Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
booored

When is 2012 Holidays? (we are not all Yanks you know)

18 posts in this topic

In the US, "the holidays" generally refers to the time leading up to Christmas, usually starting around Black Friday, or the day after Thanksgiving in the US, which is one of the last weeks of November (it changes from year to year).

So, "just before the 2012 holidays" would probably mean a November or December release date, possibly a little earlier.

Well, for my country this could mean March gui%C3%B1o.gif

It's summer holidays!

No school out, mean it's time to play with your kids all late nights! gran_risa.gif

One could justifiably say that it may come out early November. When I talk about Holidays, I feel l usually think of Thanksgiving as part of the 30ish days of the Holiday season. I would not go so far to say that Halloween could be included in THE Holidays, even though it is A holiday. So, really, they've given themselves a range of Early November through Christmas.

booored said:

Can someone tell me when the "2012 Holidays" are as a Date?

2012 Holidays is a politically correct way not to say Christmas. It means Christmas time but white people are afraid of offending people. 

Ulairi said:

It means Christmas time but white people are afraid of offending people. 
Are you suggesting that all Christians are 'white people'?

This thread is an excellent example of some individuals' skills at offending people - even in the thread's topic for heaven's sake! sorpresa.gif

Ulairi said:

2012 Holidays is a politically correct way not to say Christmas.

As I said already, when I and most people I know refer to Holidays, I am referring to Thanksgiving as well. Sometimes I may refer to Christmas and New Years as the Holidays (since that is more of a general timespan than one day). Also, I never wish someone a happy holiday when I mean Merry Christmas. The funny thing is, people have referred to the end of the year from Thanksgiving on as The Holidays for decades but suddenly Christians are choosing to take offense at it not being called Christmas time. I'm a Christian and I think it's all ridiculous. Jesus was probably born in August or September anyway.

It depends on how you read it. If you are just going for contextual clues in the Bible itself, you could definitely say it wasn't winter. No way people would have traveled for a census in the winter. So, you have Spring to Fall as a range. If you go beyond the text and pull in astronomers' calculation as to the position of bright objects in the sky (what the wise men went towards, as their religion would have seen it as a sign of a King's birth) you have a conjunction of Jupiter and Venus in August/September around 3 BC and then again a couple of years later. The Wise Men would have arrived when Jesus was a toddler, and most definitely didn't arrive at the same time as the Shepherds. The biggest clue for this is that Herod, after asking the Wise Men how long it had been since the star appeared, he decided to have every child under 2 killed and not every infant. Also, I think September because it would still have been before the big push for the harvest, which would have been too big a deal to skip out on in an Agrarian society.

So I reread the recent update after having not touched it for a month and was struck by how it mentions "2012 Holidays" but the upcoming page has been saying Q3 ever since that update. So if they knew they were shooting for the Christmas season (with its attendant craze of merchandising) why not set the release date as Q4? I'm really confused on this move.

Let's not go reminding them that they technically have until the end of the year when they've got a Q3 posted somewhere.

cleardave said:

Let's not go reminding them that they technically have until the end of the year when they've got a Q3 posted somewhere.

It could be that the 4th quarter of the year is their fiscal 3rd.

Looking forward to the release.

In the UK if you said "the holidays", most people would assume this meant the main annual summer holidays of July & August. The December holiday is called Christmas here.

As there are so many holidays: Easter Holiday, school holidays, bank holidays etc "the holidays" seems a pretty unhelpful way of describing a release date.