Sign in to follow this  
FFG DanielC

The Enemy Within >>> Announcing an exciting new campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay!

Janks said:

I'm especially happy that the new TEW will be "inspired" by the old version.

Because I have some friends that have started TEW but never completed it, other friends that never have played it at all.

Now, they most likely can play the new version together, not having to worry about some knowing stuff from the old campaign.

This is exactly my situation too, so I'm keen to get playing the new version!

I love the announcment, I can't wait for this campain but ...

I wonder when will we see this?

Has anyone seen that this title in upcomming section is in development? And it has no release date.

So we don't know when it will be avaliable.

More we don't know what will come after it.

Anyone got some anwsers for it?

Cheers

PS. I think that the upcoming section is a big mess. There's a lot titles that are not updated correctly. More of that there are titles that are already in stores but in upcomming those are still on the boat. So I think that someone at FFG should correct that and that the upcomming section should be updated more often. What do You think?

WFRPGraeme said:

I get interviewed about my history writing for games, and on Fantasy Flight's new Enemy Within campaign.
http://www.d20radio.com/sbv/

Great interview! Nice to hear descriptions of the life of a freelancer writer. Interesting that freelancer, publisher/self publisher cycle, freelancer again cycle that many writers turn through.

I would of liked oldschool to have asked you more about the doomstone series particularly the one Robin Laws worked on.

Given the disjointed collaborative projects that a lot of wfrp campaigns are, I'm glad you and Allan got to get closure on this new one ;D 

WFRPGraeme said:

I get interviewed about my history writing for games, and on Fantasy Flight's new Enemy Within campaign.
http://www.d20radio.com/sbv/

Excellent stuff sir! I'm very much looking forward to cracking this campaign open. I especially loved your descriptions regarding the mechanics involved; such as the ability for the GM to choose who the secret final villain will be (from a list of possible suspects) at any point within the story. This sounds like not just a way to keep the PCs on their toes (like in the example given in the interview, in which the PCs might happen to guess the big baddie early on, allowing the GM to change the big bad's identity), but this also seems like it will allow the GM to tailor the secrets big baddie to his player's back stories adhead of time. At least that's my take.

Again, awesome stuff!

Sorry to do my killjoy,but as a veteran of the very first edition of Warhammer RPG,I can tell,you will do no better than the first "Enemy Within" nor "The Stones of Destiny". Theese campaigns were the Top-of-the-Top! So STOP with theese adventures addon,it doesn't make any senses… What I believe we need now are more extensions books to play:

-High-Elven with High-Magic and more rules about SwordMaster of Hoeth,White Lion Guard and the like.

-Sylvian Elven with more rules about WarDancers,Spellweavers,Eternal Guard…

-Dwarfs with more rules about engineering,Runes,Runesmithing,Runelords,Hammerers,Longbeards…

-New countries like Kislev with IceMagic,Bretonnia with their knights,Norsca with their raiders and rules about ships.

And If you really want to make a trully epic (even Goddic!) campaign,create the one with the Goddess of Order: "Arianka". You know the one imprisoned by Tzeentch into a Krystal Coffin. The subject has only been touched in first edition of Warhammer. That would be a real Challenge!

Folioman said:

Sorry to do my killjoy,but as a veteran of the very first edition of Warhammer RPG,I can tell,you will do no better than the first "Enemy Within" nor "The Stones of Destiny". Theese campaigns were the Top-of-the-Top! So STOP with theese adventures addon,it doesn't make any senses… What I believe we need now are more extensions books to play:

-High-Elven with High-Magic and more rules about SwordMaster of Hoeth,White Lion Guard and the like.

-Sylvian Elven with more rules about WarDancers,Spellweavers,Eternal Guard…

fan made material by Yepesnopes on the high elves in great detail is to be found on this forum

Folioman said:

-New countries like Kislev with IceMagic,Bretonnia with their knights,Norsca with their raiders and rules about ships.

hero's call.

i'm torn whether to buy it or not, since i normally write my own campaigns…guess i'll wait for some session reports once it comes out

I am rather excited by this.  I've been a bit underwhelmed with the direction 3rd edition took - mainly because the mechanics don't suit my default method of roleplaying which is play-by-post forum, not tabletop.  But hearing Graeme is involved has stoked the old furnace!

I ran a play-by-post of most of The Enemy Within campaign that lasted over a year with thousands of posts.  It was an incredible, hilarious, tragic, emotional experience!  It got my wife into WFRP and is easily the best roleplaying experience of my life.

One scene I'll always remember is the apocalyptic destruction of Bogenhafen by a gigantic daemon and the party's escape from the carnage!  Some players had dropped out, but I didn't tell anyone, just taking over their characters and imitating their style.  The players were horrified as old friends were brutally killed off by the whims of fate.  All that was left of Bogenhafen was a crater.  One character eventually descended into madness, believing that all hair - facial hair and body hair included - was the mark of chaos and he tried to shave the rest of the party while they slept!  Brings a tear to me eye just reminiscing!

