Sign in to follow this  
player1197498

"Critical" Books for Dark Heresy GM?

I got some good advice for using "Black Crusade's" from another GM for character creation / rules replacing the orignal Dark Heresy Corebook (and others) rules. I currently own the aformentioned corebook, and the Ordo Malleus book. I had initially planned to use the RAW (which have some issues), then transfer it to Strands of Fate or Savage Worlds, but then got the above recommendation. I just like the system - it's probably my early childhood exposure to WFRP.

What other books from the DH series you would recommend as being critical, must-buys in terms of communicating flavor or providing huge value adds (e.g., an opponent book)? For example, I'm sure the abitrator book is cool, but I'm not sure that it would go on your critical list.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Books that communicatie the setting’s fluff particularly well are the ones I would recommend. Top of the list is most certainly Disciples of the Dark Gods. It does the above and provides adversaries, plots, settings and a host of ideas. The closest a game setting book ever came to a thrilling read.

The Inquisitor’s Handbook is basically a long list of items, weapons etc but it does contain some important alternate career ranks and lots of snippets of background lore and fluff.

The Radical’s Handbook features lots of Inquisitorial factions plus their secrets, schemes and plots, which is interesting too.

furashgf said:

Is the creature's anathema worhtwhile?

Most of the critters detailed therein are intended to challenge medium-to-high-level parties, so it is not very useful at the start of a campaign. A clash between a standard 1st-level party and a like number of Ork Boyz or Eldar Rangers will likely result in a Total Party Kill. You'll probably want to consider picking it up when your group hits about 3rd level, i.m.o.

Desciples of the Dark Gods is my favorite sourcebook- you can't so much as browse through it without coming up with scenario ideas...

Creatures Anathema is probably the book I was most looking out for and which upon release disappointed me most.

The writing is weird, clumsy even, and some of the 'monsters' really don't do it for me. On the plus side, it does feature several Eldar, Orks and Genestealers, and some good new xenos like the simulacrum.

"blood of the martyrs", definitely a must have! religion is a super vital part of the 40k universe, and as a DM you need to know what's going on and why!!

! : ?

I think that its pretty much the same books that are needed elsewhere that a GM should have which are critical - Inquisitor's Handbook and Disciples of the Dark Gods and the rest are all good and so but I wouldn't classify them as being critical to possess.

My critical list:

Core

Inquisitor's Handbook

Radical's Handbook

Nice, but not absolutely necessary:

Disciples of the Dark Gods (close to being as necessary as Radical's)

Daemon Hunter

Blood of Martyrs

Purge the Unclean (3 good starter modules, laid out pretty good)

Get when you can afford it, but don't rush out and get it if you have more important things to do:

Creatures Anathema

Haarlock, part I, II & III

This list is in order for priority for me.

You might consider reading some of the 'fluff' books... like the Eisenhorn series. I tend to think the writing is bad, but it gives you a good idea on how Inquisitors operate.

I'd say:

Most Important:

Core

Disciples of the Dark Gods

Inquisitor's Handbook

Very useful, but you can play without them:

Book of Judgement

Blood of Martyrs

Daemon Hunter

Radical's Handbook

Hostile Acquisitions (yeah, I know it's for RT but it has lots of useful info for DH)

Useful but you can buy them when you have more money:

Creatures Anathema

Ascension

Purge the Unclean

Haarlock's Trilogy

I agree with Zooaster.  The best book for getting the flavour and heaps of background is the Dark Heresy Core Book.  Even if some of the rules are superceded, it is still the best all rounder.