Sign in to follow this  
Brolthemighty

Making whips count

Alright, so there's a PC in the group I'm playing in that has an Arch-Militant.  After last night's session, she has become really enamored with her Mono-Groxwhip.  Even wants to make it her main weapon.  However....it's usefullness/effectiveness is greatly diminished once you start coming up against armored or tough foes.  So here's my post, and my question.

1.) Have you ever had, or you yourself, tried to have a character focused around whip use, and how'd it go?

2.) What ways can you think of to make whips as useful as say, power swords and their ilk?  The whips from Iron Man 2 come to mind, but I'd like to tap the RT community for it's creativeness and see what people have come up with, or maybe unique archeotech/alien tech.

TBH, our experience with mono-whips has been that they're pretty over-powered as-is, but that could be a result of jammy dice-rolls and NPCs with medium armour.

That didn't stop someone from proposing Force or Runic/Pentagrammic variations, of course (he was playing a Templar Calix 'ported to Rogue Trader)... and the immediate rejoinder from the person playing the Missionary: "Why not go the whole hog and bind a daemon in there".

At that point I stopped the discussion, on the grounds that the players held their Charter from the Ecclesiarchy, and were making frequent background endeavour cash by giving lifts to high priests of various sorts, but if you can deal with corrupted Arch-Militants with daemon weapons, go for it- the rules for Pentagrammic and Daemon weapons are on p120 of Disciples of the Dark Gods (a Dark Heresy supplement).

Otherwise, possibly fit it with a tox-dispenser (every hit poisoned), or a shock generator? A power field would be an interesting one as well.

Brolthemighty said:

1.) Have you ever had, or you yourself, tried to have a character focused around whip use, and how'd it go?

2.) What ways can you think of to make whips as useful as say, power swords and their ilk?  The whips from Iron Man 2 come to mind, but I'd like to tap the RT community for it's creativeness and see what people have come up with, or maybe unique archeotech/alien tech.

1) I haven't myself but more than one arch-militant around here has gone straight for the mono-grox whip to begin with and made great use of it. If very tough enemies show up, yes the whip is going to suffer in comparison but it's not a bad weapon at all.

2) Whips with the Toxic or Shocking qualities seem appropriate. A "power whip" aka Iron Man 2 would be a tricky beast. Most power weapons are built around a single solid mass. I see a power whip as requiring several metal links, each with a smaller power field, all designed to work with each other even as they move. Building such a weapon would be a great feat even for an experience Magos Artisan. Definitely not something that would be lying around in a merchant house or even the average forge world.

All great ideas!  I like the idea of the Shock whip myself.  Although it doesn't really address the issues with armor.  Of course......the daemon binding is a great idea, and one that would actually fit.  Seeing as the Seneschal (me) already has a Dark Pact going, with one of the addendums of trying to corrupt the Crew.  So a daemon whip could be pretty awesome.  Will definitely use the rules from Black Crusade for making one.  

Until then, I think going for Shock is a great idea.  Isn't there also an "overcharged" Shock as well.  I swear I remember reading about a more powerful, but Unstable, Shock upgrade.  I'll have to check my books....

Well, one of the best weapons in the tabletop is a whip. Or at least it can come in whip form. The Dark Eldar Agonizer. I'm too lazy to climb up and see if it is statted in RT and if they come close to that but it's a weapon that can kill pretty much everything that doesn't have a forcefield, supernatural protection or is a vehicle. Of course that's xenos tech, but still far better than dealing with daemons.gran_risa.gif

It's statted out in Into the Storm.  Oddly enough, although the little fluff piece written about it mentions it being used as a whip, it doesn't actually have the whip profile (3m range or flexible).  I wonder if I can get my GM to hand-waive that.

And the thought suddenly occurs, that for a non-Power version of the weapon with better anti-armour qualities you could always dip back to Dark Heresy and swipe the Lathe upgrade from the Inquisitor's Handbook. It doesn't stack with Mono, but has a better damage and penetration.

It's also compatible with Tox and Shock, and would make a hellaciously powerful Holy or Daemonic weapon if it came to it...

eBarbarossa said:

I dimly remember about a Neural Whip somewhere. Could be in a Dark Heresy expansion.

The Neural Whip and Electro-Flail are from Black Crusade, page 167.

^ put blades from the lathes on the end, kinda cat-o-nines style.  or for a really messed up thing make it based around the aether weapons from the stryxis...or for a completly out there one mabey have a tyranid lash whip somehow( keep that one away from the inquisition hehehe)