Sign in to follow this  
Beren Eoath

What the future brings?

It looks like Hero's Call will be soon avaliable - can't wait.

So it's time for speculations what will be next.

I hope to see a wood elf or high elf expansion the same type Black Fire Pass was for dwarfs.

And after this a some good expansions about the whole Empire, great cities and provinces with a lot of fluff in it.

In this game we are missing a lot of good stuff that, as I heared, was in the prevoius.

I'm playing this game and I'm not interested in buying the previous to get some discriptions of the Empire and other countires like Breton, Border Princes or Kislev. I wat it in this edition.

And if this stuff will not come then I want a new edition of the game that will have it!

I can't see a high elf expansion until they are ready to show rules for High Magic, which is beyond the scope of the RPG, imo.

Wood elves works, but are we talking about the ones living in the Empire still or Athel Loren (sp?) who shoot you for walking into their woods?

I'd rather see halflings and more regions of the Empire, as well as travelling.

I would really like more campaigns, more more more. Sadly I don't have enough free time to prepare my own adventures, nothing to say campaigns...

Regarding extra supplements I also think that one of  Elves would be nice. I think you can prepare a supplement of elves without High Magic, just say it is out of the scope of PC's and focus on culture and social /combat oriented careers background etc.

I'm thinking we will begin to see the formation of the "Grand Campaign" of this edition.  They will likley be following the story arch of the Storm of Chaos, which ran on the tabletop games a few years back (5 years?).  Im thinking this because they specifically chose to place the RPG setting in the 'past', before Archaeon led his armies down south to F-up Talabheim.  All the special characters that have been introduced to date center around this conflict.

I'm guessing we as players and GMs will be reliving the buildup and culmination of the Storm of Chaos through a series of increasingly high level adventures over the course of the year. 

Just a thought.

Gitz

I'm going for Elves as well.
Wood Elves in the Empire, with a good chapter about Ulthuan & Athel Loren.

Once Elves are covered, I'm all for Gitzman's idea of the big campaign to tie the whole edition together.

If we are pinning our bets to what we thing the next supplement to be released is:

I'd guessing High Elves coupled with a tad of Dark Elves.  Im guessing it will be in similar format to the Dwarven supplement, mainly concentrating on High Elf Culture, with a High Elf adventure dealing with Dark Elves. 

Wood Elves i think will take a back burner for quite some time still.

Gitz

That Hero's Call is about to release and we have no idea about what comes after makes me nervous that HC is going to be a swan song for WHRP3. I really hope I am wrong about that, though! I have no interest in a new edition when there is still so much ground for this one to cover.

I also would love to see a supplement about the various sorts of Elves that inhabit the Warhammer world. There is no reason that rules for High Magic could not be included. High Magic has existed as a playable option in Warhammer Fantasy battle for a long time now without overwhelming the other types of magic, and there is no reason the RPG couldn't make the same thing happen.

After Heroes Call, my guess is that they will concentrate on getting a proper campaign out. That will probably take up much of the rest of the release schedule for this year, unless they are planning on releasing it, much too slowly. I am hoping that they will expand on the power struggle in Ubersreik as outlined in Lure Of Power. That looks fascinating!

More than anything, even more than an Elf supplement or an epic campaign or anything else, I'd like to see an outline of a 2012 release schedule. I don't even care if there are exact release dates or anything like that. Just some hints of what they are working on for the coming year, after Hero's Call is out. Even some teaser images with "sometime in the 2nd or 3rd quarter 2012" is enough to chew on for now.

Dionysos said:

More than anything, even more than an Elf supplement or an epic campaign or anything else, I'd like to see an outline of a 2012 release schedule. I don't even care if there are exact release dates or anything like that. Just some hints of what they are working on for the coming year, after Hero's Call is out. Even some teaser images with "sometime in the 2nd or 3rd quarter 2012" is enough to chew on for now.

Yes im with you.i would like to know at least 2 or 3 supplements in advance would be nice

Dionysos said:

Yes!! Totally and absolutely: Yes! Who cares about release dates. They are erratic anyway, I mean, most of the time I have to wait for new products even after they are released because they arrive at a later date in Europe. I don't want to know when things are published, I only want to know what will be published!

ragnar63 said:

After Heroes Call, my guess is that they will concentrate on getting a proper campaign out. That will probably take up much of the rest of the release schedule for this year, unless they are planning on releasing it, much too slowly. I am hoping that they will expand on the power struggle in Ubersreik as outlined in Lure Of Power. That looks fascinating!

The problem with a campaign is that normally only 1 person in the group buys it (the GM), I'm not sure they'd want their enitre release schedule for a year to only be bought by 1 person in each group. Having siad that most of the expansions so far are probably only being bought by the GM in each group anyway?

It would be interestig to know if players have bought the signs of faith expansion for example, because they are playing a priest, or if the majority of buys in the group have been by the GM (dice, player's guide etc being theobvious exception).

The other problem with a campaign is that not every GM buys it, as they are playing homebrews, or it doesn't fit in with where they are with the current published adventures etc, so I think FFG dedicating resource to a campaign could be a big risk.

Having said that, I guess a campaign that really becomes lengendary could help increase the sales of WFRP generally, but I still think it is a big risk.

I think FFG have more or less get it right so far in that in each adventure that they release, a major new adversary type or PC/NPC is provided, along with action cards so that even if the adventure itself isn't of total value to the playing group, the stuff that comes in the box is.

Personally, I think they'll continue in that vein for future products.

