Sign in to follow this  
Delenvor

A problem with the "Alien Statue" card.

Hi everyone,

We have a doubt about the Alien Statue card, of the Season of the Witch expansion. Can you play that card when you have no any skill counter? I mean.. it says: "Instead of spending a skill point on an attribute test, you may take 1 Mark of the Witch to add 3 to the required attribute", if you don't have any skill counter, I understand you can't "choose" to take 1 Mark of the Witch instead spend a skill point, right?

We have been one and half hour discussing this issue but we didn't agree on anything.. 

Thank you.

Delenvor said:

Hi everyone,

We have a doubt about the Alien Statue card, of the Season of the Witch expansion. Can you play that card when you have no any skill counter? I mean.. it says: "Instead of spending a skill point on an attribute test, you may take 1 Mark of the Witch to add 3 to the required attribute", if you don't have any skill counter, I understand you can't "choose" to take 1 Mark of the Witch instead spend a skill point, right?

We have been one and half hour discussing this issue but we didn't agree on anything.. 

Thank you.

I would play it the way you are.  It would seem that you have to have a skill point to use the other ability.  It says "instead of spending a skill point..." - that implies that you have a skill point to spend in order to chose not to spend it.

TyrionXavier said:

I would play it the way you are.  It would seem that you have to have a skill point to use the other ability.  It says "instead of spending a skill point..." - that implies that you have a skill point to spend in order to chose not to spend it.
Or that implies that this action is similliar to spending a skillpoint, but which requires mark of the witch instead of skill point. Spending skill points requires skill points, using Alien Statue requires marks of the witch. It would be stupid if one item required 2 diffirent resources to work. Your judgement of this item work is stupid.

I agree with TyrionXavier. I think you can't use that ability because you don't have a skill point. Its similar to: "Instead of use 1 movement, you heal 1 stamina" (its an example). You cant use this effect if you can't move.. or if it's your third action and you can't do anything else, you can't use it. I don't know, I see it so...

On second thought, turns out I agree with the guy who called me stupid.  Although it would be nice if, in the future, he would refrain from insulting other posters.

I would play the card as if it was worded like this:

"Take 1 Mark of the Witch to add 3 to the required attribute on any attribute test.   You may not spend skill points on the same attribute test."

TyrionXavier said:

Although it would be nice if, in the future, he would refrain from insulting other posters.

I almost replied to this insult but decided I should not. I am glad you did.