Sign in to follow this  
htsmithium

would like some help please

im getting ready to run a little one off based on the movie predator  and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with the stats for the preds. i thinking of having a group of 3 that are able to handle a group of 5 PCs ( will only be their 4th or 5th sesion so the players are not too high)

some things i do know tthe preds will have: plasma guns with red dot sights , wrist mounted power blades, and some way to make themselves invisable. probaly will use the kroot camo skin? from into the storm. or mabey whatever tau use on thier stealth suits.

any help will be welcome.

Well part of me wants to go creepin through the jungle but then again.....I saw how that turned out for the other guy. LOL

Something to consider:

are ALL your players CSM's in power armor or better????

do you plan on having all three of these predator things run into the group at once???

is there a midc in the group whos REALLY good at keeping ppl alive??

something else I would be careful as to going to close to what the preds were like in the movies, seems if they are too beastly then you might wind up slaying your players in a round or two of combat. power blades might be a way to go since thats not so bad, the plasma guns, I would only use those on single shot since there was none (if any, i cant remember) burst shots or full auto spurts from the shoulder mounted cannon they had.

for a template: try the kroot from Rogue Trader as a template. but to be fair for your players, consider possibly lowering the diff to spot the "pred" if hes cloaked and has fired as CSM's would be able to pick up the heat signature of the blast. or at least the residual from anything close by the barrel. so mebbe a -20 at that point ???

Mort or anyone else got any ideers?

@Adept Orcadius thanks for the advice.

Accually all of my players are human, i might do the glowing yellow eye trick seen in the first movie to help the players out. defently go with single shot plasma( probly pistol stats) and at best, flak armor since besides thier helmets they seemed to be wearing leather.

was going to go with only one pred, but seeing as how my renigade has a jump pack and a krak missle armed missile launcher did not want to run into the lucky insto-kill issue.

as for medics, both teck priest have medic and appropriate inplants, and thier is an apostate taken from an old DH game where she was a sister hospiitaler, so she is at +10 to heal checks.

htsmithium said:

@Adept Orcadius thanks for the advice.

was going to go with only one pred, but seeing as how my renigade has a jump pack and a krak missle armed missile launcher did not want to run into the lucky insto-kill issue.

a missle launcher wielding jump pack renegade???? 0.o? 

whats he got other n that fer armaments since a ML is a heavy weapon(?) and well......if someone in my group tried to wing shoot a heavy wep, in addition to the neg modifiers for not bracing and aiming Id imagine something nasty up like.....the recoil has bucked the barrel partially towards the group.....everyone infront of bob take a dodge and/or armor check.....something creative like that.

I think the limiting on the armor will help keep youre players alive...what sort of toughness bonus were you thinking??? and you could always do the thing where the pred isnt as stealthy while moving, so it could only get a -10 for anyone trying to spot it since ther was a distortion to wherever it was standing.

goodluck man, and Id like to see what having 2 hereteks would be like in my group....probably wind up with something along the lines of rockem-sockem robots....LOL

About Predators, arment and numbers.

First I would like to discourage a complete adaption of the Predators from said movie. In general, adventures do not work the way movies do because PC do not act like your actual movie fodder. If you have watched Predators (the latest installment) I would suggest to go that way.

@The Blur-Effect
A field making an effect similiar to a cameoline-cloak comes to mind. I would suggest to improve the bonus to +30 if standing still & +10 if moving.

@The Armour
The leathers could have been xeno hides, giving a good AP. Otherwise, go for unnatural toughness (+3 should be alright) and lots of Wounds (30).  And this would still make them short work if your PC have the higher numbers

@Numbers
Really-really think about having more then just three of them.

If you really want to have some fun with your players, use Ork Kommandoes (from RT's Into the Storm) for the Preds. The Ded Sneaky Trait is especially entertaining and the Orks' natural ability to soak up damage in light armour may upset the players when they don't know what they're really up against.

Anything could be used as Looted gear, making the mix of hi-tech and thuggery entirely in keeping with the setting.

Adept Orcadius said:

a missle launcher wielding jump pack renegade???? 0.o? 

whats he got other n that fer armaments since a ML is a heavy weapon(?) and well......if someone in my group tried to wing shoot a heavy wep, in addition to the neg modifiers for not bracing and aiming Id imagine something nasty up like.....the recoil has bucked the barrel partially towards the group.....everyone infront of bob take a dodge and/or armor check.....something creative like that.

