20 John Bruno 10-5  35 Lucas Reed
   3 Pavel N 5-5  10 Jerod Leupold
  23 Diemy Darling 5-5  31 Orcl Rob
  34 Joshua Staton 5-5  36 Wade Freeman
  30 Kyle Vancil 5-5   5 Adam Bomb
  24 Mathias Fricot 3-3   1 Brent Donahue
   4 Mathew Yakobina 3-3  18 Kid Gruesome
  11 Coys 1882 0-0  32 Sactown Rave

i'm not sure how i feel about the tourney so far. to clarify, i am having a TON of fun with it, what i mean is, i thought that after my matches i'd have a feeling of ... 'ok i won/lost that match because i clearly built a better/worse deck than my opponent and i deserved to win/lose'. So far though i have won all three matches and all i feel is incredibly lucky to backass my way into 3 of the best mulligans that I ever had in my life. And with the 1 game format its really a lot more luck than i expected going in (this is my first tourney). 

to the more experienced folks. do you find tournies in aGoT are generally 50-50 luck skill? More towards luck? More towards skill? 

to recap, fun factor is through the roof, but i wished i felt better about my wins instead of feeling like i just won the lotto 3 times in a row.

Yeah this portion wasn't very well thought out. I think that next time we'll have to have a site where you can upload your tourney report/report your win/loss. It would make it easier for everyone involved and give people outside of the tourney to see the different match ups.

I had thoughts about posting a tourney report after my first game with Maekar in round two (my round one was a bye due to a late withdrawal) but then I thought better of it...mainly, as we hadn't agreed anything about wider deck disclosure and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes but blurting their deck secrets all over the place. I'm kinda glad I didn't, because in round three I was specifically asked to enter into a gentleman's agreement on that very thing, which I was happy to agree to.

If there was one thing I'd like to see for a future tourney, it would be to require submissions of deckslists before the tournament, and then to ask a non-participating regular to look after the decklists for publication in the later rounds (maybe around the quarter finals?) as in most tournaments word will have gotten around on what's going on in whoever's deck at that point anyhow. Maybe if people have a super-secret-tech that doesn't always come out, they can ask for x number of cards to omitted from the published lists? Maybe I'm overcomplicating things, but I think it's easily manageable.

Would also be cool if people agreed to have the games / conversations recorded for later replay. I'd love to see how some of the other rounds panned out,

Getting back on track with the current tourney; it's been tons of fun already and, whatever happens now, I can be glad I entered. For anyone who just missed out, and who is thinking of participating next time, you should. OCTGN was completely new to me at the outset of this tourney and I learned how to use it only three days beforehand, and it's a doddle to use, so don't let that put you off!

Ok for the reports, it could be pretty hard to report a game without spoiling anything..

I was asking mostly on game results, to know how my french "team mates" were going through this competition happy.gif

im of the opinion that all decks should be published pre tourney (i published mine on agotcards talkboard). but then again maybe im just a freak :) i actually gain more satisfaction out of winning, knowing that my opponent knew exactly what i was gunna throw at him ahead of time. my round three opponent actually told me after the match (that i won) that he took my decklist and had someone construct it and play against him with it to help him prepare. so that win means the most to me as of right now :)

Lol.  That is satisfying!

The problem I have with that is if the opponent knows what he's up against, he can plan his play around anticipating your plots and cards etc.  So, if I lose because of that knowledge that would suck.  I might know they have particular control cards etc and may know exactly who to kneel or discard because of certain conditions that I know must be met.  Part of the deck building strategy is not knowing what your opponent has I think.

decklists are constructed before the tournament starts and cannot change from round to round, so no one can build their deck around yours unless it was expected and he built his deck around that i.e. maesters or lanni kneel or some other popular deck type at the time. i do not think this means everyones deck list ought to be posted prior to the start. but, a tourney report that includes house and agenda gives away only what would be quickly learned at a tourney and, i think, gives sufficient expectations and mystery to satisfy both sides.

HoyaLawya said:

decklists are constructed before the tournament starts and cannot change from round to round, so no one can build their deck around yours unless it was expected and he built his deck around that i.e. maesters or lanni kneel or some other popular deck type at the time. i do not think this means everyones deck list ought to be posted prior to the start. but, a tourney report that includes house and agenda gives away only what would be quickly learned at a tourney and, i think, gives sufficient expectations and mystery to satisfy both sides.

Yeah.  The house and agenda list would be a good idea at a minimum.

I sent Staton a video of my second round loss, so he could post it/mock it/commentate on it/whatever. Not sure if he used it, but it certainly shows what happens when someone comes into one of these things unprepared.

Yeah I really have been meaning to get some commentary together for this. Sadly I have barely been able to keep up with the pairings every round. I am going to try and get something put together this week at some point though.

Staton said:

Yeah I really have been meaning to get some commentary together for this. Sadly I have barely been able to keep up with the pairings every round. I am going to try and get something put together this week at some point though.

Well honestly you've done more than enough just organizing it Josh.  All the nice to haves are really secondary in my eyes!  :-)

Well, the bad news is: I got eviscerated once again. The good news is, we played a friendly rematch with the improved version of my tourney deck you helped me with Staton, and I won that one. I guess that's like those Marvel "what if" comics.