Sign in to follow this  
Vanaheim

Invoking a blessing

I've looked around for an answer to this one but found nothing, which makes me think I'm missing something obvious...  At the risk of embarrassing myself, I have a question around invoking a blessing.

I understand it's a two-stage process.  First I need to pass an Invocation check, then I need to provide enough favour to fuel the blessing's effect.  If I fail in the Invocation check, and roll a bane causing a negative effect, do I suffer that negative effect and also lose one favour for the failure itself?

That is correct.  You would lose one favour (favor!) for the failure of the Invocation action, and also suffer any negative effects you generated the appropriate symbols for (Banes, Chaos Star, etc).  If it had none, you'd suffer the universal bane effect if you had enough banes as well.

bigity said:

That is correct.  You would lose one favour (favor!) for the failure of the Invocation action, and also suffer any negative effects you generated the appropriate symbols for (Banes, Chaos Star, etc).  If it had none, you'd suffer the universal bane effect if you had enough banes as well.

Great, thanks Bigity.  It's nice to know I was thinking on the right lines happy.gif

I have a couple embarrassingly simple questions on invoking a blessing that I hoped someone could answer.

Here's the setup . . .

1. Initiate plays Action Card for blessing

2.  Initiate passes Invocation check

3.  Initiate has insufficient favor for effect to begin instantly

So, my two questions:

Question 1:  Should the player choose not to Curry favor, they will retrieve 1 favor towards equilibrium to go towards the "blessing debt" needed for the blessing to take effect.  While this favor is trickling in, can the initiate be taking any other actions?  Or does that by default abort the blessing?  In other words, does the character have to actively concentrate (use up action) on funneling favor until the blessing goes off?

Question 2:  When a blessing takes more than one round to deliver, would the recharge begin when the blessing effect is "released"  and not when the Invocation check was successfully made?

Ghazi said:

Question 1:  Should the player choose not to Curry favor, they will retrieve 1 favor towards equilibrium to go towards the "blessing debt" needed for the blessing to take effect.  While this favor is trickling in, can the initiate be taking any other actions?  Or does that by default abort the blessing?  In other words, does the character have to actively concentrate (use up action) on funneling favor until the blessing goes off?

No need to concentrate, the favour gain/paying debt is automatic.

The cleric may perform more actions including casting another Blessings. But if you do cast another Blessing it removes the currently 'indebted' Blessing without it going off and loses all the favour already invested, possibly suffering stress and fatigue in the process.

(Page 119 of the Players' Guide) 

Ghazi said:

Question 2: When a blessing takes more than one round to deliver, would the recharge begin when the blessing effect is "released" and not when the Invocation check was successfully made?

When it's released. (Page 121 of the Players' Guide)

afaik - if you start a blessing and the invocation check is successful then the blessing is put on the table and all avail favour is put into it.

evereytime you gain favour, it goes directly into the blessing until the favour amout is reached.

if you cast a 2nd blessing and the check is successful, the blessing is put on the table, but all favour generated goes into the 1st until the

favour is needed is reached, after that the favour goes into the 2nd.

so as a priest you can have a pipeline of blessings.

Char has 4 WP 

round #1:

cast blessing 1 (needs 6 favour)

blessing is put on the table with 4 favour

round #2

cast blessing 2 (needs 3 favour)

blessing 1 now has 5 favour (4+1)

round #3

blessing 1 ACTIVATES

round #4

blessing 2 now has 1 favour (1)

A related question . . .

A priest who uses Curry Favor to generate more than equilibrium can retain that additional amount by using a maneuver, right?  This allows them to hold Favor without having it trickle away.   Is there any time limit to this?   And if you move from encounter to story mode, I imagine you slide back to equilibrium, right?

Ghazi said:

A related question . . .

A priest who uses Curry Favor to generate more than equilibrium can retain that additional amount by using a maneuver, right?  This allows them to hold Favor without having it trickle away.   Is there any time limit to this?   And if you move from encounter to story mode, I imagine you slide back to equilibrium, right?

Since story mode time units can range from minutes to months.  If the narrative of story mode is under an hour then I would allow my players to maintain favour during story mode, BUT would not allow them to remove fatigue/stress (normal "after encounter" event) or even move without spending fatigue UNTIL they allow their characters to return to equilibrium.  