I think the limiting on the armor will help keep youre players alive...what sort of toughness bonus were you thinking??? and you could always do the thing where the pred isnt as stealthy while moving, so it could only get a -10 for anyone trying to spot it since ther was a distortion to wherever it was standing.

goodluck man, and Id like to see what having 2 hereteks would be like in my group....probably wind up with something along the lines of rockem-sockem robots....LOL

Why? Presuming it's within his carry limit and he has bulging bicep to negate the bracing penalty, is it any more improbable than a 200+kg brute in 200+kg armor wielding two +10 kg giant fists while jumping around? Or said brute firing off expert marskmanship pistol shots mid-air? No, if he's got the skills, let the guy rocket jump while rocket jumping! If nothing else, he's being more creative than the lightning claw raptor crowd! Plus, it's got a theme to it... ROKKITZ!

@Gregorius21778: Agree with this. Not to mention, having your players realize they're facing straight from the film predators might very well ruin the mood of panic, terror and the feeling of being hunted quite a bit. Cross-Franchise crossovers require either immense care or wanton disregard. The first is hard to achieve and the second seems quite counter to the mood you're aiming for.

So as some people have mentioned, consider either making up your own Xeno species with traits beyond those of the Predators, or adopt an already existing species. Kroots on the proper diet can be truly terrifying. They got stealth, strength and thanks to their mercenary nature and habits, a very wide armory that can include everything from Tau sniper rifles to Harlequin holofields to Dark Eldar splinter rifles to Yu'vath crystal weaponry to even stranger, more bizarre and far more unpredictable tools.

For true terror, make them a Kindred with unsavory dietary habits, like Tyranids. Bigger, stronger, scarier and completely single-minded. If you want to be real bastard, give them the "Body Collector" trait from the Dagon Overlord of Mark of the Xeno. Now they don't need to wait a generation for their traits to appear. It's straight up "are what you eat" for these freaks. 'Course, they'd be shunned by every other Kindred. But that just gives you even more an excuse to make these fuckers even more cruel, angry and mean!

Ork Kommandoes are also good idea. Orkz can be truly scary, especially when they break the mold.

However, the biggest advice: keep whatever you go with in the dark. Resist the urge to show them directly for as long as possible. Footprints, left behind corpses, shadows in the corner of the eye, strange noises, cruel traps etc help build the mood and heightens anticipation. More importantly, however, if you make these signs non-obvious enough, No big sign in Ork sayin' "We be huntingz U Humiez!" for example, your players uncertainty will paint a far scarier picture than any reveal ever will.

Reverend mort said:

Why? Presuming it's within his carry limit and he has bulging bicep to negate the bracing penalty, is it any more improbable than a 200+kg brute in 200+kg armor wielding two +10 kg giant fists while jumping around? Or said brute firing off expert marskmanship pistol shots mid-air? No, if he's got the skills, let the guy rocket jump while rocket jumping! If nothing else, he's being more creative than the lightning claw raptor crowd! Plus, it's got a theme to it... ROKKITZ!

Very true good sir, carrying limit is totally and easily calculated. course power armor with a black carapace does amazing things for said brutes.

and yea my hats off for the creative mixings of the heavy gunner with the fast mover of a jump pack. I was simply pointing out that firing the thing should have some sort of negative outcome (to some degree) if the fellow was trying to fire a heavy weapon from mid air is all.   now if hes doing the jump-fly-land shoot the tank, then jump-fly away tactics bravo!!!! oh yea...an if you paint dem rokkits red deys go fasta's ta get da Umies'!!  >.<

Adept Orcadius said:

oh yea...an if you paint dem rokkits red deys go fasta's ta get da Umies'!!  >.<

See, the awesome thing about Orkz is that that's actually a factor. Probably an extra -10 to Dodge for the added speed of the Rokkit. :o

well thanks for the advice everyone...i used twoof them and almost wiped the party...but it did leave them stranded on a jungle planet with no way out ( que evil laughing) well i have a idea but they may not like it.

Little late, seeing as you've already run the encounter, but...

Blur Shields are spiffy for the camo effect as well as the Nightshroud (am I remembering that right?) Armor mod from Hostile Acquisitions.

I really want to run an Aliens themed game with a bunch of Ork Kommandos as the baddies now. "they mostly come out at night, mostly..."

Why would you paint the rocket red? Every ork knows that red 'uns go fastah, yellow makes a bigger boom and blue is for luck! True story.

If you're going with predators I'd say, like the others, that you should probably try to make a warhammer race fit the needed scenario if possible. Also, try to build up the tension, send them out on another job, find your contact and his friends slaughtered. Walk into a few traps etc. And whatever you do do NOT describe the predator as, well, a predator. It kills the suspense.

You might also want to incorporate the spear gun, maybe with a special rule that pins the target in place. And disc thingie.