" ruling for the sake of the NYC regionals.

If someone can present an extremely compelling reason why this should not be the case BASED ON FACTS, then we can reconsider accordingly. A good example would be if someone wants to confirm that 2-3 non-English versions have the same typo…in other words, this *might* persuade me that the "typo" was intentional. (I assume, without evidence, that if I compare Italian, French, Chinese and other versions of this card, the trait is the translated form of "wildling" without a typo. I could very much be wrong here, but I doubt it.)

The recent 2 Champs 1 Chump analysis that argued a literal definition of the trait (in other words, Free Man is not a wilding), was, in my opinion, unpersuasive. There was no research or data to support the hypothesis…merely logic based on assumptions. I don''t mean to suggest that the podcast hosts are definitively wrong, only that I find this logic had significant holes, and that nobody bothered to undertake the necessary but relatively easy work (emailing Europeans, Chinese players, etc.) of collecting the data. I''m similarly lazy, and will in this case *assume* that I know designer''s intent without reaching out to Europeans, and I will thus strongly recommend that our TO rule accordingly.

The place can be a tad difficult to find, and as such we've set up a Google voice number that will ring a couple of the New York guys.

If you need to reach us, call (646) 434-8213.

Twn2dn said:

Danigral said:

Could the TO provide an advanced ruling on the Free Man "wilding" trait? Will it be considered "wildling"?

I''m going to nip this one in the bud and say that it IS considered a "wildling" for all intents and purposes…

Well, I'm back in Boston. I will be posting my tournament report to cardgamedb.com within a couple hours. I hope to see you all again in DC!

We had a great time yesterday with 22 players attending. I don't have time for a full tourney report (and I don't want to spoil it for what I believe someone else is currently working on), but I do want to offer a few thanks:

DC meta: You guys really come in force and represent. Every match is a fun and competitive game. (Special thanks to Jack, who is one of the most fun people to play against and always a gracious player. I hope we meet again, and next time you'll beat me!)

Pennsylvanians: Where were you guys two years ago? It's like you suddenly showed in in DC/NYC tournaments and started kicking butt. (Rachel…you've beat me twice in a row now. Can we agree that it's my turn to win next time we face off?)

Boston: Kyle, wish there were more players like you…great gaming, and Ascension after the tourney was a blast.

New York: Chris and Anthony…nice work rounding up a few Long Islanders, hope we see you more regularly on Thursdays. Special thanks to Rich, Matt and Jim who ran an incredibly smooth and fun tournament, despite a number of hurdles (including random restrictions from the venue owner and a lack of a laptop to run pairings). Matt - your incredible, wizard-like skills at pairing on paper while also factoring in win % and average strength of schedule that ignored byes/drops is impressive and somewhat scary. Thank all of you… you really are the best (and frankly, the only) friends I have here in New York. I play this game because of the community, and you exemplify the best of what the AGOT community is.

Agrred - wonderful event and great seeing old firends and meeting soem new ones. I was really glad to see kpmccoy again who travelled up alone from Delaware and I hope we cna see more of Skeletenator and Lars again in the future. All teh DC guys were great - and special thanks to Matt, jim and Ricjh for really running a great torunament. I remeber handling 22 person events without software and it is a difficult job. This was the firts tiome you guys ran a big tourney like this (22 is still the highest number we have ever done for a NYV event - lets try and beat it this Black friday) and you guys were amazing!!

And let me be the first to say: CONGRATULATIONS FATMOUSE. Wya to represent Ny and Long Island. I couldn't be happier for you and aprt of me is very proud as well. Uber crew FTW. Great job, kid.

It was an interesting final for sure, with Winter vs Winter. I was playing in the cube draft at the time though, which is such a baller game. I have posted my TR to cardgamedb.com, and barring any crazy revisions that may need to be made, it should be showing up tomorrowish and be a great thing to read (I hope) on your morning commute!

Senff: can you post a link to your blog or whatever here for those of us who don't frequent multiple sites for the game.

Jack: you were very much missed. i'd love to bring an even stronger Long island delegation to the next big NYC event. given our group,we should bring no less than five to each of these things, and really seven would be even more representative.

It was a great event. I was most surprised that in the field fo twenty two - there were NO LANNISTER decks. Two Baratheon, two Targaryen and the other eigtheen were wll Stark, Martell or Greyjoy. But no lying, regicidal, treasonous Lannisters. Refreshing, if surprising - given their venal allure.

I really wish I had made it. Sounds like the tourney was great. Getting sick sucks. However, a couple extra days with the girlfriend and breaking the 18hr drive back home in half to visit family along the way is nice.

The odd thing about the final game was that both of us were playing winter decks but neither of us opted to make it winter. Mouse played great, beat me in 4 turns i think.

Hey everyone, most of you guys probably don't remember me, but I drove over from Scranton to participate in the tournament. Had a lot of fun even though my deck only worked well a couple times. I went for a Greyjoy mill deck, but didn't really commit to either saves or cancels, and turns out I didn't have enough of either, but hey, that's why I play with new people.

I will say that I had my moral victory of milling the entire deck of my first opponent, and even though I lost the game, I FEEL like I really won. It was odd to face so many greyjoy players, when I started in NYC almost 4 years ago, it was really just me and I think one other person…. but hey, I'm not complaining.

My deck also had winter ravens, but only for the Marauders, which I think didn't help either. I definitely have more ideas to focus the deck and make it stronger.

I had a great time meeting some new people, seeing all my old NYC friends, and some of the DC people too. I'm hoping that in the coming year I can set up a regional event here in Scranton in the big gaming store, after all, its only 2 hrs from philly and NYC, 4 from DC and 6 from boston. I'll even clean my townhouse and let people stay for free, as long as you don't mind the cats…

I'm working on building up a scranton meta, I have two other players, a Stark and a Targ, so we'll be practicing for the next tourney we can get to.

I was hoping that some people would be able to send me decklists (doesn't have to be exactly what you played) but as a greyjoy player, I have a hard time building martell and targ decks so its hard for me to teach and practice with my newbies. I made some, but they're less than optimal… Anyway, I'll keep poking around the forums for ideas too.

Hope to see you northeast guys again soon, and hopefully we can entice you up here to play!

I wanted to give my thanks to the NYC meta(s) for setting up an excellent event and being great guys across-the-board.

Thanks to Derek, Nikki, Matt, Dennis, and (Stag)Chris for the excellent games!

Kyle, Dan, and Dennis: I would not have been able to attend without you guys and I cannot thank you enough.

Erick and Corey…cube……;)

Also, wish melee had actually gone off based on how much fun we had in the lone game!

Hope to see lots of familiar faces at the DC Regional!