Sign in to follow this  
Roxas_Lawliet

Comprehensive FAQ project

kennetten said:

If I, in the Arkham encounter phase (phase 3) draw a card saying "A gate opens", I immediately get drawn through the gate and get delayed.

When I am delayed in this particular situation, do I get an Other World encounter in the same turn during phase 4?

Yes, actually. Being delayed doesn't supercede your encounter.

ColtsFan76 said:

From deejay:

Updated list of questions:

oh my shoggoth, coltsfan76, cheers! THANK YOU. You just saved me a lot of digging. I spent days on that thread, collecting those questions, lets hope we can now get some answers, and for ALL of them!

Avi_dreader: Waaaaay back when this game was first published, Kevin told us that if it says "Search for the first tome..." then in that case you turn over the cards one at a time, looking for the type and placing all else on the bottom, end of process. But if it tells you to search for a specific item, say the shotgun, you flip through the deck looking for the item and when you find it you reshuffle. This being one of the few ways to reshuffle those decks.

dj2.0 said:

Avi_dreader: Waaaaay back when this game was first published, Kevin told us that if it says "Search for the first tome..." then in that case you turn over the cards one at a time, looking for the type and placing all else on the bottom, end of process. But if it tells you to search for a specific item, say the shotgun, you flip through the deck looking for the item and when you find it you reshuffle. This being one of the few ways to reshuffle those decks.

Heh...  That's great.  But you'd think that sort of thing would actually be incorporated into an official FAQ.  I'd been flipping one card at a time for any kind of search and just putting stuff on the bottom at the end (although I'd actually more leaf through the cards because I didn't like having an idea of what's coming up).  Still, nice to finally know this.

yeah it woulda been nice to see this in official print, but like sooooo many important but twiddly rules, it never did. If this "comprehensive FAQ" ever sees the light of R'lyeh, it will be a tome that makes Al Azif look like Mr Jelly.

Tibs said:

kennetten said:

If I, in the Arkham encounter phase (phase 3) draw a card saying "A gate opens", I immediately get drawn through the gate and get delayed.

When I am delayed in this particular situation, do I get an Other World encounter in the same turn during phase 4?

Wow Looks like I played this wrong....... I played it as only two encounter, none on the turn of being pulled through the gate as he aleady has his "encounter"........

So if in the Arkham Encounter phase and a gate appears, you go to the other words delayed and have an encounter there as well....

so it goes:

1.  Arkham Encounter opens gate>investigator gets sucked through and is delayed>Investigator as Other World Encounter

2. Next turn investigator stands up and has an Other Worlds Encounter

3. Next turn investigator moves to other side of Other Words space and has his third Other Worlds Encounter

Is that how it is suppose to go?

Does not seem like you should have three there, just two (if you arrive Delayed).

Peace

Roger

rdw5150 said:

Tibs said:

kennetten said:

Wow Looks like I played this wrong....... I played it as only two encounter, none on the turn of being pulled through the gate as he aleady has his "encounter"........

So if in the Arkham Encounter phase and a gate appears, you go to the other words delayed and have an encounter there as well....

so it goes:

1.  Arkham Encounter opens gate>investigator gets sucked through and is delayed>Investigator as Other World Encounter

2. Next turn investigator stands up and has an Other Worlds Encounter

3. Next turn investigator moves to other side of Other Words space and has his third Other Worlds Encounter

Does not seem like you should have three there, just two (if you arrive Delayed).

Peace

Roger

Being delayed doesn't mean you don't have encounters, it just means you can't move on your next turn.  Delayed and lose a turn are not the same things.

rdw5150 said:

This is correct.  The reason it goes this way is because they (probably) felt it better to treat delayed investigators consistently than to remove an "exrtra" OW encounters.  The reason it is played out this way is so that when the Mythos gate delays you, you have the 2 encounters.  So the 2 encounters minimum seemed to be the overriding factor instead of as a maximum.  And again, it is all relative because there are plenty of  encounters that delay you and almost as many that send you home early.  So there really is no consistent number of OW encounters you should have.  Theoretically, ou could be delayed indefinitely if you pull the right (or wrong) OW cards.

1.When you draw a card that says a gate and a monster appears, do you still add a doom token?

