Sign in to follow this  
Lightbringer

Hostile Acquisitions - any updates?

I'm really looking forward to this book, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it! Its been trailed since mid August, yet here we are in December and it's still not available. Is anyone from FFG able to give an indication as to when it might be released? Before Christmas? In 2011? Spring 2012?

Uncle Screwtape said:

I looked on amazon and they had it listed as Dec/27/2011. Not sure if that's accurate or not... but it's encouraging!

To be honest, I don't trust Amazon's release dates for FFG stuff, they tend not to be terribly accurate... FFG seem to prioritise getting their product out to FLGS over Amazon, meaning that while Amazon's FFG stuff is often cheaper, it comes out weeks later.

(Love the name, by the way, Uncle Screwtape, I'm a big fan of the Screwtape letters! happy.gif

I expect it to be released next week, or the week after the latest. Most probably next week though.

The Haarlock Trilogy book for Dark Heresy (which was announced roughly the same time, as HA) was "on the boat" in the upcoming section on Friday, and then suddenly it went "in stores now". 

Just checked and Maelstrom Games has a release date of 17 December for Hostile Acquisitions.

Just picked it up when I was out and about tonight, though I haven't had much time to really read it. Little mini review without any real information.

So far I'd say it's an interesting read, with a bit of information on various questions some may have about where Rogue Traders fall in regards to the various levels of law in the Imperium. Appropriately enough the Calixis sector gets a good share of the space in this book since it's the closest fully imperial province in the core RT setting. Though of course various areas of the Koronus Expanse get a few things, and again I haven't had time to do more than browse it.

Mostly I just looked through the weapons and gear to see if certain xenos weapons had been added so I could have official stats. So far it's had everything I've been waiting on, except for necron weapons. However since most of those toys are not available at the time that these games are set I wasn't to dissapointed and imagine I'll see them in a DW or BC book sometime next year.

Oh and some of the new alternate careers can be used by Kroot and Orks. Ork Swashbucklers anyone? ^_^

I too just picked it up today (okay, technically yesterday). I haven't had a whole lot of time to look through it, but the thing that caught my eye the most was the section on creating a nemesis. Part of a good story is having a compelling bad guy, and this expansion helps you create a memorable one. It is also probably the most useful section for any campaign. Players may decide not to pursue a criminal path, but having a cunning villain makes the game much more fun.

If the players do decide to pursue a criminal endeavor, the book details how to set up a heist of epic proportions such as seen in Ocean's Eleven, or even Red Seas Under Red Skies (Sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora). Also, it shows possible consequences for their actions, which I love.

The artwork in the book, like the others from what I've seen, is really cool too. I especially like the depictions of the Arch-Heretek and Commodore Teodor Naremmus. Also, the image on page 89 will probably make you do a double take.

I picked this book up because I am GMing a campaign in January. I happen to know most of the players involved, as we played Dark Heresy under a different GM. His game frequently bordered on the heretical, and certainly strayed from cannon in all kinds of silly ways, so I think that some of the things mentioned in this book might be right up their alley.

Anyway, I picked this book up on an impulse buy after flipping through it, which is something that I have not done with any of the other expansions. There must be something in this book that calls to me. I am quite excited to read it in its entirety. However, it's now 3AM, and I really should go to bed.

Got it today, thumbed through it, it's the Scum book DH needed with Book of Judgement.  Long list of crimes and punishments and covers Scintilla area pretty heavily.  Haven't even read a quarter of it yet.

It does give several ship upgrades, no new hull types though.  Just about every upgrade has a cost, they make you faster or sneakier but tend to give a penalty after you use them.  Lot of ways to get through the warp without a navigator, all of them very risky.