Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Doughman

Are the Uthuk overpowered?

Recommended Posts

Every time I play as the Uthuk, I have won so far.  I buy flesh rippers and berserkers, then, in my time of need, I make the flesh rippers wound the berserkers and draw more until my enemy is defeated.

Am I doing something wrong, or are they just really overpowered?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, because I play Rune Age with a couple of people, and we have played 8 times. 7 of those times my friend who has played the Uthuk has won. Resurgence of the Dragon Lord seems to tip in the Uthuk's favor as well, because they can wound their berserker with their flesh ripper, and have 5 attack points with 2 cards which have the total value of 3 coins. However, I suppose once you really get the hang of one race it might not seem like the Uthuk are overpowered. It may also depends on who is playing which race, but of course I have only played like 8 times so I am still a beginner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any ideas for houserules that I could use that would mitigate the obviously advantaged Uthuk? I'm wondering if there's a way to start the other factions with a slight head start over the Uthuk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must disagree. I on the other hand belive that undeads are overpowered. They can win most scenarios easily then other races (skeletons+Death Knight) not to mention that they are the race that can win cities easiest and fastest (in fisrt turn 1 skeleton=1 strognhold couse of the when played ability). Early game uthuk cant cope with undeads, mid game they are even (some advantage goes to uthuks, but still slight (archers kill rippers effectivly giving you a +4)), and late game goes to the complete domination of the undead.
NOTE: This is just a comparison between factions, ofc it varies from scenario to scenario, and from player to player, but generally speaking this is the way of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the new expansion tries to correct these obvious inbalances in power. From my own experience, the Uthuk and the Undead are victorious over the humans and elves 4 out of 5 times. Hopefully we'll see some previews soon that show the new units. I'll be very disappointed if the elves don't get a big boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BigBadBroloski said:

I must disagree. I on the other hand belive that undeads are overpowered. They can win most scenarios easily then other races (skeletons+Death Knight) not to mention that they are the race that can win cities easiest and fastest (in fisrt turn 1 skeleton=1 strognhold couse of the when played ability). Early game uthuk cant cope with undeads, mid game they are even (some advantage goes to uthuks, but still slight (archers kill rippers effectivly giving you a +4)), and late game goes to the complete domination of the undead.
NOTE: This is just a comparison between factions, ofc it varies from scenario to scenario, and from player to player, but generally speaking this is the way of things.

I don't think destroying a Flesh Ripper can be considered +4 because the Berserker is already wounded, so killing the Flesh Ripper only removes 2 attack from the opponent.

I'm in the camp favoring the Daqan Lords, especilly in pvp. Their Bowmen can start culling the deck early on, giving them a tighter deck and more effective card synergy. In all my games, I just haven't seen the Uthuk Y'llan rise to prominence. The Uthuk and Latari usually get hammered by Daqan and Waiqar early on and never recover. Disclaimer: these are only games where I control all four factions. I'd love to see how it's different with real opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the Uthuk sure seem horribly overpowered to me.  I'm no deck-building genius, but I've played the Rune Wars scenario maybe 15 times, with 2, 3, and 4 players.  The person playing the Uthuk has won literally every time.  We played a 3 player game yesterday, and a guy who was totally new to hobby games in general, and had never even heard of deck-building before, played the Uthuk against two opponents who were fairly experienced gamers.  He still won.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Okay, now I really wish there were an online version of Rune Wars so I could play against real opponents because it's obvious that my solo Runewars scenario isn't doing justice to this game. The Uthuk have never even come close to winning that scenario. They usually get shut down pretty quickly by the Daqan Lords and Waiqar's undead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every faction has people who think that one is overpowered.  I now like playing with the Elves, as the influence tricks and the easy destroys work very well.

 

I think these asymmetrical factions mean that some people's play styles are going to make one or the other seem overpowered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Niallism said:

Every faction has people who think that one is overpowered.  I now like playing with the Elves, as the influence tricks and the easy destroys work very well.

 

I think these asymmetrical factions mean that some people's play styles are going to make one or the other seem overpowered.

 

I became a fan of the Elves after getting comfortable with the game and playing the various scenarios several times. At first they seemed like the weakest race, but once I understood their focus is on influence tricks they started to shine for me. I don't have a lot of problem beating the Uthuk after a few turns just by out spending them for neutral units and tactics cards. The faction ability to untap influence must be used in a very calculated manner to get the most out of your elves. 

Although it seems like The Cataclysm really hits the elves hard. I've had the hardest time beating it solo with the Elves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to win with the elves is not very difficult. They have the influence superority and the combo archer - darnari warrior (archer turns the fortresses up and danari elminates enemy unit a few seconds later.) Addtional they can reach for cities and powerful monsters much sooner than other races.

 

The newbie friendly Uthuk with their strong military are the second powerful in the game IMO. Then the undead with their slow buildup and the least powerful are the humans. (in fact I never saw a daquan win)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

superklaus said:

to win with the elves is not very difficult. They have the influence superority and the combo archer - darnari warrior (archer turns the fortresses up and danari elminates enemy unit a few seconds later.) Addtional they can reach for cities and powerful monsters much sooner than other races.

Yes, but there are a few problems with the Elves. The first is that they need to buy their 5-gold unit to get card draw. Otherwise, they have trouble getting enough units in one turn.

Second, if you play a Darnati Warrior first, he's vulnerable to getting taken out, so it's often better to sacrifice a Deepwood Archer first. Also, you can't use the Darnati Warrior ability first if you're starting the siege.

Third, they can get some neutral cards sooner with the Storm Sorceress, but they struggle to get enough attack to take the cities before the other races.

And fourth, even if they get cities, you can cripple them by laying siege to their city and stealing it from them. The only times I see the Latari Elves win is when they are left alone for the first half of the game and can build up an army. I find that Waiqar and the Uthuk Y'llan are much more capable at taking cities early on.

These are all just my opinions based on my experiences and are not "fact", so feel free to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×