Sign in to follow this  
venkelos

Wanna Buy a Space Station?

So, one little thing I feel that RT overlooked, even if most people will likely say "who cares?" is the use of/availability of space stations. Under the right circumstances, I am under the opinion that a Rogue Trader can claim a world in the name of the Emperor (part of their "extending the boarders of the Imperium/being conquistadors" duty), and while I'm sure some of them might then shift to the control of the Adeptus Terra, who might send their own people out to administer the place, if you don't tell the Imperium, or if the planet is uninhabited, say rich in mineral wealth, and you plan to sit on it, and sell it, you might want to control it, yourself. Whether that means you spend some time there (maybe while your players take some time off), or just appoint some of your Warrant-given underlings to administer the place for you, in the background (it's amazing what you can get away with, under the Imperium, if you just smile, pay your tithes, and don't rub up against a Ruinous Power), it might be easier to oversee your new acquisition from above (being a lofty sky god). If this is your goal, a space station might seem the best option. Question, how might one get one? I assume they are sold like ships. Could you just pick a hull, say a cruiser, and adjust cost for some of the missing bits, plus some of the added station bits, and say you have a station? Has anyone had their players purchase a space station, before? If so, what was your mechanic for it?

Last dumb question here, but it stands to reason; if you purchase a space station (doesn't have engines), what might be required to tow it to your planet of interest? I don't know how well various towing methods stand up to warp travel, and remember the book describing how dumb a few people were made to feel when they realized that a Ramilles-class Starfort was NOT going to safely travel through the Jericho-Maw warp gate, and that's a stable path. I have an idea for a mining world, owned by Rogue Trader interests, more than likely, and I plan to have a space station in orbit, with mining gear, ship-repair tech, and other such cool things. Might even have a variant of the auto-temple for mining stuff, sort of how they could drop a prefab mining facility, as soon as they know there's something there to mine, and the station makes a good launching point for transport ships. If this was going to be more a "this is how the players could do it", and less a "GM caveat", how might one go about it?

Thanks much, and have a great one.

Considering size and how they are used, I would use the same modifier in ship points than a Universal-Mass Conveyour. Seems appropiate to me.

Off-topic:

I didn't know Rogue Trader must to give their discovered planets to the Imperium, I tought they could do anything they want with them as long as they pay taxes.

I don't remember what it is in, I'm thinking one of the Battlefleet Gothic codexes, but there are rules for a space station there and they state that in order to move one, you have to have a crapload of battlecruisers all synch up and warp jump at the same time. And it is extremely, extremely risky. You're better off just putting a regular old ship into geo-synchronos orbit around a planet and calling it a space station. Or you could weld a few together. Whatever floats your boat.

That'd be the Ramilies. That thing's bigger than most grand cruisers.

In general, I ask the players what kind of station they're looking for, then modify an appropriately-sized ship, changing any dorsal weapons to aft and refluffing the design. Works pretty well for the most part.

Just because the planet pays taxes to the adminstratum doesn't mean the dynasty loses all control over it. There's very little to stop the rogue trader planting one of his trusted servants as planetary governor. As per background, the adeptus terra don't care who rules a planet or how so long as they follow a few simple rules (pay taxes, hand over psykers, aid the imperium when asked). Of course political rivals will try to counter that but that's a matter for roleplaying and player cunning. I've been in games where players have taken and held worlds and very much made those into private retreats and fiefdoms. Loyal to the Imperium at large, of course.

I approve of the suggestions of adapting the rules for an equivalent sized voidship. A Ramilles is huge by the way and can host multiple cruisers. The battleship of space stations?

Your question about the space station is exactly in line with the current campaign im running ( see creating squat tech/voidships )....though my players havent gotten there yet...

The deal for the space stations as im setting them up are simple....

1) you will spend a number of PF points equivalent to the size/type of space station you want ( base PF for equivalent hull size ( as this denotes how much space you have IN the space station to cram equipment etc... ) plus the PF value of the items inside it..so the larger more spacious stations with more gear will cost you more PF accordingly

2) The stations are not warp-jumped ( as stated before it is simply too risky )...both to the stations and the ships attempting it...Instead they are transported in sections in the cargo holds of transport ships and assembled zero-G where the station is wanted to be placed at....Now this does take time ( both in warp transit and setup to operational sections )...BUT..its safer than trying one grand warp-translation...AND>.it lets you build your starbases without being monitored by very many...keeping your desire for secrecy...

I currently have the rules for Fortresses in place on the planet my campaign has found in the hands of the RT....as well as several stations now ( the planet has a mineable asteroid field in far orbit...currently the main station is in place orbiting the planet..and 3 satelite mining stations have been set up ( this has taken the RT about 2 decades to do because it started when trying to retrieve a planetbound battleship lost since the horus heresy and having to use Inquisitional ties to deal with the local indigenous population ( a necron tombworld...that campaign took almost 15yrs game time to finally deal with them...and netted the RT a lucrative deal with the Inquisition ordos Hereticus AND Xenos from turning over most all of the aquired tech etc..of the xenos for study...The RT dynasty in control of the system has direct ties to the Ordos hereticus ( hence the deals struck ) and over generations has assisted with ships and manpower on many occasions for the Inquisitions ordos ( all fo them ) as needed...so they tend to have a higher than avg PF value for it ( all the shady dealings with the shady Inquisition..lol ) In exchange for this...the ordos tend to turn a blind eye to the activities of the dynasty and are willing to assist by dealing with any ( formal ) issues that arise from such...making them simply silence or disappear entirely...the dynasty has a higher up member that IS a hereticus Inquisitor...so fully half of the Inquisitors retinues have been placed in system to ensure secrecy AND to deal with any issue as needed with full Inquisition authority...The Dynasty plan is to begin setup for a shipyard mining the local asteroid fields and planets for materials to reduce costs dramatically....and using primarily servitor based labor ( to cut overall costs ) for ship creation...And yes...this is both for the Imperium to purchase and for the RT dynasty to use to build/replace new/lost ships as time goes

The inclusion of a shipyard is a massive undertaking and wont be complete for some time yet..but it is well on its way...with plenty of backing...since they do intend on having a second "shadow" shipyard operational very soon ( for use of the Dynasty and inquisition exclusively ) This yard is hidden in a very large celestial phenomenon in the system and guarded with a few screen ships , mine fields, and static asteroid/gun platforms.  ALL the ships the dynasty uses and will produce for itself and the Inquisition from this yard will be using the repulsion shield technology instead of normal void shields...that way the shields are still fully operational in celestial phenomenon and the ship looses no navigational data or maneuverability while in them..giving a distinct advantage when facing pesky eldar pirate scum...