I would love to read more about Ulthuan and the Dark elf lands in the far west, but there is a problem with that release, because what I have learned is that Ulthuan is closed for everyone except High Elves... So if you are a Reiklander you are probably not permitted and your ship will probably sink a LONG way from Ulthuan. So I hope they dont make a big release with that in mind because I dont want to tell my players to make new characters because we have a new release we have to test... The answer will surely be: NO

But I would love to have Ulthuan as a book because I love this world and would like to read as much as there is about it corazon.gif

So in my opinion if they are releasing any elf material at all, it should be about elves in the Old world as because I think this is the place where most of us spends our playtime. Right?

But It would be awesome to have a whole group of High elf characters adventuring on Ulthuan happy.gif, but if I gotta pick i rather go with Old world elves or rather a long campaign with a "war" between The Empire and Bretonnia. I would love to have the time and imagination to do a whole 3 book campaign about the buildup to war - trying to find the culprit behind - and then stopping it before its to late. It would be many playnights with alot of "power behind the throne" feelings. And for once it doesnt have to be chaos that is behind, It could be another country or a High ranking Noble who wants the country/throne for himself :)

Sorry! Im ranting once again lengua.gif

As a GM and a potentialy buyer this is what I would love to see:

A dungeon crawl set with lots of traps, nasty monsters and gloomy locations. It could be like a  undead thomb scenario or a lost Karak!

A big city expansion with a focus on how to do city questing and on a specik city like Marienburg, Altdorf or Nuln.

An elf expansion Highelf vs Darkelf (maybe including woodelfs as well).

A wicked expansion. How to play bad guy ( a little like Black Crusade)

pumpkin said:

ragnar63 said:

The problem with a campaign is that normally only 1 person in the group buys it (the GM), I'm not sure they'd want their enitre release schedule for a year to only be bought by 1 person in each group. Having siad that most of the expansions so far are probably only being bought by the GM in each group anyway?

It would be interestig to know if players have bought the signs of faith expansion for example, because they are playing a priest, or if the majority of buys in the group have been by the GM (dice, player's guide etc being theobvious exception).

The other problem with a campaign is that not every GM buys it, as they are playing homebrews, or it doesn't fit in with where they are with the current published adventures etc, so I think FFG dedicating resource to a campaign could be a big risk.

Having said that, I guess a campaign that really becomes lengendary could help increase the sales of WFRP generally, but I still think it is a big risk.

I think FFG have more or less get it right so far in that in each adventure that they release, a major new adversary type or PC/NPC is provided, along with action cards so that even if the adventure itself isn't of total value to the playing group, the stuff that comes in the box is.

The great campaigns and adventure material is what MADE Warhammer. Without it, it would just have been another RPG. The great campaigns and adventures of the past are what made warhammer epic. If FFG fail to recognize that, they'll miss out on a lot of future sales.

TEW alone made warhammer epic. That's what people really talk about. That fantastic campaign they played over a year. Not the system.

Gallows said:

pumpkin said:

ragnar63 said:

The great campaigns and adventure material is what MADE Warhammer. Without it, it would just have been another RPG. The great campaigns and adventures of the past are what made warhammer epic. If FFG fail to recognize that, they'll miss out on a lot of future sales.

TEW alone made warhammer epic. That's what people really talk about. That fantastic campaign they played over a year. Not the system.

Yes. Without TEW, Warhammer would have been stayed a miniatures game. This campaign is one of the pinnacles of roleplaying culture.

I do foresee an elf supplement but it seems too broad in scope to pull off properly given that there are two main elf races and then one antagonist race. Previous supplements have followed a particular pattern: background info on a certain aspect of Warhammer (war, dwarfs, magic, etc...), some player options, and then an adventure. I'd expect an elf supplement to follow the same format. Furthermore the dwarf supplement described a specific region that was tied closely to both dwarfs and the Empire as well as briefly detailing a specific dwarf stronghold that boarders on the Empire. Are there any places like that which are appropriate for an elf supplement? A wood elf supplement could describe the Laurelorn Forest or possibly Axe Bite Pass with info on Athel Loren and a smattering of Bretonnia...getting to broad in scope? Course this is just wood elves. I suppose there are many ancient high elf ruins in the empire they could focus on, but I don't know of any one that has the prominence to pull it all together such as Black Fire Pass did with the dwarfs. If they wanted to go farther afield they could leave the empire all together and go for a high elf expansion focused on the Shadowlands to tie in the dark elves. This might seem too niche but to my mind something entirely new is needed to set this edition apart. To be sure it is already unique based on its system, but a few new setting expansions that go where no other Warhammer game has gone would reward direhard fans and offer some incentive for players of the older editions to rethink 3rd. Other ideas might be Lustria (eluded to in Winds of Magic), the Badlands, or the Dark Lands.

i see your point Amani and I may have an answer to your question about Highelfs!

In the 1th eddition book "Sold down the river" (Awesome book IMO) we are intruduced to Marienburg and I believe that cannon descripes this city as having a large elf district. I know that the warhammer world has changed some since 1th eddition but using Marienburg like the Black Fire Pass could be a good way to introduce this pointy hat elfs.

When it comes to the Woodelf I hope they focus on a rural setting in general. A Brettonia book would be nice but so would a Kislev, Border Prince, Norsca and a Tilean be! Lustria is maybe far fetch but the Badlands and the Dark lands would be perfect lands to travel to!, so you have my vote! 

I'm perfectly sure that the next expansion will be about elves. There are the ony race that does not have any expansion yet.

So first should be Wood Elves in an expansion  just like BFP. So we could see Athel Loren and some Bretonia stuff.

Then there could be and expansion about Ulthuan with High Elves and Dark Elves. So we would get some great stuff with new careers and more DE enemies to trouble PCs.

Of coure some good stuff about other countries than Empire would be great thing to see - Bretonia, Kislev should be the first ones becouse those are the allies of Empire in time of war (especialy Kislev).

That could be the line up for this year.