Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ixionyx

Cool Names For Chaos Vessels

81 posts in this topic

My players successfully claimed the vessel "Chains of Judgement" at the end of the Broken Chains adventure.  It will take a while to restore fully, but they intend to keep it and use it as their mobile base of operation rather than choosing a world or the like.  I'm cool with this, but it needs renaming.

So, I'm looking for suggestions...  What have you named your vessels in Black Crusade?  What cool chaos heretic names have you come up with?

innocence's lament, illusion of pain, and "blood for the blood god"<- that last one was had a tzench commander,

all i could come up with, hope that helped

SomVone said:

I always like the Fortress of Agony

In a similar vein, Temple of Annihilation is one of my 'generic chaos' favourites.

Beyond that, I personally try to look more to specific themes - the vessels of a Tzeentchian Sorcerer-King are going to be differently named to those of a Khornate Reaver or a Nurglish Plaguesmith, afterall.

Thanks folks, these a some good suggestions so far.

My players' heretic haven't picked chaos dedications yet, the campaign was on pause because two of the players had their first baby (aw!) but we're looking to start it up again soon and I wanted to pitch a few cool names for the vessel in case they didn't have anything for it.  The I think it is going to be split-loyalties anyway, with all but Tzeentch being represented, though this may change.

My best idea so far was to call the falling apart, Nurgle-infested floating rust-bucket "The Beautiful".

Innocence Lost, Wraith of Darkness, Malefic Might, The Corruptor, The Magus, Carrier of Blasphemy, Freedom of Thought, Harbringer of Sorrow, Fortress of Regret, Deliverance of Soul. 

Damnation's March,  Voidstalker, Trail of Vengence, Saint's Lament, Red Scourge, Stygian, Temple of Blasphemy, The Killing Joke, Heretic's Gauntlet, Bastion of Sin, Hellhouse, Beast of Blood, Ravening Tide, Sirensong,  Hungering Maw...

In our campaign, the fleet of the Shadow Council has included:

The Chains of Judgement, the raider from an introductory adventure we rapidly sold off. My apostate suggested renaming it 'The Liberation' which was seen as a twisted jest by other Council members (the original inhabitants we had sold first).

The Shadowclaw, a sword-class frigate and until its recent mauling the flagship of the Council. The next session will decide its fate but I suspect it will be left behind in our newly conquered system for repairs.

The Hand of Jericho, a lunar-class cruiser retrieved from the warp and purely fitted for gunnery. Centuries ago it was in the posession of the Rogue Trader dynasty of...Haarlock.

The Diamond Blade, a sword-class frigate and flying pleasure palace. A Slaaneshi vessel heavily under the thumb of my apostate - until its recent hulking in a space battle. Its gilded hull proved problematic when fired upon by several system defense monitors.

Nurgle's Sleigh, a defiant-class light cruiser dedicated to Papa Nurgle under the guidance of Nicholas Santos.

The Angel of Woe, a sword-class frigate (I believe) ruled by a Fallen Dark Angel.

The Skull of Drusus, a generic transport solely equipped to carry two barracks worth of troops and deploy them to planetary surfaces.

The Ragged Edge and The Darkened Eye, a pair of wolfpack raiders sworn to the Council's cause.

The two BC Con games I ran had wildly different ideas for renaming the Chains of Judgement...

One group renamed it The Chains of Change...And the other named it The Bloody Discharge!

As sick as I am, that second one is my favorite!

L-

Another approach might be to go for more evil sounding, abstract names. One imagines that many Chaos vessels are crewed by individuals from a fairly unique chaos-influenced society with its own culture and language. As such, they might steer clear of the "X of X" format often employed in naming Chaos vessels and use symbolic words from an unknown language.

So things like:

• Chossollax
  • Heptexia
  • Vandrict
  • K'raact
  • Sesskrecht

...and so on. Just pick something that sounds like Darth Vader clearing his throat, and you're away! happy.gif

One thing worth considering might well be the ship's history - many Chaos vessels are Imperial ones that've turned traitor, and they may still have their old names (or may still be recognisable as the vessels they once were, even if they've been subsequently renamed - in essence, giving the ship two names, an old Imperial one, and a new Chaos one).

I don't have the adventure immediately to hand, but I believe it is an Iconoclast class ship, originally Imperial but used in a rebellion that was reclaimed and given to the Inquisition since it was too small to make an effective warship.  The Inquisition named it the Chains of Judgement and it served as a prison barge for tens of thousands.  Then it gets lost in the warp for two centuries...

Talon of Anathrax likes this

A good technique for ship names is to either use mythical terms or a bastardised version of latin. 

For example, the two ships in my BC campaigns are the Iron Warriors strike cruiser Stygian and the Word Bearers ship Atradeus Vocem (roughly 'Voice of the Dark Gods').

Drhoz said:

Axe of Betrayal - inspired by the Axe of Redemption invented by one of my RT players XD

Reading your's, I'm inspired to think Golden Axe wouldn't be bad for a Black Legion ship (well, a number of themes actually, but they can be ostentatious at times).

And if you favour a more refined or dramatic minded Night Lord warlord, Architect of Terror isn't a bad name either.

I nick names off of novels from my shelf when I have to name a ship in haste. This has resulted, so far, in the following ships, Imperial or otherwise:

The Wasp Factory (fleet support base)
Excession (reaver ship)
The Algebraist (raider commandeered by a heretek cult)
Look to Windward (cargo hauler)

A system defense boat flotilla consisting of:

Coalescent
Exultant
Transcendent
Resplendent
Incandescent

It's easy to pick names for random encouters on the top of one's using this method:

The Human Stain!
The Grapes of Wrath!

And so on.

Of course a ship's name should carry a certain significance, be they "ship names to run away from" or otherwise; I'm particularily fond of Saynay Clan assault ship "The Hungry Man" from which, incidentally, the players did run away from.

Talon of Anathrax likes this

Scott_0606 said:

A good technique for ship names is to either use mythical terms or a bastardised version of latin. 

For example, the two ships in my BC campaigns are the Iron Warriors strike cruiser Stygian and the Word Bearers ship Atradeus Vocem (roughly 'Voice of the Dark Gods').

I resemble that remark.  One of my stories features a particularly nasty Hades class cruiser named the Excruciatus Rex (loosely 'King of Pain').  For some reason, I kept hearing Sting's voice in my head when I was working on that chapter…

Cheers,

- V.