Sign in to follow this  
antony131073

Bolt of Tzeentch

I am setting up the conclusion of an adventure. After they lost a party member to a daemonhost, the group will track down the daemon through the battlefield the daemon has created. Their wondering of how they can face such a powerful foe will be answered when a squad of grey knights teleports in. I have gone to the trouble of generating the grey knight and am looking forward to the players enjoying a monumental fight against the daemonhost and its army of daemons. I have added the bolt of tzeentch to the daemonhost (daemonhunter page 101) but fear it is overpowered. With a psy rating of 8 its going to be doing 8D10 damage with pen 12 potentially doubled. Even grey knight cannot stand up to this. too powerful?

I think it depends on how you set this up. If you perhaps give the characters some ways of evening the odds, like striking down some idol that gives it power or something which can weaken it before the confrontation I wouldn't think its that overpowered. Or perhaps give the daemon some great flaw or weakness that can be exploited. If you go for a straight fight on even ground I could see that it could be a bit to powerful.

But then again, how powerful are you players' characters to start with?

Limit the Bolt of Change to only being used against Grey Knights, and make sure this Daemon Host dies first. Should scare them somewhat to see a Grey Knight go down (or almost go down) to one spell. Which in turn will make the victory much sweeter for the players.

I have a hard time seeing the Daemon Host lasting a long time against a team of Grey Knights so it should work out in the end.

To make the odds of your players win greater, limit the amount of help the Host got or invent some sort of weakness that can be used against it. You could also boost the players' power with better weapons/Armour if possible. Seeing as you probably have Daemon Hunters you could give them some sweet Malleus gear (the power armour as an example).

Sorry I was not very clear in my original post. The team in a sense failed the second haarlock scenario. The mirror daemon escaped with the aid of one of the characters who became a daemon host. After being left in hiatus for a year the group were sent to a planet in rebellion which it is believed that the ex pc daemon host is behind. They have taken on the mission knowing that they will be outmatched by the daemon host and I am sure are wondering what they are going to do when they finally track it down. They will eventually end up in a pseudo throne room, a horde of daemons between the pc's and the daemon host. At this point the tech priest should hopefully activate a device he has been given that will act a homing beacon for a squad of grey knights. At this point the acolytes will effectively take cover and the players wil take a grey knight character each to play out the battle. I have upscaled the daemon host and she has acquired a refractor field when she took control of the hive so will hopefully survive a little while with the aid of the daemon horde. The rank 4 grey knights should tear through the horde but if I utilise bolt of change it will kill a grey knight a round. I will prob just not use it every round but use it for dramatic effect. I just thought it was incredibly powerful in the hands of a level 8 psyker.

You know, one idea with this could be that the Bolt of Tzeentch taxes the daemonhosts energy so bad that it leaves it dangerously exhausted (spelling?) after the last Grey Knight goes down and the daemon horde is either drastically diminished or banished entirely. The daemonhost may indeed be so exhausted that you players' characters can seize the oppertunity to attack while the daemonhost is to weak to summon its most potent powers.

If the Grey Knights are close to Deathwatch marine strength ( and i think they are ) they can take on a seriously beefed up monster even with psychic powers. If you are afraid that Bolt of Change is still too powerfull make up some sort of restrictions, Can only be used x amount of times, can not be used two rounds in a row etc.

Your could also give the players the ability to avoid it with an Opposed WP test against the Daemon, but generally i wonder how long the Daemon will last against the Grey Knights because those guys hurt like hell, especially on daemons.

You could require the Host to use a variant of Corpus Conversion to power its Bolt of Tzeentch. Then, it's a hard hit, but a costly one, forcing Tzeentch's minion to play strategically. Besides, the Puppet Master doesn't have to make things easy for his minions; maybe he wants the host to die, too, for some reason (he's infathomable, after all).

For the Knights (my favorite Chapter gran_risa.gif), the Aegis of their suits makes the effect less likely to hit, if it helps, and hexagrammic wards (Ascension, p.144), which their armor could sport, would also help greatly, along with the Resistance (Psy) they all have. Their weapons being sanctified power force weapons, they will do copious amounts of damage, each, upwards of 3d10+oodles a hit, getting through the daemonhost's flesh (not the field, but it needs some defenses, too). If one of the Knights was a Knight Librarian, he could easily bear a psychic hood, and Bolt of Tzeentch might lose some punch. I don't really think your GK's have too much to worry about. One might biff it, but once they can start to close with the host, it will probably take too much damage to mitigate, and might need to learn to teleport around. With personal teleporters, they may even be able to poof away from an incoming Bolt, as a Reaction, appearing behind the host, ready to attack on their turn. TT shafts the Knights, but these books treat them like Space Marines, so I'd have faithi in their might. So many reasons I love Grey Knights.

Use the setting and lore to guide your fight scene and you will be fine.  Bolt of Tzeentch is only granted to powerful and favoured servants of Tzeentch, and no such being would even contemplate using the same attack over and over and over again...  Mix things up a bit!  Play with your food!  Taste the lovely smell of yellow!