Sign in to follow this  
Romus

Questions

What do you as GM, and your players prefer out of the following:

1. Track ammo, or not [i only have 3 arrows left! vs unlimited arrows]

2. Track encumbrance, or not

3. Track food, or not

4. Track coins, or not

5. Track inventory, or not  (Every item they carry is tracked, is it in the backpack, in the belt pouch, stuffed in their shoe, etc.)

The reason I ask is because I love this stuff, yet most players I have do not.  

Romus said:

3. Track food, or not

4. Track coins, or not

5. Track inventory, or not  (Every item they carry is tracked, is it in the backpack, in the belt pouch, stuffed in their shoe, etc.)

1. Track

2. Track

3. Track

4. Track, and not every coin is accepted everywhere. Conversion can cost ya also.

5. Not really tracked. I like an answer if I ask where something is, but usually it's not a biggie.

I would do things differently in a different game. I like my Warhammer to be a bit more grounded in the stuff. Just seems to fit the world.

Romus said:

3. Track food, or not

4. Track coins, or not

1. Initially we tracked, but now our main missile user uses one of the main mini pre-built trackers, which i ask him to move down "every so often" during combat, depending on the action he is performing (there's been previous discussions that melee action cards could represent many blows, so why do missile actions represent a single arrow?) - fortune dice are used to recover "some" arrows after combat, and every so often he buys/makes some during downtime

2. tracked very roughly - they know their normal equipment is below encumbrance levels and if they start picking up too much stuff, we check, but we do constantly keep it 100% accurate

3 Not really tracked, but have always been able to buy meals in Inns etc - I sometimes use the "you are feeling a bit hungry and should find somewhere to eat" as a way of moving the session on, if they are a bit stuck

4. In theory they track them!

5. Dont really track unless they want to put something somewhere "unexpected" - equipment is assumed to be in the normal place unless specified otherwise.

For me personally, tracking all that stuff is very much part of the "gamey" part of the game, whereas for me, I'm more interested in the story part - if it's dramatic for the archer to be short on arrows at a particular point, I'll try and make that so etc

Our DW GM trakcs all that kind of stuff and has come up with, IMO, so ludicruos rules around carrying equipment that has just caused friction and argument in the group, so I'd rather just fee-wheel it a bit more, and keep the game more mellow!

1. Track ammo, or not [i only have 3 arrows left! vs unlimited arrows]  -- No.  Its an incidental cost and combats don't go that long.

2. Track encumbrance, or not.  No.  It's more like "guidelines" where we say, "How do you think you're going to carry all that stuff?  No mule?  Oh, well then you just are going to have to figure something else out".

3. Track food, or not -- Only for the initial purchase for expeditions.  Mainly they're tracking how much ale they have.

4. Track coins, or not. --- BRASS..nope.

5. Track inventory, or not --- Roughly yes for any item that matters.  I'm not tracking shoes. In fact, I tell my players, they have a bag of crap with incidental stuff in it.  Do you need chalk?  Yea, there's probably a piece laying in there somewhere.  Do you need 75' of rope?  That you have to have written down.

I tend to alway track ammo and cash.

Although there are exceptiions: Cash if not tracked for everyday food (and lodging) and the other things you mentionned could be tracked depending on the narrative of the game. For instance, I'd track food and water if the adventurers went into an expedition into the "wild".

I've been thinking about having my PC group's Waywatcher start tracking his arrow usage and our Roadwarden track his ball and shot usage, since we've kinda ignored it until now. I was thinking a small cup of black beads for tracking shot and a set toothpicks stuck in a piece of foam for tracking arrows (both cheap and abundant from a craft store). Keep from having to remember to write that **** down...which is why I believe they've forgotten up until now.

As for tracking food. It hasn't been necessary yet, since they've been in a town, city, or safe snug coach for most our sessions. However, it WILL definitely become important during the next leg of my campaign...oh yes, they will struggle and grovel for crumbs, maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh!!!

1.)  I track ammo with modified toothpicks. I crafted them to look like arrows down to the fletching and silver painted tips. They come bundled with hair elastics and in three different variety's denoted by fletching colour. Green for average, Red for fine (+1 [w], +1 Dmg), Blue for poor (-1 dmg)

2.)  I'm trying to figure out how to do this effectively with out using scratch paper.

3.)  Within my Travel and Its Perils module there are several ideas on how to track food, currently I just have the party pool their money and purchase rations for the whole party and track those rations via Resource Tokens on the Party Sheet.

4.)  Coins are to be tracked in shinny metal! :) Campaign coins are going to be at my table soon! I have a feeling that these will really add a ton of depth to my players roleplaying immersion and experience.

5.) I also want to use Game Mastery cards for my players inventory. I feel that with the whole card theme staying rather consistent my players should be able to grasp the concept of inventory and resource management much more tangibly. These cards work quite well with WHFRP 3e, however I'd love to see FFG do an Items vault for WHFRP 3e.

Those are my two cents worth. I do believe that by tracking these things that your games live and breath a bit more. I highly recommend tracking all of them, however try to find ways that work best for your group.

1:yes

2:Using logic mainly.

3:somewhat in town I just make them subtract X amount for the meal quality they want each day

4:yes I would Like to actually get my hands on campaign coins as that seems a neat Idea to try ( someone give a review of those once you have tested please)

5:Roughly again using logic (no you don't have your armor and great axe at this party unless you want to be bounced at the gate)

The Strolling Bones said:

1.)  I track ammo with modified toothpicks. I crafted them to look like arrows down to the fletching and silver painted tips. They come bundled with hair elastics and in three different variety's denoted by fletching colour. Green for average, Red for fine (+1 [w], +1 Dmg), Blue for poor (-1 dmg)

2.)  I'm trying to figure out how to do this effectively with out using scratch paper.

3.)  Within my Travel and Its Perils module there are several ideas on how to track food, currently I just have the party pool their money and purchase rations for the whole party and track those rations via Resource Tokens on the Party Sheet.

4.)  Coins are to be tracked in shinny metal! :) Campaign coins are going to be at my table soon! I have a feeling that these will really add a ton of depth to my players roleplaying immersion and experience.

5.) I also want to use Game Mastery cards for my players inventory. I feel that with the whole card theme staying rather consistent my players should be able to grasp the concept of inventory and resource management much more tangibly. These cards work quite well with WHFRP 3e, however I'd love to see FFG do an Items vault for WHFRP 3e.

Those are my two cents worth. I do believe that by tracking these things that your games live and breath a bit more. I highly recommend tracking all of them, however try to find ways that work best for your group.

Any chance we could see a pic of your arrow tokens, I'm very interested in replicating this!

Track all but go light on food due to use of inns etc.  I use paizo cards and home blew cards for some things such as herbs, scrolls etc.

I have offered use of tokens for arrows but player fine without them.

Would use coins but campaign not focussing on money and I am happy with that.

Rob