Example: After a bloody battle with some beastmen, a priest character wants to search the beastmen's lair for clues about the quest at hand and maintain favour at the same time.  While the other party members are coming "down" from their "adrenalin rush" while they also search for clues, the priest is growing even more fatigued (+1).  If the Party then decides to return to nears town (a 3 hour trek), the priest must return to equilibrium and only then, recovers stress/fatigue.

Another related question concerning Initiate Blessing:

Is There any way to speed the process of casting a spell multiple times?

I ask because after a particular dire battle many characters are wounded and in need of Cure. The party is inside a dungeon (they know there is more enemies ahead) and so want to be in good condition before engage in a new battle.

There is a Initiate of Sigmar in the party, so after we enter the Story Mode he started to tend his companions wounds using Healing Hand. And boy, it takes a LOT of time to treat all his companions...

The process of Casting the Spell, Curry more favour to activate the blessing, manage the stress suffered, distribute the curing... demands too much time, rolls and effort. 

My players become impatient and a little frustrated (and I really can't blame them).

Any ideas to speed this process? Is there a limit of how many times I can use a curing Spell in story mode?    

Don't let them fully heal. A rally step is not a "wound reset device".  If the players are simply waiting for healing, then bring the fight to them or have them fail the task at hand or have some random monsters attack.

As a GM, you might have to tone down the difficulty of the upcoming encounter if the party is really hurting bad, but don't just have players twiddle their thumbs waiting for a divine healing.

The combat was against a group of undeads (skeletons henchmen, zombies henchmen and a crypt ghoul), a necromancer put in a chamber to halt the heroes.

I didn't intend to make the combat that hard and although none of the Pcs were critically wounded, some of them were really beaten up. The Roadwarden for instance take 9 wounds (and her Wound Threshold is 12).

There is no more enemies in the place except the Necromancer. And with some of them wounded they're relutant to advance without some sort of heal.

In this situation, I agree with them in one point: march to the battle in that shape would be suicidal.

Another question:

The favour points recharge naturally until reach the Equilibrium. How long does a favour point take to recharge? I looked at the book, but could't find...

lpgiehl said:

The combat was against a group of undeads (skeletons henchmen, zombies henchmen and a crypt ghoul), a necromancer put in a chamber to halt the heroes.

I didn't intend to make the combat that hard and although none of the Pcs were critically wounded, some of them were really beaten up. The Roadwarden for instance take 9 wounds (and her Wound Threshold is 12).

There is no more enemies in the place except the Necromancer. And with some of them wounded they're relutant to advance without some sort of heal.

In this situation, I agree with them in one point: march to the battle in that shape would be suicidal.

I think the phrase "Welcome to the Wonderful World of Warhammer" comes to mind!

Do you go on to thwart chaos and possibly die or do you run away and comeback later when you're both going to be better prepared? That's always the choice to have in mind.

lpgiehl said:

Another question:

The favour points recharge naturally until reach the Equilibrium. How long does a favour point take to recharge? I looked at the book, but could't find...

In combat one point of Favour per 'round', at the end of the priest's turn. In story mode whatever the GM wants (though generally almost always at equilibrium when needed).

I had the same question you do when I started reading the system and as far as I can tell there is no cost for maintining a blessing.

So after you Invoke a prayer you got to options:

Wait until you recharge enough favour to trigger the invocation

Use the curry favour, eighter as a an action in your next turn or ust the "In Great Need" rule to do it in the same turn.

Not exatcly a rule/balance issue but this feel off, the priest can invocate a very high level invocation then run into the fight and suddenly 3 turns later it goes off.  

After talking to the Priest in my group we came to the conlution that while the invocation is in play the priest is praying to his god (how else would he be able to abort) so as long as an invocation is running the priest must spend 1 maneuver to "pray to his god" if he not calling on him in some other way (curry favoir or using other prayers)

Ghazi said:

Would the Righteous Strength blessing stack with Berserker's Rage support card?  I would assume yes. 

All cards do stack (even the same action cards). Of course, as always, everything is up to the GM.

LoveSkylark said:

After talking to the Priest in my group we came to the conlution that while the invocation is in play the priest is praying to his god (how else would he be able to abort) so as long as an invocation is running the priest must spend 1 maneuver to "pray to his god" if he not calling on him in some other way (curry favoir or using other prayers)

I like this house rule.