Sign in to follow this  
Chaos_Seer

Rank-to-XP Ratio

Hey all,

I'm reading through my book, learning the rules, preparing for my first campaign with this game. As I work through understanding the fundamentals, I find myself a little worried about the mechanics of character-experience and was hoping for some opinions on said mechanics!

It seems to me that a massive amount of XP must be spent before a character even hits the first rank. By the time they've hit the first rank they could have upgraded all their characteristics to their top tiers and learned a significant number of lvl 1 skills - or all the skills with significantly, though incompletely upgraded characteristics.

How do you all feel about the progression? Has it been fine in your campaigns? Are my worries unfounded?

While I've played 40K since pre-DE update 3E, my only experience with this style of RPG is DnD. I'm confident in my story-building skills and knowledge of fluff to create an emmersive world. But I want to be prepared for the rate in which the characters of my campaign advance. Any advice for the aspiring GM on pacing a game? I also have limited GM experience (a couple of short-lived campaigns, mostly so-lived due to social circumstances) so any general advice in conducting this campaign would be great!

Hi,

A rank 1 Space Marine is the equivalent of a 13.000 xp character of which 12.000 xp have already been spent on his advances and skill.
So when you start out with character creation the pc only has 1.000xp to spend to give it some colour.

Santiago is correct. This is to make it comparable with other W40KRP games such as dark heresy. So a starting level space marine with no training counts as being as good as a Dark Heresy Human with maxed out stats and a whole load of skills

Normally we gain somewhere between 1,000 to 2,000 exp per mission, which is enough to keep things going at a steady pace while not over powering the characters any more then normal. Our group sticks with the standard exp given in the book per objective which seems to work for our group. My best advice is to try out several missions with the standard exp awards and go from there.

Aside from what the others have said (that you don't have to worry about them maxing everything out of the gate, that the 12k represents their starting stats) in regards to pacing my group plays once a week or so, and for about 4-5 hours a session.  I've doled out roughly 100xp per hour of gameplay, and things seem to be progressing pretty well.  Not too fast, not too slow.  I've also tried to match up the renown chart with their levels (and to their dismay largely ignore the bonus renown from Oath of Glory) to prevent the whole 'hero renown at rank 4' issue, I'm hoping for them to hit hero level renown at rank 7 or so.

Enemy scaling is actually the part I've had the most trouble with, as enemies tend to do either 1-2 wounds or 10-20, so striking a balance can be a trick.  Also, if your characters aren't as familiar with 40k as you are, be sure to be thorough in your description of the threats they face.  A group of 4 Tyranid Warriors with Deathspitters may sound scary to us, but to people that haven't been in 40k very long they may just think "ok, another enemy to destroy with my uber strength" and then get a load of living ammunition to their pancreas.  Give them lots of xenos lore checks, or let them just know from their past campaigns, what the enemy and threat is. 

Basically: You don't actually get 13,000 xp to spend as the beginning of the game. You get 1000xp. The 13,000 number is meant to provide a kind of guide of how you compare to characters from the other 40k rpg game lines. It theoretically accounts for all your starting rolled up stats, and the various skills, talents and special abilities that Space Marine characters start off with.

Now, it really doesn't help with comparisons with the other game lines, as aside from their massive damage absorbing abilities there is no way a 13,000xp Space Marine would really be near as competent as a 13,000 Dark Heresy (first game in the series) character, which in fact do start off at 0xp (ok 400, but they get to choose how to spend all 400 of that, unlike Space Marines) and buy things a heck of a lot cheaper, and the truth is that just comparing strait xp totals doesn't tell you a great deal in this system in the first place (unlike DnD where the specific level of a character is all important to their abilities). Truthfully they should just have started them off at 1000 (ie,  zero plus the 1000 they get to spend at the start).

As to the previous poster, I have not personally seen any problem with characters reaching Renown ranks too early. Now, I will accept this may just be down to us having very long missions (at least on occasion), but after starting at Rank 2 and at the second level of Renown (cannot remember what it is called), it took forever for us to get to the interesting stuff. We were just a little bit into Rank 5 when we finished, and we had only gone up 1 full level of Renown, just it was into the one which grants all the "leet but not supa-rare" stuff like Storm Shields. This was at 500xp a session on average (as recommended), each session being about 3-4 hours long.

borithan said:

As to the previous poster, I have not personally seen any problem with characters reaching Renown ranks too early. Now, I will accept this may just be down to us having very long missions (at least on occasion), but after starting at Rank 2 and at the second level of Renown (cannot remember what it is called), it took forever for us to get to the interesting stuff. We were just a little bit into Rank 5 when we finished, and we had only gone up 1 full level of Renown, just it was into the one which grants all the "leet but not supa-rare" stuff like Storm Shields. This was at 500xp a session on average (as recommended), each session being about 3-4 hours long.

I don't see this in my game either, though re-reading my post I totally see why someone would read it that way.  My comments were really there because there seems to be a farily good sized portion of the board population that hit rank 4 and carry around Terminator Armor and Iron Halos.  The RAW renown rewards, TBH, feel low to me, so I've tried to give a good amount of renown out permission without going crazy, and am using the comparison between the Renown table and Rank table as a guide.

TEP and Shadow of Madness are probably better guidelines for giving our Renown than RAW. And, as mentioned before, don't forget the tables for Renown gain/loss in RoB.

Alex