Sign in to follow this  
Bilgaedrin

Plague Monk Question

Hi guys!

1 quick question.

Can Plague Monk's ability be triggered if a spell just played was canceled?

Step 1: Player with a plague monk plays some spell (paying all costs and having legal targets)

Step 2: Spell gets canceled by HE Disdain

so can a player with a Plague Monk still use its ability?

I had a question along the same line. I play Chillwind on Grimgor and my opponent responds with D'ez Bigger.  Unlike other cards (Iron Discipline and High Elf Disdain) D'ez Bigger doesn't cancel the action so does Chillwind trigger Plague Monks?

Budmilka_fr said:

No, because HE disdain (as well as any cancel) cancels tactics "just played". Plague Monk requires that the Spell must be played, and a cancelled tactic is not played, so it cannot mill ^^.

I don't think this is correct.  As soon as a spell is played, it would trigger the Plague Monk's ability.  The ability doesn't require the Spell to resolve, which is all that HE Disdain prevents.  Example:

• Play a spell. This triggers Plague Monks ability, which you wait to put on the chain as soon as you can.
  • Opponent responds with HE Disdain.
  • You respond by putting the ability on the chain.
  • Both players pass.
  • Resolve Plague Monks ability.
  • Resolve HE Disdain.
  • Don't resolve original Spell, since it was cancelled.

The opponent could also pass and wait to put HE Disdain on the Chain until after the Monk's ability is on.  That wouldn't affect the outcome.

Dey'z Bigga is doubly unsuccessful at stopping Plague Monk.

Action: Each unit with the highest printed cost cannot be targeted by card effects until the end of the turn.

This will prevent the Grimgor from being corrupted (when Chillwind checks targets), but by then the Plague Monk has already triggered.  Also, Chillwind still resolves and uncorrupts the other target unit.

wouldnt u trigger he disdain b4 plague monk since its l8er in the chain removing the original tactic then when plague monk check to see if a spells activatin it no longer is so plague monks ability fizzles out

loken14 said:

wouldnt u trigger he disdain b4 plague monk since its l8er in the chain removing the original tactic then when plague monk check to see if a spells activatin it no longer is so plague monks ability fizzles out

After you have triggered Plague Monk you do not have to check anything else, you have already checked its triggering condition when you triggered it. You do not have to check it again during resolution. The only thing you have to check during action resolution is your target requirement when you have target.

PS : I know that I am not a good english writter, but can you please avoid, "sms like" style for a better comprehension.

Shindulus said:

PS : ... can you please avoid, "sms like" style for a better comprehension.

Yes, please.  Your last 2 posts were extremely hard to read due to missing letters, words and punctuation.

but i thought you had to check both when you activated the cards and before they resolved for if the prequesite card was in place and if the target was valid.  Thats wat the faq says for deathmaster sknitch thats what i was trying to go by.  and sorry for my spelling guys ill try and stop that on the forums

loken14 said:

but i thought you had to check both when you activated the cards and before they resolved for if the prequesite card was in place and if the target was valid.  Thats wat the faq says for deathmaster sknitch thats what i was trying to go by.  and sorry for my spelling guys ill try and stop that on the forums

What you have to check is the "targeting conditions" as said in the example for sniktch. You do not have to check anything else.

When your action have a target, you must check targets conditions when you play it and when you resolve it, but you don't have to check anything else.

In the case of Plague Monk there is no targeting conditions. (the action of plague does not require any target)