Sign in to follow this  
Tullist

Blood Bowl!

Does anyone know the rules to Blood Bowl? Our gaming group saw the preview for the new game coming out and were wondering if there was a rule book to follow sinc emost of us would like to have our characters play a game or two during down time.

Blood Bowl really is GWs best overall game/system.

Played it hundreds of thousands of times.

Pretty good if I do say so myself.

try

www.fumbbl.com

a 40K version has been needed for decades.

But I imagine for Dark Heresy, it would be an illegal game. Since some of it would involve Xenos (Eldar Teams and so forth), but it would be a fun twist on the Beast House.

I'm actually trying to set up a Blood Bowl league in my capmaign as a persisting side-quest. It's weird someone's trying to do it at the same time. Like someone before said the pdf on Games-Workshop's website has all the rules, but I was going to attempt to make custom rules. I'll have to let you know what I come up with.

Also, as for the concept of Blood Bowl 40,000, I figured it would be an underground sport as indeed, it would be illegal. However, you can get a lot of variety with human teams if you consider the MANY different armies, and take into consideration abhumans.

True. The only thing that makes the Beast House illegal is the fact that some of their beasts are highly dangerous (to the world at large) proscribed xeno-beasts... not because slaves, gladiators, and nutters et eaten by said beasts for the enjoyment of the spectators.

You've gotta get into the Roman mindset. It would seem that when a civilization is on the decline, the powers that be will offer up most any distraction to keep the populace from noticing. Life sucks? Well, release the Gladiators and feed 'em to the Lions! That'll make you forget the suckage of your existence... at least your not the one being eaten ;)

I see Bloodbowl (without orks or other xenos) as potentially a wide spread and accepted spectator sport for the middle class (read: working poor). Time for some Monday Night Bloodbowl!

You make a very good point that the games would probably for the middle class and working poor.   Those that could afford tickets would go.  They would have little forms of entertainment anyway.  Those who can afford some kind of broadcaster would watch. (Would they actually have television stations for the masses?)  If not,  maybe they would have a massive screen in a public area where people could gather and watch.  

The only problem is that I doubt they would allow any Xenos on a team.  They would be hunted down and the teams would be destroyed for working with them. (Those evil alien thoughts after all)   As for some kind of mutants, that is iffy.  They allow mutants to work in factories and mines.  So I guess really tall mutants (giants) or small (maybe dwarfs) might be allowed. 

Actually, after plugging Blood Bowl into my campaign something occured to me. In a blood sport where it is legal to kill the opposing players...why would it be illegal to let xenos and mutants play at all. Why would entire teams be made of them and the referees encourage them to slaughter each other as much as possible. Better yet, what better to boost morale that a team of space marines slaughtering a team of Eldar. That's grand entertainment right there! Also, if said sport were semi-illegal I'm sure there's more than enough rich, bored nobles willing to fund a secret society around it. Also general havens of semi-legality tend to be the rogue traders. Perhaps they would pop up with their own traveling teams filled weith all manner of xenos, mutant, and imperials.

I seriously doubt anyone could get Space Marines to 'willingly' play a sport like Blood bowl, unless it was on a mission or some warp spawned influence (and whomever did would be facing thier wrath.) Then again, I could be wrong. Either way you can be sure there's going to be consequences to such an event occuring...really really nasty.

But as to Xenos playing, I'd say maybe just against other xenos or sub-humans/crimnals. I doubt the locals would be keen on say, seeing a xenos defeat a group of humans. (Heresy.) This in itself would be the makings of a series of adventures however; Investigating the blood bowl with rumours of heresy and taint in its games and dealings.

I have the big box with the foam pitch, the Star Player's book and the Companion.  How many editions of Blood Bowl am I behind?  I got it used circa 1990...

It was fun, alas our league didn't last long enough for my undead team to really shine, i.e. have a lot of money to spend on assassins and such.

Blood Bowl is greater than the Imperium, greater than any mortal creed. Not even the combined might of the Inquisition can stop Blood Bowl teams from going wherever the hell they want to get a match in; for they are blessed by Nuffle, and his power is infinite (as long as it's Blood Bowl related)

In order to have Xenos teams, you have to willingly work peacefully w/ xenos in order to organize it. (For gladitorial combat not so much, there you just have to capture the xeno the release it into the pit to fight or die) Such peaceful cooperation with xenos is striclty verboten in the Imperium unless you are a Rogue Trader, Imperial Diplomat on a specific mission, or an Inquisitor.

That would limit this sort of thing to locations and audiances made up exclusively of these types of people who generally there aren't enough of in one place to make a good audiance. 

I love Blood Bowl. I am psyched about the Computer Game that is coming. I always played well with Humans and Orcs, and do alot with Norse.

I enjoy playing Dark elves, but my BB style works best with humans, because I like to have 4 blitzers (after a couple games), a catcher, 2 throwers and linemen. The blitzers are awesome.

Wood Elves are brutal because they can dodge the hell out of you and the fastest. The only way to win is to beat the hell out of them... then hope you can catch up on points.

love the game, I have the old field (the styrofoam version and two of the newer ones.)

when I just want to destroy... I love playing Chaos... (Beastmen SUCK at picking up the ball, so you gotta just beat up as many enemies as possible and then try to pick up the ball and hope for training re-roll :P)

Unfortunately, I think it's true. The only iterations of Blood Bowl that would likely be found in the 40k would have to be an illegal underground version run by heretics and rogue traders.

My local game store use to run a Blood Bowl league.  We had about 3 seasons with a very full schedule against many teams.  Sadly, it eventually fell because of internal squabbling.   I actually got to participate in one season.  My team was about average.    

Anyway, back to Blood Bowl in 40K.  While I really can see the local nobles be interested in such a tournament, I doubt it would be anything like in the  Fantasy game.   Again,  I can see several groups (starting with the Church and the Inquisition) who would put a stop to it.   By allow the populace even see of these Xenos (or even worse Demons),  they would fear it would give them a chance for corruption.   They would probably just have human on Human leagues with some augementations. (hmm, maybe Servitors vs Servitors?)

A secret underground league might be interesting, but I can see multiple complications.   One.  Finding other Leagues out there to face off against.  You speak to the wrong person and the whole thing can be brought down by the Authorities.  Two.  You are not holding just one or two Xenos or Demons captive, but a whole team.  That requires a whole lot more to store and keep secure.  

If anything,  I would see more of a underground combat arenas to be the "in" thing.   You can keep it local and easier to conceal, your gladiator population would be rotating out more (with a lesser number of fighters.)  Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. :)

If you all love blood bowl, then check out 'Chaos League' for the pc. It was made by the company 'Digital Jesters' a few years back and is out standing. About as close to blood bowl as you can get, and loads of fun.