2.This question popped up in the forums today and while I'm fairly confident of intent (and I'd never heard the consensus on this playing method challenged before), there is some doubt based on the original rulebook pg. 9 section C.  Are doom tokens added even if a gate doesn't appear (i.e. if a gate opens on Kate Winthrop's location, will there be a doom token added even if no monster or gate appears)?  A somewhat related section (in that it deals with the same character and the same part of the manual): if Kate has emerged from a gate but hasn't sealed it yet, and a gate opens on her location, does this prevent a monster surge, and if it doesn't, does it cause the monsters that would have appeared on her location to not appear at all anywhere?

Avi_dreader said:

1.When you draw a card that says a gate and a monster appears, do you still add a doom token?

1. This has already been answered in the original FAQ. You do add a Doom Token for gates appearing by way of an encounter.

thorgrim said:

Avi_dreader said:

1. This has already been answered in the original FAQ. You do add a Doom Token for gates appearing by way of an encounter.

That's how I've always played it, but I couldn't remember reading it anywhere.  Thanks.

Tibs said:

Over coffee and lunch. Heh... how subversive!

KevinW: "What's your take on the current political climate?"

Roxas_Lawliet: "I don't know... what's your take on casting Find Gate immediately after getting tossed into a gate by a Nightgaunt?"

KevinW:  :-O

That's pretty much how I imagined it ^__^

1. When you get an Arkham Encounter card which allows you to move to another location, you do NOT get any of the Clues at that location since you did not end your movement there, correct?

2. What about when you get an Arkham Encounter card which moves you to an Arkham location which has an open gate with monsters on it?  Do you have to deal with the monsters before passing through the gate, or since you moved there during the Arkham Encounter phase, are you immediately drawn through the gate? 

3. When you go to a gate guarded by a monster and fail the first evade check, you can still go through the gate if you pass a second evade check, unlike movement, correct?  

4. When you draw Mythos cards outside of the Mythos phase, such as to place a Servant of Glaaki, or in response to the Kingsport Science Building encounter which allows you to draw three Mythos cards and pick one, sealing the gate if it is open, they are discarded afterward, correct?  

5.  The Mask Beast's chit says that he devours you if you fail both the Combat and Horror check.  If you try to evade the Beast and fail, that counts the same as failing a Combat check, so you are devoured if you also fail the Horror check, correct?

6. If the devouring of an Investigator is what leads to the AO waking up, such as the Old Debts Come Due card fills the remaining three doom spaces on the doom track as it devours the Investigator, you do not get to then draw a new Investigator for the final fight, correct?  

7. The Warding of the Yellow Sign from the KiY expansion says that no monsters may appear via gates in the location it is placed.  So what happens on a monster surge?  Does the monster not appear at all, or does he simply emerge from a different gate?   What about when the surge is centered on the gate that has the Warding?  No other gates may recieve more monsters than the surging gate, so do no monsters at all appear?   

8. Tulzscha makes all Cultists Elusive, while Glaaki makes all of his Cultists Undead Stalkers.  Since Stalker and Elusive are inherently contradictory, what happens?  Does the Herald's instructions supercede those on the AO's card in that instance? 

9. By the same token, Children of the Goat are treated as a Cultist.  Abhoth's special modifiction to Cultists is that they are all removed from the cup when he is the AO.  So are the Children of the Goat and the Dark Druid all removed from the cup when Abhoth is the AO? 

10. The Dark Druid raises a number of questions.  Like the Children of the Goat, his chit says to treat him as a Cultist.  Treating Children of the Goat as Cultists is easy since they have exactly the same starting stats as Cultists, but the Dark Druid does NOT.  Yig's Cultists, for example, have plus zero to the combat check and do four stamina damage.  The Dark Druide naturally has a minus two to the combat check, so following this instruction literally would make the Dark Druid worse instead of better.  The same applies for the minus one Yog's Cultists receive on the combat check. 

I assumed that we're supposed to apply the true modifier to the Dark Druid, looking at how it affects Cultists' original stats to see what the real modifier is and then adding it to the stats the Dark Druid already has.  Yig's Cultists essentially get a minus one to counter the normal Cultist plus one, so then the Dark Druid in a Yig game should have minus three to the combat check and do four stamina damage.  In a Yog game he would have a minus four to the combat check and he'd have Magical Immunity in addition to his natural Physical Resistance, while Hasur's Dark Druid would have a fearsome minus five to the combat check (normal Cultist plus one on the combat check is changed to a minus two when Hastur is the AO, so that equals minus three added to the Dark Druid's natural minus two) and be flying to boot.  Correct?

