Sign in to follow this  
flyboy0106

The Grey Knights fighting in the Badab War

So recently I have picked up the badab war book from forge world, and it occurred to me that this would make a perfect setting for DW. But after doing some reading I felt that the badab war really doesn’t have a xenos threat, at least not in volume 1. So I thought the grey knights will work perfectly. I’m posting this to get feedback / ideas for missions they could do on. The really cool thing about this book is that it came with a poster sized map of the sector, so I’m going to get it laminated and use it during the mission briefing to show where the imperial forces are and current conflicts taking place around the sector. I have the grey knight book on order, so I was wondering if the grey knights have the equivalent to a DW watch station.

Pardon me for my potential ignorance but why would the Grey Knights involve themselves in the Badab War as there would be not Chaos aligned or Warp tainted enemies to engage? As far as I've read from the Lexicanum the Astral Claws only turned to Chaos adter the war was lost and they fled into the Warp while the other Chapters on their side were for one reason or another force to fight on the side of the Astral Claws agains their brother Chapters due to oaths, honor or other obligations. Or is there something that I've missed?

I was thinking the grey knights because the potential to have chaos tainted stuff seems more likely then throwing a xenos invasion in there to give it a DW feel. Don’t get me wrong I have no intention with sticking to the canon but I feel that a xenos invasion would be too much. I guess then it may fit best with just a DH game. But I would love to run a campaign where the GK’s are pulling some of the strings during the war, maybe there are chaos legions invading, but do to the in fighting / deception they are going mostly unnoticed and that’s where GK’s step in to head off these forces. Of course they would want to keep their war secret so that Huron doesn’t reach out for aid from them. I guess I could just use DW and make them normal SM’s , just take away the Deathwatch stuff, and create a chapter out of the Badab book using the chapter generator from rites of battle.

If you read the description of the Mantis Warriors, it states that they worked closely with the Deathwatch for centuries, ever since taking up residence so closely to The Maelstrom. As well as hinting that there were/are several Deathwatch watch stations in and around the hotly contested areas.

Actually, the maelstrom wardens were created to defend against chaos, pirate and xenos incursions from the maelstrom where many such petty empires existed. And the books make clear that these forces were hardly dormant during the Badab war. Often, there was a three-way fight going on, with the wardens having the most interaction as they were mostly located between the chaos, pirate and xenos bands and the loyalists.

So you could easily justify DW missions (maybe even Grey Knights’ missions) against such targets.

Then there are the Tiger Claws. Originally the chapter of Huron in older versions of the story, they have been retconned to a missing chapter returning to Imperial Space and then given sanctuary by their sister chapter Astral Claws after falling foul of the bureaucracy/inquisition. The books hint at them carrying teint which might have seduced the Astral Claws (and Huron especially) into their rebellion.

DW missions to investigate this new returning chapter and their subsequent disappearance might offer fun missions. And if they are indeed chaos tainted, Grey Knights might be necessary to combat them before they turn the entire Astral Claws to chaos…

I think you'd need to add a lot more to the Badab war to make it an issue that demands the Grey Knights' attention. Remember, they are extremely rare and only used in the direst of circumstances when you have a chaos invasion. To put them in a bloody war against Space Marines - renegades, perhaps, but still Space Marines - would be extremely unusual, and generally considered a waste. Remember, the Imperium has quite a few skirmishes with full-on Chaos marines, tainted renegade Guardsmen, and what have you all the time, and Grey Knights don't usually show up for that. As someone on another forum put it, they don't come when **** hits the fan, but when an entire hive city's septic tanks gets flushed in the air-vents. The Badab War was not the kind of conflict they were designed, so there is no reason for them to be used there.

At least, that's how I see it. Keep in mind the book doesn't quite agree, though - there's a SM chapter there called the Exorcists that seems to be pretty much a GK-lite.

You could of course, run it as a standard DW type game with the Caveat that player SM are not actually DW but rather members of one of the aformentioned chapters. Since DW deals with "Veteran" Astartes your players could end up leading squads of marines or combineing for specific "kill team' type missions. It would require a little patience on your part to work out the kinks but it could work!

It is incredibly simple to do a non-deathwatch game with marines - simply do not give them any of the Deathwatch training, do not allow access to the Deathwatch advance tables. Pick a chapter similar to the one you want to use and make all players use it for their characters. It's easy enough to have them be part of a single squad or maybe an honour guard etc if there are trickier classes like techmarine or assault marines (unles they ALL go assault and the non-assault pick pilot(personal) training).

Easy as gretchin-pie.

Kasatka said:

It is incredibly simple to do a non-deathwatch game with marines - simply do not give them any of the Deathwatch training, do not allow access to the Deathwatch advance tables. Pick a chapter similar to the one you want to use and make all players use it for their characters. It's easy enough to have them be part of a single squad or maybe an honour guard etc if there are trickier classes like techmarine or assault marines (unles they ALL go assault and the non-assault pick pilot(personal) training).

Easy as gretchin-pie.

Exactly!cool.gif

Kasatka said:

Easy as gretchin-pie.

Kasatka said:

Easy as gretchin-pie.

Exactly!cool.gif