Sign in to follow this  
GreyHunter88

A Question of Evasiveness

In the rules for Starship Combat, it states emphatically that you are allowed to take your actions in any order you so choose.

If you choose to shoot, and then move with Evasive Maneuvering, do you not suffer any penalties? RAW I don't see any reason why you couldn't just fire first and then jink around, gaining all the benefits but none of the downsides.

I have a pretty easy fix for this problem, but I wanted to see what people thought about it first.

Thanks

You recall incorrectly, unfortunately. The chapter does make it seem, due to some ambiguous wording, that this is the case. When discussing the actions it says stuff like, "After you take your maneuver, you may shoot".

However, Pg. 212, under Actions, states: "Players may perform actions in any order they choose, so an extended action may be performed before a shooting or maneuver action in order to provide it with a bonus, or a ship may move before or after shooting."

Maneuvres Actions must always be the first actions you make on your turn. Only Eldar Starships can Shoot at any point during their Movement (or even before they move at all).

However, Pg. 212, under Actions, states: "Players may perform actions in any order they choose, so an extended action may be performed before a shooting or maneuver action in order to provide it with a bonus, or a ship may move before or after shooting."

Shooting and Movement are not Extended Actions, so the rule doesn't apply.

You are right, good sir. You can shoot and then make Evasive Maneuvers. That way you will never take the Ballistic penalty on your attacks.

I've storytelled RT for half a year and never saw that. Well done! =D

As a GM if my players tried this I would do one of two things:

1) Make sure they get the penalty to their next shooting action in the next round. If they repeat, I repeat.

or

2) Retroactively rework their shooting actions for that round. If I'm feeling a bit pissed off this could be ruling that all shoots just count as misses.

But then again, as a GM, I always ask what their movement action is planned to be, even if they've decided to shoot first.

Haha! It's not so much a well-done moment! It makes me unhappy. =(

I think I'll fix it by emphasizing the rule stating that you have to decide all actions at the start of the turn. If the players want to take evasive maneuvers, I'll make them roll that first, and then take the penalty for the shooting, even if it comes first. That way they can shoot at an enemy in range, and then move away, but they'll still take penalties to hit.

Everything's supposed to be happening at the same time, so it makes sense to me that the penalties to hit would affect the entire turn.

GreyHunter88 said:

I think I'll fix it by emphasizing the rule stating that you have to decide all actions at the start of the turn. If the players want to take evasive maneuvers, I'll make them roll that first, and then take the penalty for the shooting, even if it comes first. That way they can shoot at an enemy in range, and then move away, but they'll still take penalties to hit.

This seems to be the best way to handle it.

After posting your question in a RPG forum from Argentina (my country), someone pointed that the rules say this:

"After completing its Manoeuvre Action, a ship has the option of firing its weapons"

This seems to mean that you must roll for Maneuvers before you fire your weapons, but the actual movement may happen afterwards.