Sign in to follow this  
GoblynKing

Commonly used skill checks and difficulty levels

Just a set of tables I brewed up to help me more quickly reference the various skill checks that my players use in-game. Some of the checks reference certain house-ruled bits that myself and other contributors on these boards have created (i.e. Valvoriks expanded Interlude rules and my own Chase, Hunting/Gathering, and Travel rules). My intention is to use these in a homemade GM screen which is still in progress.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42615914/GM%20Screen_Skill%20Checks_01.pdf

To compliment the above tables, I've included a table detailing the various challenge difficulty levels that some of the skill checks reference. Most use relatively vague and broad examples to give the GM a better idea of when to apply particular difficulties under certain circumstances.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42615914/GM%20Screen_Difficulty%20Levels.pdf

If you have any suggestions or questions, let me know.

Love the lists. 

Here is one I add.  Fear and Terror having little beneficial side effects I am not a huge fan of.  I have interpreted it several ways, so I figure I'd shoot them out. 

succeed:  same as book.

3 successes, regain 1 stress and fatigue as you steady yourself to face the terror. 

2 boons, add fortune to the first check you make against the target. 

comet: gain the invigorated card and place 3 recharge tokens on it, as you need to overcome this new peril as fast as possible.

There's a quick one off the top of my head. 

For a lot of checks I tend to say whether they are "active" or "reactive", active checks are those initiated by the player, reactive checks are made in reaction to something. These include observation checks, fear and terror checks etc. Reactive checks don't cause stress or delays, but neither do they allow the player to initiate as many benefits as they normally would.