Sign in to follow this  
BARF

N00B Question: 2nd Core Set vs Greyjoy/Martell Expansions

Hey all.

Like many people who have posted: I got GoT:LCG for Christmas. Really digging it so far but we are mad collectors and want more cards. I read that people suggest purchasing a second Core Set but I have also read that the Martell or Greyjoy sets are also a worthwhile second purchase. I am sure we will get everything eventually but what would the pros suggest getting first if cost is an issue? We are N00Bs looking at getting more into the game and eventually tourneys/play parties.

Happy to be part of the community!

Thanks!

I would probably get a second core set first. That way you can start building some decent decks and still only have four houses to focus on for the moment. You probably want to pick one, or maybe two, house(s) to play. Then learn the game and learn to play that house. After you have a pretty good understanding of the game, then you can branch out to the other houses and then start getting the house expansions.

If you aren't going to have more than four people go with a second core set. If you may occasionally have a fifth or sixth person I'd go with the Martell or Greyjoy expansions.

Thanks guys!

Another question....

How even are the Core Sets divided initially? Friends and I were considering mixing the non house specific Event cards and then dealing them out at the top of the game to mix it up. Same with Event cards and non-house specific character cards. What are your thoughts on this?

BARF said:

Thanks guys!

Another question....

How even are the Core Sets divided initially? Friends and I were considering mixing the non house specific Event cards and then dealing them out at the top of the game to mix it up. Same with Event cards and non-house specific character cards. What are your thoughts on this?

The non-house specific event cards, and even the neutral cards (characters and locations) have been carefully chosen for the pre-constructed core decks to prove some balance and variety. This does mean that they work best within their intended houses if you're playing from the core set pool only... however, this goes completely out of the window when you're making decks from scratch. The best example of this is the plots, which are with a certain house in core for a reason, but when you make your own decks you'll find some are much more useful than others depending on the build you go for, rather than the House.