Sign in to follow this  
lightofhand

when is only war coming out?

when is only war coming out? i was hoping to hear some new by now when it was coming out, or of some other dark hesery book. As there was for 2 deathwatch books coming out in the next 6 mouths. anyone have any ideas? and if there was a different book to come out what book would you really like to see for dark heresy?

Barnes & Noble and Amazon have posted their release date as July 10. I've usually seen these release the books about a month late, but either way, don't get your hopes up. In my experience, FFG might begin talking about it in the coming weeks, but even then, that doesn't mean it will be released for a while. They announced Daemonhunter last year in March, but it wasn't released until June. 

That being said, they might be improving on it. Book of Judgment was announced in August and released in October. I predict that it may be a while, but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, we won't see it for a while.

When a book is announced, that means it was sent to the printer. It takes a few months for the book to be printed, then another 4-6 weeks waiting while it's "on the boat" (shipped to the US), then another 7-10 days for the book to be sent out to LFGSs, etc. It's pretty much a 2-4-month waiting period after the book is announced... and this one wasn't yet.

I hope for an AdMech book instead of this anyway, so who knows, maybe I get lucky. :D

H.M.B.C -  lol yeah i know, but i am a source book fan and this was due out by now. i thought there had been a down tunr in the News activity from what we are used to and was just wondering if they are putting their efforts into the newer 40K lines. i would not blame them but i feel DH is the core of the core rules and it has more scope that the rest. just really want to see the source books roll.

Guardsmen really do need their own source book as it. The Imperial Guard is huge and has so much to draw from, different regiments, various troop types, and I'm sure everyone wants to see a Commissar. Modules are fun, but honestly I prefer playing player written campaigns as it is. 

DH is out too long to see as much support as the newer lines, which are still releasing their core supplements while DH is stuck releasing adventures and niche modules like Only War. It'll almost assuredly come out, but it'll be a while yet.

macd21 said:

DH is out too long to see as much support as the newer lines, which are still releasing their core supplements while DH is stuck releasing adventures and niche modules like Only War. It'll almost assuredly come out, but it'll be a while yet.

I wouldn't call Only War a "niche module".

Not to mention the fact that a lot of people that plays the newer lines really, really like the information and angles from other supplements.

Fgdsfg said:

macd21 said:

I wouldn't call Only War a "niche module".

Not to mention the fact that a lot of people that plays the newer lines really, really like the information and angles from other supplements.

-

Yep, it's a niche module. It deals with a niche aspect of the game, nowhere near as integral to DH as say Creatures Anathema, the IH, DotDG etc. If it wasn't a niche module then it would have been released years ago.

And yes, certainly plenty of people buy material from more than one line - myself included. That's why we're still getting DH supplements, instead of the game being shut down - the new lines maintain interest in the 40k games as a whole, so DH supplements are still profitable enough for FFG to publish them. But there isn't enough interest to support more DH supplements than we get at the moment.

macd21 said:

But there isn't enough interest to support more DH supplements than we get at the moment.

Really? I'm not sure that's correct. I can only speak for myself, but hell, I'll buy whatever they produce for DH!

Lightbringer said:

macd21 said:

But there isn't enough interest to support more DH supplements than we get at the moment.

Really? I'm not sure that's correct. I can only speak for myself, but hell, I'll buy whatever they produce for DH!

And it's customers like you that allow FFG to continue to publish DH supplements. It's actually pretty amazing that the game is still getting books, few RPGs these days still get so many at this stage in their lifecycle. I think it's proof that the game-a-year release strategy has really worked for FFG, with the later games keeping sales of the earlier ones going.

Either that or their licence with GW forces them to release a minimum for each game every year...

I find the suggestion that interest in DH would be fading most amusing.

I can only speak for myself but out of the 4 lines, I find DH the most interesting. RT is cool enough to merit second place, but I couldn't care less for either DW or BC. The latter two might be good to mine for ideas but the premise of either of them isn't particularly exciting. 

I agree with the above- I didn't realize that people's view on the future of Calaxis & Dark Heresy was so bleak (Which is very funny, if you think about it.) 

I am still buying all of the source books, and I even bought Death Watch's Mark of the Xenos to help with my DH games... 

In all honesty, the game isn't THAT old that FFG would stop supporting it. If that were to happen, it would kinda piss me off... It doesn't seem as they are near close to covering all of the material that could be covered. Missing an Ordo Xenos book, for example, that's for sure. The Mechanicus Book too, would be a good idea (Maybe with more Evil Tech that's not corrupt by Chaos. just you know, maybe evil maybe not) and best and most important of all- Books for the Planets, fleshing them out. There's TONS of them. A lot of the current books expand on a few extensively, very interesting- and I find that its easier to build a Scenario if you have planets then to build plants if you get a scenario that says "You go here and then they give you a page describing only stuff that's relevant to the scenario."

Then again I am relatively knew to Gming, even though we bought the books quite a bit ago, we just starting playing a few months back.  

Saldre said:

In all honesty, the game isn't THAT old that FFG would stop supporting it. If that were to happen, it would kinda piss me off... It doesn't seem as they are near close to covering all of the material that could be covered. Missing an Ordo Xenos book, for example, that's for sure. The Mechanicus Book too, would be a good idea (Maybe with more Evil Tech that's not corrupt by Chaos. just you know, maybe evil maybe not) and best and most important of all- Books for the Planets, fleshing them out. There's TONS of them. A lot of the current books expand on a few extensively, very interesting- and I find that its easier to build a Scenario if you have planets then to build plants if you get a scenario that says "You go here and then they give you a page describing only stuff that's relevant to the scenario."

Umm, yeah, it's that old. These days an RPG is very lucky to last as long as DH has. It's a testament to its popularity. Is there more material that DH could cover? Of course. Is that relevant? No. It doesn't matter if you have new material you can release if not enough customers are buying it. And after 5 years DH's customer base will be a fraction of what it was when it was first released. As time goes by the initial horde of customers begins to fade away - move on to other games as they finish campaigns, get bored with the game or simply decide they have more than enough supplements. Each supplement sells fewer copies than the one before it. There'll be a few new customers coming in, but not nearly enough to make up for the players who leave.

As this happens the company releases fewer and fewer new supplements per year. And eventually they either stop altogether... or release a new edition. I'm curious as to which option FFG will choose.

UKDv12 said:

Guardsmen really do need their own source book as it. The Imperial Guard is huge and has so much to draw from, different regiments, various troop types, and I'm sure everyone wants to see a Commissar. Modules are fun, but honestly I prefer playing player written campaigns as it is. 

i hope they don't stop dark heresy as i feel there is still alot more that can be done with it and yeah I was hoping for a imperial guards book to as i felt the same they so mush that can be done with it

I really find this discussion funny, because the opinions go from one extreme to the other. Sure, RPGs aren't as well off as video games. But they are not dying out, they are adapting to the circumstances, just like wargames and boardgames.

Look at White Wolf, once one of the largest publishers of RPGs, they went from standard printing to Print-on-Demand. And it worked for them, seeing as they cut costs across the board, allowing them to increase the amount of books they will publish. FFG alread has an in-house PoD system for things like expansions etc. 

Then there is Kickstarter. Crowdsourcing at it's finest. GMT Games finaces game development this way, and they do it in-house too. A great way to pay for book development, especially since freelancers are cheap in this biz (I know, I've been one). And I firmly believe that FFG will be able to find at least 1000 buyers for every career book down the line to make it happen.

As long as there is reasonable interest for DH, the line will go on.