Sign in to follow this  
Brolthemighty

Navigator's Lidless Stare magnitude damage

Pretty straight forward question really.  Has it been officially established, or what's a good guideline, for what a Nav's Lidless Stare would do in magnitude damage?  My group has the possibility of coming up against some Hordes, and the question came up of my max'd out Stare.  I contended that It should do a decent amount (as in more than a heavy flamer) due to an increased coverage area (in comparison to said H. flamer) as well as higher damage, and outright killing potential.  So I come to you for help and clarification.

Maybe you can allow the Navigator to apply damage a number of times equal to his unmodified Willpower Bonus.

Example:

Navigator Bob has the Adept rank in Lidless Stare and Willpower Bonus 4. He deals 2d10+4 four times against an Horde if he succeeds the opposed WP test.

Someone posted this quote on a forum, although I don't know which page is in it (I'm almost sure it's on the DW core):

"Psychic Powers used against a Horde will hit it a number of
times equal to the Psy Rating used in the power, no matter
what the power may be. If the psychic power affects an area,
it adds an additional 1d10 hits.
At the GM’s discretion, if
a particular psychic power does not inflict damage (such
as Compel), it still inflicts “hits,” meaning that portions of
the Horde have been convinced not to attack, and so forth.
Furthermore, the GM should take care to adjudicate the
effects of certain psychic powers (such as Vortex of Doom)
in specific situations against Hordes (such as a Horde tightly
packed into a small space)."

Since Navigators don't have a Psy Rating (unfortunately we don't have Horde rules for RT) you can use houserule that Novice level equals Psy 2, Adept level equals Psy 4 and Master level equals Psy 6; or you can just use the Navigator's WP Bonus instead. That way Lidless Stare deals eighter 1d10 +[Mastery] total hits or 1d10 + [WP Bonus] total hits.

Oh, by the way, attacks not from Hordes only inflict 1 Magnitude loss per hit, which means you don't roll Lidless Stare damage, just remove one Magnitude per hit done...unless you have a Horde of Navigators (MUAHAHAHA!).

You're right in that it's 1 magnitude per hit for most weapons.  However, as evidenced by multiple different rules....some weapons inflict a different number of hits or damage.  Psychic Powers, flamers, weapons with blast quality....all inflict additional hits.  I like the idea of basing it off of the psychic power rules (since that's what Navigator powers are) and then counting their Psy Rating based on what level they have in Mastery.  I'll definitely be pointing my GM in the direction of this thread.

Has anyone actually had experience with something like this before?

Yes, I used the horde rules for an encounter in Lure of the Expanse that I knew my PCs would walk all over. I think I let the Navigator roll a d10 for extra hits, but he only got to do it once as I sent him into criticals with a good heavy stubber FA.