Sign in to follow this  
firestorm3

Thrice-bound Daemonhost - managable?

For the climax of the investigation I'm running, I intend the Acolytes to end up fighting a daemonically influenced human. I want it to be a tough fight, hopefully making the Acolytes sweat and burn Fate Points, but ultimately, they should be the ones still standing at the end of it. I have 7 level 2 Acolytes right now - a Redemptionist cleric, an Arbites, a Guardsman, a Moritat Assassin, a Scum, and two Psykers, all somewhat armoured and armed with at least an autopistol. So far, I'm thinking about setting the enemy as a Thrice-Bound daemonhost - how managable is that for the PCs?

firestorm said:

For the climax of the investigation I'm running, I intend the Acolytes to end up fighting a daemonically influenced human. I want it to be a tough fight, hopefully making the Acolytes sweat and burn Fate Points, but ultimately, they should be the ones still standing at the end of it. I have 7 level 2 Acolytes right now - a Redemptionist cleric, an Arbites, a Guardsman, a Moritat Assassin, a Scum, and two Psykers, all somewhat armoured and armed with at least an autopistol. So far, I'm thinking about setting the enemy as a Thrice-Bound daemonhost - how managable is that for the PCs?

Hi Firestorm,

it is not so much about "how many pc at which rank" but "how much hits with how much damage each round" the Daemonhost will be facing.

In one of my homebrewn games I have seen a thrice-bound being teared to shreds within 2 rounds since I was stupid enough to make it visible at a wider range while having a Bio-Psyker (Bio-Lighting is EVIL) and two Bolt Weapons (Rank 3 to 4 pc). I had to trump up the wound immensly! (otherwise, my players would have scoffed at Daemon Hosts from this point on.

TIPS:
Beware of your groups Psykers! If any of them has a power to actually do damage, you Daemonhost will be in trouble unless it wears actualy armour. Since group is rank 2, they do not have it RIGHT NOW. Do not allow them to "level up" until after the fight, so, or you might be in for a bad surprise.

Compare the damage of the ATTACKS (not WEAPONS) your pc are able to field against the (Daemonic) TB of your Host. Check for "damage-adders" like "Crushing Blow" in the Talents of said pc (I am not sure what is available at Rank 2).  If it boils down to 1d10+3 (your standard las rifle or stub automatic) your Host should have at least TB: 5(10). This ensures that only 20% of all of the "hits" will actualy harm him (Damage role of 8 and 9) which is something you really, really want since 7 pc will unleash attacks at him. If you take a lower value, your pc might tear the Host to shred with their "first volley".

Think about either heigthening the wounds (20 is abby small! Consinder 30+) of the host. I strungly suggest to keep the actual wound stats "hidden" to be able to up them later on. This best described as the daemonhost still pressing on, forcing the pc to literally chew him up with gunfire and/or chopping him to most tiny of pieces.

Make him into something changing shape and/or tactic in the mids of the figt! For example, go for three rounds and then make him unleash "FlashBang" Minor psychic power. Turn him from melee to distant fighter (or from distant to melee) with a teleport-once-trick (even if you have NO rules for this).

Give him some Weaponary that is not PRIMTIVE. It is futile to attack mediocre armoured pc with primitive attacks (unless you do use the BC rules for primitive). Make him use something with the stats of a Mono-Melee-Weapon and/or psychic attacks. Only use the "Warp Weapon" trait if you REALLY want to screw your pc. 

Do you already have a plan/idea for your Host?

Judging by what your group consists of, I think some of them could survive a scrap with a thrice-bound host as long as they manage to survive the FEAR!  With 7 PCs I would honestly consider giving the daemonhost a variety of potential attacks or techniques (some of which allow for multiple attacks or targets).   The "one big baddie" method so common in video games has a nasty habit of ending up in "Baddie attacks once, players kill the crap out of it, the end" in RPGs, so getting a little creative ahead of time is usually worth it.   Avoid vulgar GM cheats if you can help it.  Instead cook up fun and plausable options for your baddie to augment their combat performance:  Give the boss some powerful telepathy abilities and have him DOMINATE a crowd of nearby bystanders.  Perhaps the host is charismatic and has gathered a moderate cult-following?  Maybe a DARK PACT with Grandfather Nurgle grants the baddie the ability to inflict entropy on weapons directed at him (causing them to rust, jam, suffer malfunctions and so on)?  Consider giving him a "template weapon"  (an attack that hits multiple targets, similar to a flamer).   Borrow one of the "special auras" from an appropriate daemon type when the daemonhost is fully manifesting it's gifts.    Consider giving him the Regeneration(X) trait, or if the previous owner of the body was a Tech Priest pile on some cybernetics and the Machine(X) trait.

My overall point is, make it interesting and scary as hell without pushing it into impossible.

One other fun GM trick is to deliberately make the Daemonhost way too tough, but it has a weakness to something that the team has a reasonable chance of employing in the fight.  Stage the fight near a reliquary shrine that houses a legitimate relic (not one of the many questionable "saint's bones").  The Daemon knows that this relic has the power to wound or destroy it, so it has come to the shrine to destroy the offending relic, the catch being that it must use non-tainted pawns to actually handle/destroy the relic....   If a player character picks up and makes use of the relic it bypasses the Daemonic trait as if it were a Sanctified weapon and likewise brushes aside any psychic defenses the daemon possesses!   This allows you to let players the satisfaction of getting to employ a powerful tool against an "unbeatable" foe without the GM headache of the players keeping  such an item, as it is a priceless relic that the Ecclesiarchy would do nearly anything to recover should it go missing...     "Eat saintly femur, *******!"  *WHACK!*

I would wholly agree with Zillaprime, when building the deamon host, be sure to look at what you can add to make it more fun/dangerous for my players, I built a deamon host for my players, but made sure that it would give them a hardy fight, the regeneration trait is a good choice, or even as they damage it have it become bigger and scaryier (as they blast away flesh the warp itself boils over, causing the deamon to get stronger while the host itself becomes weaker). also maybe give it a few deamon cohorts who want it free from the host itself, but are willing to stop and fight off the players.. just to ask what kind of deamon host are you making??

