Sign in to follow this  
Nitro Pirate

Challenges Phase Question - Responses

Hi all,

Was hoping for some clarification around when to play 'after you win' passives and responses...

For convenience, this is the part of the challenges framework I'm interested in - 

1. Determine winner of challenge

2. Challenge result is implemented

3. Reward for unopposed challenge is awarded

4. Renown is awarded

When exactly can/do I play a card such as Die By The Sword?

And as a bonus question, how far through the framework would a moribund character remain moribund? (I'm expecting this just to be until all save/cancel, passives, responses have been exhausted after point of death, rather than being linked to the window...)

OK, so during step four of the challenge resolution, after the framework action window resolves, passives will trigger, with the first player deciding the order they go off in. During step 5 you will trigger responses. Moribund characters stay around until step 6. So something that was killed for claim will still be around to trigger its response during step 5.

Nitro Pirate said:

Hi all,

Was hoping for some clarification around when to play 'after you win' passives and responses...

For convenience, this is the part of the challenges framework I'm interested in - 

1. Determine winner of challenge

2. Challenge result is implemented

3. Reward for unopposed challenge is awarded

4. Renown is awarded

When exactly can/do I play a card such as Die By The Sword?

And as a bonus question, how far through the framework would a moribund character remain moribund? (I'm expecting this just to be until all save/cancel, passives, responses have been exhausted after point of death, rather than being linked to the window...)

I think it would be more clear to you if you start thinking of those steps you listed above as substeps of step 1 of the fw action window.

It is really more like this (and I apologize if this confuses you more):

A1 Determine Winner -> A2 Save Cancel -> A3 Resolve

B1 Challenge Result Implemented (AKA Claim) -> B2 Save Cancel -> B3 Resolve

C1 Unopposed Power -> C2 Save Cancel -> C3 Resolve

D1 Renown -> D2 Save Cancel -> D3 Resolve

--

4. Passives -> Save Cancel -> Resolve

--

5. Responses (responses only to 1a-d above) -> Save Cancel -> Resolve

--

The point here is that you cannot Respond to ANY part of resolving the challenge (determining the winner, implementing challenge results, awarding unopposed, and awarding Renown) until ALL of those parts have been completed. So you cannot use an "after you win/lose a challenge" Response before settling claim or awarding Renown.

This is the same for all Framework Action windows with multiple framework events. For example, you cannot Respond to revealing plots or winning initiative before the First Player is chosen in the Plot phase (where the framework sequence is: all players reveal plots, determine initiative, winner of initiative selects first player, 'when revealed' plots are resolved first during passives). You also can't Respond to bypassing a character with Stealth before defenders are declared. That sort of thing.

As for the "bonus question," the moribund state is indeed tied to the action window. Passives and Responses are considered to be part of the action (player or framework), so staying moribund through all passive and Response effects is the same as saying the card stays moribund while you are dealing with that action - and that action alone.