Sign in to follow this  
aristodeimos

Librarian starting equipment

Page 28 of the Core Rulebook states Librarians start with a Force Weapon.  However, Table 5-8 on page 154 shows all force weapons as requiring "Respected" Renown.  Seems weird to list an item in starting equipment that a new character can't use.

Possibly, however the rules usually include an asterisk next to the item when this is the case.  For example, there is a note on the Astartes Bolt Pistol (Table 5-5, page 145) that states, "† For additional weapons beyond standard issue".  This note is not included with the force weapon entries.

On the other hand, the rules on page 28 state, "In addition to his power armour, a Battle-Brother always has access to the essentials of his Speciality without the need to Requisition them."  So I guess if you don't have to requisition the item, the Renown equivalent doesn't restrict you.

Yes, but there's nothing saying that you can't requisition 2 bolters or 2 inferno pistols or 2 anything so long as you have the Req and Renown to pay for it.

And recall, literally every Astartes starts with a bolt pistol and combat knife and 3 frag and krak grenades. Every single specialty. Not everyone starts with a bolter or a chainsword or a fire selector, etc.; some specialties do, but none of those items is marked in the tables with asterisks because not everyone will have one for free - an AM will have a free chainsword, and nobody else will, for example. The only things marked with the asterisk are Chapter trappings (which usually fall completely outside the Req system) or everyone-gets-one-anyway gear - the bolt pistol and combat knife and basic grenades.

Also it makes literally no sense for a chargen character who is supposedly issued specific standard-issue gear to not have any access to that gear for like 3-ish missions (until his Renown gets to 20).

aristodeimos said:

On the other hand, the rules on page 28 state, "In addition to his power armour, a Battle-Brother always has access to the essentials of his Speciality without the need to Requisition them."  So I guess if you don't have to requisition the item, the Renown equivalent doesn't restrict you.

Good catch. There's also a Deed in Rites of Battle that lets a Tacmarine take, at chargen, one of a handful of weapons that require Respected Renown. I imagine it works similarly since, as a Tacmarine-only Deed, the benefits derived from it are technically part of his "Specialty essentials."

The core rulebook also states that each starting character gains skills regardless of prerequisits. and this is the same for starting gear. So the first forceweapon ( not that this is a sword not a staff as staffs are referred to as force staffs ) is indeed free for your starting librarian.

I don't understand the debate. Renown impacts what you can requisition. Starting equipment is being assigned outside of requisition rules therefore renown does not apply. And Signature Wargear does explicitly state that renown applies.

Alex

ak-73 said:

I don't understand the debate. Renown impacts what you can requisition. Starting equipment is being assigned outside of requisition rules therefore renown does not apply. And Signature Wargear does explicitly state that renown applies.

Alex

It's the same with any equipment you're assigned - even if you've only got Initiate renown, a Watch Captain can still see your team issued with a Meltagun or Lascannon if the mission requires it.

Nogard said:

So the first forceweapon ( not that this is a sword not a staff as staffs are referred to as force staffs ) is indeed free for your starting librarian.

Cite? I can't find any evidence for this assertion. And to me that's a pretty silly word interpretation. A force staff is a force weapon that is in staff form. A force sword is a force weapon that is in sword form. Etc.

And all the force weapons are under both table subheadings and text headings using the general term "force weapons." I have no idea where you got the notion that a Librarian can't start with a force staff.

Page 28 states 'a battle brother always has access to the essentials of his specialty without the need to requisition them'. And then it goes on to list the equipment each specialty starts with.

The listed equipment for a Librarian includes: "Astartes Bolter with fire selector, force weapon".

Thus, any starting Librarian starts with a Force weapon, which according to pages 155-156, includes either a Force Staff or Force Sword. I suppose the theory being that a psychic-power-throwing Librarian would prefer to use the Invocation bonus from the staff, whereas the psychic-powers-that-augment-my-melee-abilities Librarian would prefer the Force Sword. Not to be confused with Nemesis force weapons from DH: Grey Knights, or the Naduesh Force weapons from RT: Into the Storm (Force Axe, Force Sword, Force Staff).

AND THEN...

The Librarian is compelled to remain with their chosen force weapon until they reach the necessary Requisition to acquire the other one.

My $.02

OP

Orion Pax said:

I suppose the theory being that a psychic-power-throwing Librarian would prefer to use the Invocation bonus from the staff, whereas the psychic-powers-that-augment-my-melee-abilities Librarian would prefer the Force Sword.

I dunno about that. I don't find Invocation to be useful at all in combat. It takes too much time for an ultimately weak benefit. Might be worth it for noncombat psykering, but for combat it's throwing away actions for nothing. I'd certainly not devote a signature item to Invocation when I could have a Balanced 1-handed melee weapon instead.

snikibastard said:

So how is it? Does the Librarian have the force weapon or not ? Maybe someone from FFG would kindly reply ?

Every librarian has a force weapon as starting equipment, The flavour of force weapon is his choice. In 40K TT every librarian has a force weapon too. Renown only applies to requisitioned equipment. Not to starting gear (or pretty much anything else).

Alex