Another Dark Druid question: It says that when he moves on a black path, all other monsters move on black after their normal movement.  Let's say Hastur is the AO, and the Dark Druid is in the sky.  When his movement symbol comes up there are no Investigators to swoop down on, so he doesn't move at all.  Would all the other monsters still move on black?  In other words, do the remaining monsters move when the Dark Druid actually does move on a black path, or when he technically should be moving on a black path?     

When a Mythos card says that all Cthonians and Dholes in Arkham are returned to the cup, does the Outskirts count as "In Arkham?"

Solan said:

1–12

I actually have answers for some of these, Solan.

2. If you have an Arkham encounter that moves you to a location with a monster, you do not deal with those monsters. You only deal with monsters on the board during Phase 2. Whether you can take clues or not is up in the air, but by applying the same reasoning as with monsters, the answer should be "no." But we'll see.

3. Entering a gate is not done during the movement phase. Whether or not you passed an evade check against monsters on a gate, if you're on that gate during the following phase, Arkham Encounters, and you don't have an Explored token, you enter the gate, no questions asked.

4. This I'd like to know too. If a special ability says "whenever an X Mythos card is drawn..." does that count for when you draw them other than for the Mythos phase? (Ghroth's ability and Servants of Glaaki come to mind).

5. You are not devoured. The Evade check is not the Combat check. It just happens that the penalty for failing an evade check is always the same as failing a combat check, but you're not failing the same check. Failing to evade and then failing the horror check does not meet the requirements for The Beast to devour you.

7. Warding of the Yellow Sign neither prevents monster surges nor displaces monsters. Any monsters coming out of that location do not appear at all. If the Warding is on Wizard's Hill and there is a surge centered on Wizard's Hill, the surge still occurs—just, after you've decided where all the monsters are appearing (if there is a choice), then none of the monsters directed to Wizard's Hill come out. All the rest do. This does not counteract the rule that no gate receives more than the surging gate, because Wizard's Hill was still supposed to get that many monsters. But they just didn't appear because of the Warding.

8. Elusive and Stalking are not at odds. Such cultists will still move just like stalkers, and you still have to pass the evade check to engage them. The question is how one moves when it's in the same location as an investigator—does it stay put or move away? I'd say stay put, because if it's a stalker, it's going to want to stay nearby. It's just staying out of sight of the investigator. In fact, that is usually how real-life stalkers perform ;)

9+. I asked about DD's movement already, but as far as your Yig question, I'd say this: "treat like a cultist" means exactly that. Dark Druid now has a +0 modifier instead of -2. But is this weaker? He still has a 4-stamina combat damage, and still adds a doom token to Yig if you kill him. I guess this means that DD and Child of the Goat are not included in the monster cup with Abhoth. But what do you do with Abhoth/Tulszcha? One cultist? No cultists? Can you start off a Tulzscha game with a Dark Druid or Child of the Goat instead of a Cultist?

1.   One KiY graveyard encounter summons all Undead monsters from Arkham, the Sky, and the Outskirts to the graveyard.    If these monsters are evaded, what happens?  Do they return to their old locations or stay in the Graveyard?    If the in-Arkham monster limit is not at it’s maximum, do the undead formerly in the outskirts remain in Arkham?   What happens if Kate Winthrop gets this encounter?

2. How does the Lure Monster spell (DH) function if Kate Winthrop uses it?

3. If I fail to cast ‘Bind Monster’  (AH),  I don’t have to discard the spell, correct?

4. What is the point of the ‘Wrack’ spell?    Especially compared to fall superior evade spells like Summon Shantak, or Mists of R’lyeh…

5. I f I have the ‘Grapple’ skill (DH) and am using a Shotgun, does a dice roll of 5 count as 2 successes?

6. Some weapons, like the Derringer or the Deputy’s Revolver, state that they can not be lost or stolen unless you choose to allow it.   What does this mean, exactly?  When might this ability come into play?

I have a more specific question—are weapons and items that say "cannot be lost or stolen unless you choose to allow it" immune to Ithaqua's Start of Battle ability?

How does Kate's ability affect the Summon Monster spell from the Black Goat expansion?

awp832 said:

4. What is the point of the ‘Wrack’ spell?    Especially compared to fall superior evade spells like Summon Shantak, or Mists of R’lyeh…

5. I f I have the ‘Grapple’ skill (DH) and am using a Shotgun, does a dice roll of 5 count as 2 successes?

2. Same as normal. Kate's ability prevents "A monster appears!" encounters, or gates opening on her by either encounters or mythos cards. Lure Monster just moves a monster, which her ability does not prevent.