Some interesting things in the original article:

"GMs, particularly, will find The Enemy Within loaded with all the resources they need to manage a series of adventures of this scope and scale. You’ll find cards, sheets, maps, handouts and other materials to help GMs create a truly immersive experience for their players."

Now maybe I'm reading too much into this, but notice that they list sheets, maps, and handouts separately, as if they are three physically different types of accessories. Could it be that Fantasy Flight is finally going to give us some full sized foldout maps and full page handouts? I sure hope so. Something big that could sit on the table under everything else for easy tracking of where the party is and where they want to go would be fantastic!

Also, this:

"The Enemy Within introduces a tremendous number of tools to place at the GM’s disposal, including new villains, NPCs, monsters, and encounters. GMs will find it easy to develop any content they need to include, and they’ll find ways to use character backgrounds to tie each character to the story and draw attention to important plot events as they occur."

This makes me think of things like random charts for encounters and the like. It also sounds as if they're including material for the GM to use outside of the campaign proper, which would be in keeping with the trend set by all the previous releases. Most expansions have included additional material that can be used outside of the expansion itself: Edge of Night included info on the Skaven, and Ubersreik (content which I've used extensively, but still haven't actually used the provided adventure), The Witches Song included rules concerning Witches and Warlocks…etc. The only exception I can thing of would be The Gathering Storm, which if anything, just served as a template for designing your own adventures….and not a very good template IMHO.

Can't wait for more previews!

alskiyevski said:

I'm pretty excited over this. We're currently playing TEW with 3rd ed. rules. Can't wait to see what the author's come up with this time!

Our group just finished TEW with 3rd ed rules and it took us almost two years to complete. So I wish you good luck with trying to finish the whole campaign, for us at least it was well worth the effort.

I really do hope that with the new TEW they provide more supplement material compared to other 3rd edition adventures. I really enjoy the amount of detail put into the original TEW books (and all the other 1st and 2nd edition books for that matter).

We've been playing for a couple of months now and are currently half way-ish through Death on the Reik. It's great fun.

I agree. Lot's of handouts and bigger and better maps would be expected. I think it's a big part of what makes the original TEW such a cool campaign. Also, my group plays a fair bit of Call of Cthulhu and enjoys investigative scenarios with handous. It really helps making the world come alive. I haven't checked out Edge of Night or The Witch's Song yet, but I know that FFG do supply maps and stuff, I just hope they turn it up to 11 on this one and give us a huge map of Averland or The Empire and so on.

alskiyevski said:

We've been playing for a couple of months now and are currently half way-ish through Death on the Reik. It's great fun.

I agree. Lot's of handouts and bigger and better maps would be expected. I think it's a big part of what makes the original TEW such a cool campaign. Also, my group plays a fair bit of Call of Cthulhu and enjoys investigative scenarios with handous. It really helps making the world come alive. I haven't checked out Edge of Night or The Witch's Song yet, but I know that FFG do supply maps and stuff, I just hope they turn it up to 11 on this one and give us a huge map of Averland or The Empire and so on.

I'm actually seriously craving a big foldout chipboard map of the Empire (ala the Descent 1st Edition campaign expansions) or Reikland/Averland…but would settle for a foldout paper map with tEW. Perhaps with a set of standees representing various "party cards" to let the players track their movement through the region. Maybe even facilitating a bit of sandbox style play.

When will we see any news about this game? It's still in development and was announced on 1st March 2012. What's happening with it? It should be in stores in 3Q 2012 or Summer 2012 and we still haven't heared a word from FFG about this title. Anyone got some news or any more concrete release dates?

to those playing TEW currently with 3rd edition rules, how do you go about converting the old adventures/stats/rules to the current set?

I'm curious to see how everyone does it. I have the entire first edition catalog and would love to play it with 3rd edition rules.

thanks

scifiguy said:

to those playing TEW currently with 3rd edition rules, how do you go about converting the old adventures/stats/rules to the current set?

I'm curious to see how everyone does it. I have the entire first edition catalog and would love to play it with 3rd edition rules.

thanks

For our group's campaign, I found the conversion quite easy. I tried to use as much 3rd ed. rules as possible, only focusing on bringing the storyline of TEW to the game.

I didn't care about the exact stats of creatures, I just tried to find a close enough representative creature card of the 3rd edition. This seemed to work pretty well with almost all of the creatures and NPCs. In case of any special rules or abilities, they're fairly easy to improvise.

Only a couple of times in the campaign the encounters revealed to be way too easy, but that didn't bother us too much. I don't ever recall the encounters being too difficult or impossible to overcome.

For converting the money system, I think I just used 1 GC in 2nd ed. = 1 silver in 3rd ed.

For the Money conversions I made an excel sheet way back. I compared the standard weapons and daily incomes. All in all it comes roughly around a change rate of 1/33.

So 100 Silver in 1e/2e seems to be   --> 3 Silver in 3e.

Or 1 Gold 1e --> 3 Silver 3e