Sign in to follow this  
Krylancelo

Combat, the most strenuos 3 seconds of my life.

Hello All I am new to Anima and decided to be the crazy one GMing the game. I've run one campaign and will be doing another. I have been going over rules as the situation pops up with my friends. One of my friends is a martial artist so he loves to do additional attacks since he picked Kempo. Anyhow I basically have a few questions.

First off. I understand that if someone has a final ability of 200 he can choose to try and attack 3 times and reduce it down to 150 for all three(or 180 for kempo users) but what I don't know is on the defensive side. Does the defender just roll once to try to dodge/block all 3 which means that if he fails he suffers all 3 or does he make 3 separate rolls one for each hit(with corresponding penalties) against the Final attack ability of 150(180)? Also can a person counterattack in the middle of the combo if he successfully rolls a counterattack thereby stopping the combo?

Second, I have been reading Dominus Exxet and read on the additional actions ability that you cannot use the same active action twice. So what I want to know is whether that applies to addition actions in general or just this ki ability? I basically want to know because my friend tries to use additional actions to attack and enemy more than once(in combination with additional attacks due to his final attack abilty per turn which is a real pain and takes forever to finally do). I figured out the penalties for the above scenario but I want to know how it is supposed to go.

Lastly I've been a little confused on when a spell can be cast. I know active spells can only be cast during the casters turn and passive can be cast whenever. What I don't know is when a spell can be cast in relation to his MA. From what I read for active spells the caster must wait until the next round after he has accumulated enough magic but likewise passive are anytime. For example a mage is trying to cast a 60 zeon spell and has a MA of 30. Can he cast the spell on his second turn since accumulating for 2 turns gets him the 60 he needs(assuming nothing happens to his MA) or does he have to wait for his third turn to cast the spell if it is an active spell?

These things have been bugging me and I would really appreciate some clarity on these subjects.

Krylancelo said:

Hello All I am new to Anima and decided to be the crazy one GMing the game. I've run one campaign and will be doing another. I have been going over rules as the situation pops up with my friends. One of my friends is a martial artist so he loves to do additional attacks since he picked Kempo. Anyhow I basically have a few questions.

First off. I understand that if someone has a final ability of 200 he can choose to try and attack 3 times and reduce it down to 150 for all three(or 180 for kempo users) but what I don't know is on the defensive side. Does the defender just roll once to try to dodge/block all 3 which means that if he fails he suffers all 3 or does he make 3 separate rolls one for each hit(with corresponding penalties) against the Final attack ability of 150(180)? Also can a person counterattack in the middle of the combo if he successfully rolls a counterattack thereby stopping the combo?

He defenses against each attack with a separate roll. But each defense roll after the first, gets an penality (Core book, page 84, table 41).
So, the first defense would be with -0, the second with - 30 and the third with -50.

Krylancelo said:

Second, I have been reading Dominus Exxet and read on the additional actions ability that you cannot use the same active action twice. So what I want to know is whether that applies to addition actions in general or just this ki ability? I basically want to know because my friend tries to use additional actions to attack and enemy more than once(in combination with additional attacks due to his final attack abilty per turn which is a real pain and takes forever to finally do). I figured out the penalties for the above scenario but I want to know how it is supposed to go.

Yes, you can only make one action per type per round, but one attack action can have more than one attack.

Example: Bill, the little sword fighter, has an attack ability of 200 and a Ki-Technique, which gives him an additional action. He can make up to 3 attacks per round and an action, which isn't a attack, without a penalty. He could ran with maximum speed to get to his enemy, and then attack this enemy 3 times, without a penalty for multiple action. But he can't attack the enemy 3 times and then use his additional action to attack him a second time.

The advantages of the Ki-Effect "additional action" is, that the character doesn't get the -25 penalty for multiple actions (without this, Bill, the little sword fighter, could ran to his enemy with full speed and than attack him with an additional -25 penalty, because it would be his second action).

Krylancelo said:

Lastly I've been a little confused on when a spell can be cast. I know active spells can only be cast during the casters turn and passive can be cast whenever. What I don't know is when a spell can be cast in relation to his MA. From what I read for active spells the caster must wait until the next round after he has accumulated enough magic but likewise passive are anytime. For example a mage is trying to cast a 60 zeon spell and has a MA of 30. Can he cast the spell on his second turn since accumulating for 2 turns gets him the 60 he needs(assuming nothing happens to his MA) or does he have to wait for his third turn to cast the spell if it is an active spell?

These things have been bugging me and I would really appreciate some clarity on these subjects.

Second round, because in his second round, he accumulates the remaining 30 zeon. My group play it so, that the wizard has the Zeon from the beginning of the round, but if he makes some actions (which would half his MA), this would happen at the end of the turn.

For example: Max, the little wizard, will cast a spell with 90 zeon. He has a MA of 30, so he must wait 3 rounds. But in the second round, Max is attacked and must defend himself. He could cast a shield up to 60 zeon (because, this is, what he have accumulated) of defend himself normal. Max makes a normal defense and succed. Now is Max turn in the second round. He could cast a spell, up to 60 Zeon (what he have accumulated so far), but he doesn't. And the end of the second round, Max MA for this round is halved (because he has defended himself), so he has accumulated 45 Zeon (30 from the first round, and 15 from the second). He will start the third round with 75 Zeon (45 Zeon accumulated and 30 Zeon for the third round).

This ruling is similiar to the Ki-accumulation ruling from Dominus Exxect

So long,

F3nr1s

F3nr1s pretty much got it all, except yes: you can interrupt an attack chain with a counterattack. For example, in the above, if you succeed on the first defense of the three attacks  well enough that you can counter attack you do so. If the counter attack succeeds the enemies attack chain is broken and they cannot continue with their next two attacks.

Ah thanks for the clarity. Maybe now the battles can go a touch quicker. One thing though. In the example of the little wizard wouldn't his accumulated magic drop to 0 if after using the shield since the shield costs 60 and he had accumulated 60 or was the shield previously cast before hand so all he had to do was roll defense? Also I am having a hard time figuring out proper uses and difficulties for the secondary abilities Athleticism and Feats of Strength.Any ideas?

Krylancelo said:

Ah thanks for the clarity. Maybe now the battles can go a touch quicker. One thing though. In the example of the little wizard wouldn't his accumulated magic drop to 0 if after using the shield since the shield costs 60 and he had accumulated 60 or was the shield previously cast before hand so all he had to do was roll defense? Also I am having a hard time figuring out proper uses and difficulties for the secondary abilities Athleticism and Feats of Strength.Any ideas?

The Accumulated Zeon of the wizard drops to 0 when he casts the spell, and he casts the spell as a Passive Action just before defending against the attack. He could also have cast it at the beginning of the round, just after initiative, had he wanted. But because it is a Passive Action is can be cast as a reflex, just as a dodge could.

There is a small chart at the beginning of the section, but really its mostly winging it for Athleticism. I believe there was something about how much you decrease a fall by, but besides that I do not know of any charts (core exxet does have a few more, but I do not use them. They can be found here

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=85&efcid=3&efidt=404842#621964

).  Feats of Strength is even more annoying because not only does it not have any charts the ability itself is not well described and the people on the boards do not agree on what it does.