Sign in to follow this  
Bomb

A United Cause (New Spoiled Event from TbC)

The first effect is very nice - for Bara even more than for Stark. Getting TLS or KoF back from the Dead Pile is a huge boon. Thanks to the second effect it will never be a dead card either.

But why did they have to make it Melee only? Seems artificial and arbitrary to me. Or would the effect be too strong in Joust?

Ratatoskr said:

But why did they have to make it Melee only? Seems artificial and arbitrary to me. Or would the effect be too strong in Joust?

Considering there's already a card such as To Be a Dragon that lets you stand a character to put another in play without any additional costs, I wouldn't say it's too strong.

It doesn't make sense to me to create cards exclusively for melee, it's not like you can't use normal cards in melee... I can understand cards having an extra effect (or a more powerful one) when there's more than one opponent.

But playable only in melee games? It just means it's useless most of the time.

I think it follows the pattern FFG has been using for the past 2 chapter cycles: cards are either better than many of the previous play options or, sadly, not worth playing and/or not as good as existing options. it is actually pretty annoying-and even pointed out in the artical that this isnt as good as to be a wolf... since this: a) is melee only (b) costs a power © cant bedoubled by Rickon/is only a limited search. good job FFG thanks for another subpar card slot to waste our money on :)

This is a much better card for Stark than is it for Bara. Stark have real trouble getting characters out of the dead pile. Bara have less of an issue. the top 4 card search is okay, but not nearly as useful. You're replacing a card for a card, with no guarantee that it'll be what you need, at the expense of a power. Handy in a pinch, but unimpressive. For the melee restriction and the power cost, I expect to see better. No double the Lanni/Martell equivalent will be 'remove all opposing characters icons 'til the end of the round or inititate an additional intrigue challenge this round. Gain 5 power.'

@Alpha5099 -  Rickon can not copy effects that search "the top X cards of your deck." He can only copy effects that search your whole deck. This came up recently when the FAQ added a note about Galbert Glover, who lets you search your discard pile if, and only if, you have an effect that searches your deck. While Rickon is still useful, man it makes him a whole lot less so :(

@Nitro Pirate - Exactly :) between the Tourney Grounds and Attach to your opponent's house card cards, the past sets have all been full of head scratchingly inequitable cards for the houses… IMHO it just feels like we are stuck in a perpetual lets "lets fix the house balance by injecting better cards instead of providing conditions for old cards to have new value"

@Skowza - hahaha… what are you talking about? Then A United Cause would be playable ;) and who wants that?

Nitro Pirate said:

This is a much better card for Stark than is it for Bara. Stark have real trouble getting characters out of the dead pile. Bara have less of an issue. the top 4 card search is okay, but not nearly as useful. You're replacing a card for a card, with no guarantee that it'll be what you need, at the expense of a power. Handy in a pinch, but unimpressive. For the melee restriction and the power cost, I expect to see better. No double the Lanni/Martell equivalent will be 'remove all opposing characters icons 'til the end of the round or inititate an additional intrigue challenge this round. Gain 5 power.'

I'd really like to have "Only Thought Dead" back.  It had an old school deck that was running 3x of most of my uniques (yeah, what can I say, I was a n00b)... and that's not counting the additional fun with Lucas. :)

In Joust Stark should not have access to character recursion just like Bara shouldn't have access to deck search. You give each House access to a card effect that is not even remotely in their theme it needs limitations or built in inefficiencies, and making it only useable when you have multiple opponents who can target you sounds fair to me.

Another thing entirely though is all the whining (and if I wasn't on a forum I'd use stronger language) about melee specific cards. The announcement for the set was very clear. This cycle would have melee specific cards and cards that got stronger in melee, as well as a lot of cards that work in Joust. What part of that did you not understand? You don't like it, don't buy it. The cards are spoiled ahead of time so you know what to get or to avoid.

Penfold said:

In Joust Stark should not have access to character recursion just like Bara shouldn't have access to deck search. You give each House access to a card effect that is not even remotely in their theme it needs limitations or built in inefficiencies, and making it only useable when you have multiple opponents who can target you sounds fair to me.

Well, after seeing the other melee plots I can't help but think that Bara and Stark got the short end of the stick. The search part of the card is a bit weak considering that Bara already has some search ability. Its paying a triple penalty for a chance at something better. The recursion part is helpful for Stark but the cost cap is problematic. At very least, it should be Marshalling phase.

By comparison, the Lanni/GJ card gives some draw acceleration or it can stuff multiple locations pre-marshalling, likely increasing income disparity. The Targ/Martell card grants decent recursion that both Houses could make use of or enhances each Houses control effects.

But that is a very different complaint than the one I was addressing, which is why this may have been melee only. It not being as strong as the others is beyond the scope of the argument I was making. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm not sure I agree either.

Penfold said:

But that is a very different complaint than the one I was addressing, which is why this may have been melee only. It not being as strong as the others is beyond the scope of the argument I was making. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm not sure I agree either.

Whilst I think some people are disappointed in seeing melee only cards, if its a good card those people acknowledge its usefulness. They may even try them out even if they would rather joust. Varys is a good example. He's melee only but fairly potent. Also really annoying.

Personally, I was dreading seeing the other melee events because United Cause was so deficient and I like playing melee. Fortunately, the others aren't too bad even with the power cost.