Sign in to follow this  
prabe

Possible erratum on Leo Anderson ...?

So, I used to spend a lot of time here, then I didn't for lots of reasons, but this has always been a good place to get answers if something strange ahs come up.

Some friends and I were playing a game with the Dunwich Horror expansion, with one of us playing via Skype with a second copy of the game. The copy at my place says Leo Anderson may use his special ability once per turn; the copy of the game on the other end of the video conference apparently says he can only use it once per game. Was there a change I need to note in my copy, or is there some erratum in a subsequent printing of the expansion?

Thanks.

Hoo boy, I've heard of this problem before.

My guess is that when Dunwich went to reprint, FFG accidentally sent the files of an earlier version that wasn't as up-to-date as the original print. Or, they modified those files, forgetting about a more correct version. It happens.

Anyway, Leo's ability is supposed to be once per turn, and Jacqueline's occupation is "Psychic."

aenima said:

the italian version sayd "once per game" ...so?

Nice to hear the italian version is based on the reprint. Argh.

I have only two games in my mother tongue (Fury of Dracula and Arkham Horror - core set) and I'll never ever ever ever buy another game in italian again. Especially the work done with Fury of Dracula is completely crappy.

But anyway, Aenima, as Tibs said, it's once per turn. Otherwise it'd be the most useless special ability ever (even worse than George's)

Well, there is a russian version of Arkham Horror, but it's so horrible - I didn't even considered buying it.

The Stamina there is translated as Body, and Sanity there is translated as Mind. It sounds very rough on russian for me, person who knows the original.

And russian version is filled with those mistranlates/mistakes/etc. 

Hey, we've always had a lot of fun with the "Phycic", but Leo Anderson is once per TURN? Is that listed anywhere on FFG's site?

If so, it makes him an interesting choice. Everyone always stays away from him in our games.

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

The Stamina there is translated as Body, and Sanity there is translated as Mind. It sounds very rough on russian for me, person who knows the original.

And russian version is filled with those mistranlates/mistakes/etc. 

French version is using "once per game" too. And regarding strange translation, I guess French one is beating Russian one: Fight and Combat are both translated with the same word: Combat... Which introduce lot of confusions (I'm using my dynamite to close this portal... Why can't I?)

Oh man, that's the worst; people get confused about that even in the English, but a lot of times it's not at all clear from context which kind of check it's talking about; I'm thinking of Ithaqua, Professor Morgan, the sledgehammer, and basically any encounter that calls for a combat check.

I'm aware of that French faux pas (if you'll pardon my... French). Rest assured that combat checks are almost certainly done against monsters and attacking AOs, and Fight checks are done in encounters (and defending against Ithaqua's attack). There are a few encounters in existence that call for a combat check but those can easily be looked up on the wiki.

onverra said:

Your French is perfectgui%C3%B1o.gif. Actually I'm quite aware of the problem as I tried to collect all Erratas from the French version, to correct them with to Strange Eons. If you want to have a sense of how big is the problem, you can have a look on the French Wiki: http://wiki.horreuraarkham.fr/index.php?title=Erratas_%2B_Fichiers_Eons

Man, what a bloody mess they did... I can't believe they've never done something to fix this

Julia said:

Man, what a bloody mess they did... I can't believe they've never done something to fix this

TBH: They started to fix it with Miskatonic, and last November reprint of the base game fixed the problem. But Revised Edition of Dark Pharao, released this month is not...

onverra said:

TBH: They started to fix it with Miskatonic, and last November reprint of the base game fixed the problem. But Revised Edition of Dark Pharao, released this month is not...

Are replacement cards granted for those who bought the game throughout the eons and have defective cards? As for the Revised DP... ::rofling:: can't believe it

I beg your pardon if this can sound a little rude, but... I don't see a good reason to keep on buying defective products. As a customer, I pretend to be respected. So, let's say I buy AH and find some badly translated cards (and I'm talking about errors able to change the meaning of a card). I start complaining. If I'm ignored, I stop buying a certain line of products. And I keep on doing this, and I ask my friends to do the same, to deliver a direct message to the company: if you want to sell your stuff, you have to improve. A lot.

Still, I know sometimes language can be a major issue, but technically Arkham isn't that impossible to understand even for not-native speakers. Sure, during the first games, everyone should put more effort in the game in order to understand the cards, but afterwards a) you improve your knowledge of another language and b) you avoid having horribly translated cards. And, in my personal experience, I have seen a couple of guys totally unable to speak English (they both studied German at school) but certainly able to understand most of the cards of AH. And with the passing of time, they improved a lot.

Julia said:

Are replacement cards granted for those who bought the game throughout the eons and have defective cards?

No, they don't even provide pdf with corrections. This is why I did these eon files (based on great works done by other French players).

Julia said:

I beg your pardon if this can sound a little rude, but... I don't see a good reason to keep on buying defective products.

You are not rude at all. Actually, most of the game I have are in English (not living in France anymore helps :)). I bought the base game in French, and it is true that I kept buying French expansions, not sure why, maybe because I did not want to buy again the base game in English and I did not expect it will have so much expansions. But, aside AH, then I bought all FFG games in English.

onverra said:

You are not rude at all. Actually, most of the game I have are in English (not living in France anymore helps :)). I bought the base game in French, and it is true that I kept buying French expansions, not sure why, maybe because I did not want to buy again the base game in English and I did not expect it will have so much expansions. But, aside AH, then I bought all FFG games in English.

You did well in creating all the correct eons for those files, and offered a great service to your gaming community. I guess if you glue the correct version over the wrong one and you sleeve the cards, then the difference should be minimal.

Thank you for answering my second point. It's an issue that is very important for me. I live in a country where games have been translated by complete jerks. Most of the rules were confusing, the customer service is very bad, and in general you feel no respect for the customers. I had a couple of games in my native tongue, but after getting Fury of Dracula and noticing the way it was raped (just to give you an example, Dracula plays with a location deck in which all locations are sorted in alphabetical order. In English, Hambur is filed under H. In Italian, the city is called Amburgo, and it should be filed under A. It's still under H. And clearly, it's not the only location suffering for this. Not to mention some other major problems. And, in general, the translations are horrible, made by people who don't know *anything* about the setting. They translated the title of Miskatonic Horror as "L'orrore DI MIskatonic", without knowing Miskatonic is not a city or a person, but a University, or a River, so an article should be required), I decided to start buying games only in English.

I buy almost all of my games in English.
I like it better for some reason, even the ones originally in German.
But to be honest there are not many good games translated into Swedish.
Besides the very few that are, I usually already own.

Good to know about Leo, I bought the normal american english version last month and mine too said " once per game" I was wondering what was the use of creating such a useless character.

Thank you guys for the clarification!