Sign in to follow this  
SanguinousRex

Arkham Horror: The Best Boardgame Ever Created by Man/Mythos

Whether Lovecraft came up with the Cthulhu Mythos by himself or if Cthulhu himself sent chilling dreams that Lovecraft scrambled to put on paper, the Mythos has changed, adapted, grown and somehow created the BEST boardgame ever .  I love boardgames, and have many, most of which are yummy Fantasy Flight games (best product value out there).  But nothing beats Arkham Horror.

Who's with me?

I agree with you completely. Arkham is a game that combines the best plot with awesome gameplay. It's a game that's different everytime and never ceases to be challenging. Not to mention that it's highly customizable and has had awesome expansions. Once Innsmouth Horror is annouced/released it'll be perfect.

Yeah, I'll go in on that.

I have never really enjoyed a board game this much before in my life.  Not only because of the Lovecraft theme, which I have adored in gaming ever since Chaosium gave me a brilliant new way to look at both HPL's fiction and role-playing (wait...SANITY is a STAT???)...and not only because of the stunning production values: artwork just not seen anywhere else by truly Mythos-loving artists, and strong beefy chits!...but because this is the first board game I have EVER found (in decades!) where I can actually get cutthroat competitive friends to agree to work together, and ENJOY DOING IT.  Over and over and over again, because "never the same game twice".  Cthulhu, Glaaki, Atlach-Nacha...these guys make people MAD...but at THE GAME, not each other.

(And frankly, nowadays, we SERIOUSLY need something to beat on besides each other.)

It is indeed the very best board game there is.

What I find most fascinating about it though, is how it keeps on drawing in more and more people all the time. We regularly play in a group of around six people, but every time I play the game with someone else, they immediately buy the game themselves and invite more people to play it with them. Even people who have never heard of Lovecraft and have no particular fondness of the setting still love the game. The game continues to amaze me with its ability to fascinate everyone I show it to.

Yes,

Arkham is still the best!!!!!

It's one of the few games I can stomach to play every day!

Great theme, expandable, RPG-ish, great components, nice and simple rules that work in all situations.....Oh wait. lol

IA IA FFG!!!

:)

I'll add my vote for AH as well. For me, with the right frame of mind, AH is more of an event than a mere board game. It's a giddy, deep, complex cathartic experience. I've found that even when playing the game wrong, as we did many times during the early days, it's still great. Trying to find ANY co-operative game is tough, and finding a superior, satisfying co-op game is nearly impossible. It is truly unique and undeniably epic.

Yep. To all of the above. Except the Sorry part, sorry.

Why:

Before vomiting into our reality, It stewed in Richards mind for 20 years, thats why. After the first chaosium edition, It Waited. And It grew. And now its too late, the expansions will never stop, and all is lost, All is lost.

I miss Millmaster. We seem to have lost him in the first great cull.

Even though it's one Yuggoth of a game my personal vote goes to Kill Doctor Lucky instead.

There are some flaws with this game that stop it from beeing on top. The replay value is unheard of but it also bears with it a lot of expansions that require a lot of knowledge concerning the rules, a lot of things to keep track on all the time and mostly might scare away those who are unfamiliar with larger types of bordsgames. I for instance is having a hard time pursuading my friends to give this game a go since all the cards and tokens is to much for them, and this is friends used to roleplaying and such and also I've started with the core game.

However, this game shouldn't be considered done yet as we still hold our breath for Innsmouth and possible some other expansions that even the odds of getting the important cards when adding several expansions. (like the next act begins etc).

Tibs said:

What's up Count Crapula! I don't remember seeing you since like two boards ago.

Hey Tibs. Yeah, I'm back. Woo Hoo...I nearly missed the entire second version of the board. It's been a strange few years. I caught a bit of cancer (in my tonsils!) in '06, did the treatment thing, got healed, then left my job in '07. Now I'm living in Oklahoma doing petroleum research. I finally have a house with a real library/game room and am ready to start rounding up some players. It also seems I missed out on two AH expansions. Oh, the humanity. Time to get back to the maddening business of Arkham Horrorgran_risa.gif. How is all with you Tibs? I'm still reserving judgment on the new board design. Take care,

Count Crapula

Svavelvinter said:

Even though it's one Yuggoth of a game my personal vote goes to Kill Doctor Lucky instead.

There are some flaws with this game that stop it from beeing on top. The replay value is unheard of but it also bears with it a lot of expansions that require a lot of knowledge concerning the rules, a lot of things to keep track on all the time and mostly might scare away those who are unfamiliar with larger types of bordsgames. I for instance is having a hard time pursuading my friends to give this game a go since all the cards and tokens is to much for them, and this is friends used to roleplaying and such and also I've started with the core game.

However, this game shouldn't be considered done yet as we still hold our breath for Innsmouth and possible some other expansions that even the odds of getting the important cards when adding several expansions. (like the next act begins etc).

I have a weakness for expansions. If AH never had an expansion, I would lenjoy the game as much as I do now. My problem is when an expansion comes out, I feel a need to get it, and incorporate it fully into the game. Instead of selecting certain expansion elements and excluding others, I just add a side table to accomodate the new real estate. I do understand the concern, espcially if you had to teach new players. It can get overwhelming to a rookie. Some of us find the insane depth and complexity all the more reason to love AH's tentacled goodness.

It's kind of weird, I think I'm one of the only people who finds the rules for Arkham easy!  Once you sit down, read through them and get a game down, it's easy as pie, expansions included!  It just requires bookkeeping of sorts (what effects are in, well, effect, if some action triggers the special ability of GOO/Guardian/Herald, etc.).  Oh, and hi everyone :)  Nice to meet so many fellow Arkhamites!

SanguinousRex said:

It's kind of weird, I think I'm one of the only people who finds the rules for Arkham easy!  Once you sit down, read through them and get a game down, it's easy as pie, expansions included!  It just requires bookkeeping of sorts (what effects are in, well, effect, if some action triggers the special ability of GOO/Guardian/Herald, etc.).  Oh, and hi everyone :)  Nice to meet so many fellow Arkhamites!

That might be but aside from this games popularity I think there is a reason we have over 460 threads concerning this game: many of them are rule clarification questions. The rules might be quite easy but the game is full of scenarious where it's up to the player/s to decide what to do.  Also there is always the possibility that even though you think the rules are easy someway along the line you have a rule wrong. gui%C3%B1o.gif