4. Wrack is as it says. Combat ends as if you fled. Summon Shantak won't work once you're in battle and need to leave; Mists of Releh requires that you use the monster's evade modifier. I don't think Wrack requires this. All spells are conditional, too—you have what you have, and sometimes it's not that useful.

5. Yes. A 5 is now a 6. What is not officially stated is what a 6 becomes. A 7? Probably not, because the rules don't say a 7 is a success and that would render the skill useless. Since a 7 is not on a 6-sided die, a 6 stays as a 6.

awp832 said:

1.   One KiY graveyard encounter summons all Undead monsters from Arkham, the Sky, and the Outskirts to the graveyard.    If these monsters are evaded, what happens?  Do they return to their old locations or stay in the Graveyard?    If the in-Arkham monster limit is not at it’s maximum, do the undead formerly in the outskirts remain in Arkham?   What happens if Kate Winthrop gets this encounter?

3. If I fail to cast ‘Bind Monster’  (AH),  I don’t have to discard the spell, correct?

6. Some weapons, like the Derringer or the Deputy’s Revolver, state that they can not be lost or stolen unless you choose to allow it.   What does this mean, exactly?  When might this ability come into play?

1. The card says that undead move to the graveyard, nothing else, so they would stay there, even those from the Outskirts. My call would be that they don't leave the Outskirts if at the monster limit though. If Kate drew this encounter, it still happens, as her ability states that monsters cannot APPEAR at her location, but they can move there. This encounter specifically states MOVE the monsters there.

2. As above, Lure Monster just MOVES monsters as stated on the spell, it doesn't make them appear.

3. As far as I know you don't but not sure whether this has been officially errata'd or just that this is the general agreement of the board.

4. Summon Shantak is only useful while moving, and Mists of Releh is only useful for an evade check. Wrack can only be used in combat, whether you want to be making the combat check or not, so it could be used in the first round of combat against a monster that has surprised you or in later rounds against a monster with ambush, where the other two could not. Wrack is equally as useful as Summon Shantak as far as I am concerned, Mists of Releh is the weaker spell.

5. hmmm. Arguable both ways, I would generally say no, but this one actually may need official clarification.

6. You only have two weapons, the derringer and deputy's revolver. You fall unconscious but don't want another Injury, so you have to discard half your items. Both your items say they can't be lost, so you keep them.

What happens if you run out of clue tokens because your  characters have gained them all?  Do no clue tokens appear, and do cards that require you to place a clue token on them when certain events occur then go into stasis?  Or do you mark clue tokens with something else?

hi,

I would suggest to use more detail activity diagram when it si possible into the rule book.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activity_diagram

here is an exemple in french apply to the arkham rules:

o0mdg0o.free.fr/wiki/HaA_Phases_du_jeu.pdf

it can be a very powerful complement to the faq

hope I'm not out of the scope of this topic (I appology if I am)

Hope this will help.

I'm not sure an instruction book full of flowcharts would be a good idea.  Personally I find it much more difficult to understand a page-size flowchart such as the ones you posted, than to understand it written in words.  It works either way, but it takes more time to step through a flowchart and understand it.  Obviously if you find flowcharts easier then you should definitely make them for yourself.  But I doubt most people read them with greater ease than they read words.

Who said full of or replacement?  They could be included as a one or two page supplement.  It would be nice to have something to give to newbies rather than saying, "Uh, I'd give you the manual, but despite its size, it's far too disorganized to be of help."

What do the symbols at the bottom of the locations indicate? (Ex. If there is an unique item symbol in the right bottom corner and a clue symbol in the left bottom corner) There are sometimes symbols in the center along the bottom as well.

camp1ace said:

What do the symbols at the bottom of the locations indicate? (Ex. If there is an unique item symbol in the right bottom corner and a clue symbol in the left bottom corner) There are sometimes symbols in the center along the bottom as well.

Are you asking so it will go in the FAQ so others will quit asking?  Or are you asking because you don't know?

In case the second...

The symbols at the bottom left and right of a location indicate the most common "reward" in that location.  So if you see a Unique Item symbol, then that is the most likely reward you will get in the encounters.  If the symbol is reversed (black with white outline), then there is a guranteed way of getting that item at that location (such as Stamina at the hospital by taking the special ability).

The symbol at the center bottom represents either a train depot (engine symbol) or an aquatic location (wave symbol).