Man, lots of good responses, thanks guys.

Regarding the story...well, it's basically this thread:

javascript:void(0);/*1323290196539*/

The Acolytes so far:

Cleric: Frenzy+Chainsword

Arbites: Hunting Rifle or Shotgun

Guardsman: Lasgun, frags

Scum: Autogun

Moritat: Sword, Hand Bow

Psykers: Autopistols, no direct damage powers

I'm planning on the Lady turning out as the corrupt influence, and I'd like her to be Tzeentch-influenced. Possibly throw the Acolytes up against her and a squad of her enthralled guards? I'm slightly worried about 5 or 6 chaps with lasguns and flak armour on top of a Daemonhost (might give her a weak damaging power), but hey, nobody ever said the Inquisition has a lot of veterans retiring of old age...

Hi Firestorms,

here is some idea I was brewing up on the concept of the "possessed Lady".

====================================================================

The possessed Lady Arael (loosly based on a thrice-bounded Daemon Host)

WG:38 BS:32 S:38(6) T:40(8) AG:38 INT:36 PER:38 WP:45 Fel:30 Wounds:30

Movement: 4 / 8 / 12 / 24 (Hovering; like a ghost)

Skills: Awareness+10; Blather+10; Charm+10, Command; Deceive+10; Dodge; Invocation; Psyniscience; Silent Move; Speak Language (any relevant);

Talents: Melee Weapon Training (Furious Clawhands); Frenzy*; Combat Master; Favoured by the Warp; Fearless; Favoured by the Warp; Foresight; Psi Rating 4; Resistance (Psychic Powers); Sure Strike; Swift Attack;

Psi Powers: All Minor Powers; Bio-Lighting; Compel; Psychic Shriek;

Traits: Daemonic (8); Dark Sight; Fear 2; Hoverer; Regeneration; The Stuff of Nightmares; Unnatural Strenght (2x); Unnatural Senses (Warpsenses; 15m); Blind; Warpinstability*; Unsure footing in Reality**;

Weapon: Furious Talons (1d10+6; Primitive; Tearing)
Armour: Blasphemous Rune* (AP:2 on all zone against all but holy/psychic attacks)

If a Location actually sustains damage after reduction for TB & AP; the runes will be broken and the AP is no longer in effect for this zone.

Unsure footing Reality**: Since the actions of the pc threatened to thwart the plans of the Daemon it needed to rash its possession of Lady Arael. Its hold in reality is not firm yet, leading to some side effects.

Every time it uses a Psi Power, it has to roll for Psychic Phenomena. While the Phenomena do not harm it, a role that results in Perils will make it lose its Psi Powers for the next hour. Take the re-role from “Favoured by the Warp” into account here.

If somebody brandishes a holy symbol against it our recites certain litanies of banishment [Common Lore (Imperial Creed)+0] it will loose its abilities to use Psi Powers as long as the item is brandished against it and/or the litany is cited (half action). In addition, it will Frenzy immediately, lose its Regenerations Trait and will gain the Warp Instability Trait.

[Tips for Combat]
Psychic Powers are key to putting up a worthy fight here. Open up with a “Psychic Shriek” (Telepathy Major), followed by Weapon Jinx (see ERRATA; Minor): Bio-Lightings (Biomancy; Major) do a fine job as well. Using Healer (Minor) once could help in pitch.

[ideas for Scenes]
If the pc are sure about one certain individual of the family being the culprit, make them confront him in (the private chambers; the rooftop terrace; the office; etc.) As they come in they will hear shot and find the possessed Lady, having killed the culprit with a mundane revolver and laughing at the pc. As the pc attack, it will only defend itself while reciting something (extended Invocation test; three success needed). If the success are accumulated, it will teleport away. A challenging(+0) Scholastic Lore (Occult) (or something similar) test will tell the pc that it used some spell to bring itself to a ritually prepared place (for example, her private Librarium). The pc will need 5 success on an extended ordinary(+10) test for either Psyniscience or Logic to find where the Lady (either contemplating where she went or “sniffing” the psychic trail this “transport” left in the warp). Role the extended test first and the role a d10. If the number is equal or lower then the number of roles the pc needed to complete the test they will encounter a group of household guards (perhaps their number) who will order them to lay down their weapons since they are accused of the murder of (whomever the Lady murdered). The pc will need some roleplaying and a matching social skill test or they will need to fight off the guards (who will retreat rather quickly…to call for reinforcements!).

If the pc can persuade the houseguard they can be ordered to help them. As they confront the Lady, she will look normal and react afraid to the presence of the pc, claiming that “they have come to murder me as well!” and plead the guards for help. This will become a contested skill test between the Deceive skill of the possessed Lady and the pc. If the pc simply open up fire some of the guards will open fire on them as well! If the pc lose the test, the guards will turn on the pc. The round after the “Lady” got hit by an attack, however, her mask will drop and she will turn on the pc and the guards whom will be shocked for one round. If no pc addresses them to stay and fight (with a successful Command test) the guards will simply flee the scene.