Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jbuck

Sex and the single Space marine

Recommended Posts

Siranui said:

 Wasn't the 'timetable' republished somewhere very recently? I seem to remember seeing it. Which indicates to me that it's still relevant.

The timetables of monks didn't leave much room for sitting around with girls on their laps, and nor does the training program for today's special forces. Given that marine existence is a melding of the two, I don't think that they finish work at 5pm and go for a beer. gran_risa.gif

 

perhaps not standard marines, but again space wolves... That said i also dont agree with any time table that gives them 15 minutes personal time, its not realistic. you can only drill so hard, so long before its pointless and wears down the morale of even the most elite soldier in existance. I would agree to a training regime far beyond a humans capablities but SM's tend to do everything turned up to 11, so really they could do something that would out right kill you in a day to do in the time it takes a world class athlete to run a mile. 

ive read a lot of the WH40k fiction, never once have i seen that the parts dont work, however i have seen that they just dont use them as they are above the concerns of basic human life. also one of the major factors that some authors use to create further seperation between humanity and marines is that some chapters are disgusted to protect humanity but do so becuase they are honor bound regardless of their opinion that were too weak to be worth protecting. 

IMO, this is a QOL argument that GW  WILL NEVER TRULY WEIGH IN ON. why? becuase to do so would force even more down the throats of people who buy their product and are happy with the image in their own head they have for marines and to do so could possibly break their image and lose a consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siranui said:

 Wasn't the 'timetable' republished somewhere very recently? I seem to remember seeing it. Which indicates to me that it's still relevant.

The timetables of monks didn't leave much room for sitting around with girls on their laps, and nor does the training program for today's special forces. Given that marine existence is a melding of the two, I don't think that they finish work at 5pm and go for a beer. gran_risa.gif

 

perhaps not standard marines, but again space wolves... That said i also dont agree with any time table that gives them 15 minutes personal time, its not realistic. you can only drill so hard, so long before its pointless and wears down the morale of even the most elite soldier in existance. I would agree to a training regime far beyond a humans capablities but SM's tend to do everything turned up to 11, so really they could do something that would out right kill you in a day to do in the time it takes a world class athlete to run a mile. 

ive read a lot of the WH40k fiction, never once have i seen that the parts dont work, however i have seen that they just dont use them as they are above the concerns of basic human life. also one of the major factors that some authors use to create further seperation between humanity and marines is that some chapters are disgusted to protect humanity but do so becuase they are honor bound regardless of their opinion that were too weak to be worth protecting. 

IMO, this is a QOL argument that GW  WILL NEVER TRULY WEIGH IN ON. why? becuase to do so would force even more down the throats of people who buy their product and are happy with the image in their own head they have for marines and to do so could possibly break their image and lose a consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siranui said:

 Wasn't the 'timetable' republished somewhere very recently? I seem to remember seeing it. Which indicates to me that it's still relevant.

The timetables of monks didn't leave much room for sitting around with girls on their laps, and nor does the training program for today's special forces. Given that marine existence is a melding of the two, I don't think that they finish work at 5pm and go for a beer. gran_risa.gif

 

perhaps not standard marines, but again space wolves... That said i also dont agree with any time table that gives them 15 minutes personal time, its not realistic. you can only drill so hard, so long before its pointless and wears down the morale of even the most elite soldier in existance. I would agree to a training regime far beyond a humans capablities but SM's tend to do everything turned up to 11, so really they could do something that would out right kill you in a day to do in the time it takes a world class athlete to run a mile. 

ive read a lot of the WH40k fiction, never once have i seen that the parts dont work, however i have seen that they just dont use them as they are above the concerns of basic human life. also one of the major factors that some authors use to create further seperation between humanity and marines is that some chapters are disgusted to protect humanity but do so becuase they are honor bound regardless of their opinion that were too weak to be worth protecting. 

IMO, this is a QOL argument that GW  WILL NEVER TRULY WEIGH IN ON. why? becuase to do so would force even more down the throats of people who buy their product and are happy with the image in their own head they have for marines and to do so could possibly break their image and lose a consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Cutting back briefly... where in the Ragnar books is this 'falls in love with...' thing? Because I've chatted to a few people who have read the book and they all said "W.T.F?!!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The off note about Lukas the Trickster bedding a dozen women in a single night is before he became a Space Marine. At least that's how I read the passage. I don't claim to have read everythign about Space Marines, but what I have erad doesn't mention a thing abotu them bedding anyone or even talking about sex in an even joking fashion which typical warriors usually will. One might say its part of most soldiers chemistry, but I think its becuase most are young men in their 20's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siranui said:

Cutting back briefly... where in the Ragnar books is this 'falls in love with...' thing? Because I've chatted to a few people who have read the book and they all said "W.T.F?!!!!"

Love is a strong word, but 'feelings,' sexual or romantc. Ragnar's Claw:

He was not dead. He was not Like a message of confirmation sent by Russ, Karah Isaan's beautiful brown face came into view above him. He felt more than relief at seeing it. He felt a surge of something else, something he could not quite put his finger on, something he had not felt since Ana had been lost, something that really should have been impossible for him to feel as a Space Marine.

Then again in Grey Hunter:

He realised that some of these youthshad never been off-planet before. Casting his mind back, he managed a surge of sympathy for them. He recalled hisown first voyage into space in the company of Sven, Strybjorn, Hakon, Nils and Lars. An unaccountable sadnessfilled him when he thought of his dead companions and the dead inquisitors who had accompanied them,particularly Karah Isaan, for whom he had felt an un-Space Wolfish fondness.

Of course it's all innuendo and implication, as all of this really is; which might be why the conversation generally devolves into "I'm right and you're wrong" gran_risa.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For additional background, Ana was the girl Ragnar got familiar with before becoming a Marine, and she got drug off and killed supposedly.  He also uses the feelings he had for Ana to deny some Slaanesh daemon or some such later that's trying to seduce him (again, I think before he's a Marine). 

So for him to feel "something he had not felt since Ana had been lost" indicates either love or sexual desire to me.  Simple affection would've been more brotherly/sisterly, which I'd imagine wouldn't be particularly un-Space Wolfish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charmander said:

Siranui said:

 

Cutting back briefly... where in the Ragnar books is this 'falls in love with...' thing? Because I've chatted to a few people who have read the book and they all said "W.T.F?!!!!"

 

 

Love is a strong word, but 'feelings,' sexual or romantc. Ragnar's Claw:

He was not dead. He was not Like a message of confirmation sent by Russ, Karah Isaan's beautiful brown face came into view above him. He felt more than relief at seeing it. He felt a surge of something else, something he could not quite put his finger on, something he had not felt since Ana had been lost, something that really should have been impossible for him to feel as a Space Marine.

Then again in Grey Hunter:

He realised that some of these youthshad never been off-planet before. Casting his mind back, he managed a surge of sympathy for them. He recalled hisown first voyage into space in the company of Sven, Strybjorn, Hakon, Nils and Lars. An unaccountable sadnessfilled him when he thought of his dead companions and the dead inquisitors who had accompanied them,particularly Karah Isaan, for whom he had felt an un-Space Wolfish fondness.

Of course it's all innuendo and implication, as all of this really is; which might be why the conversation generally devolves into "I'm right and you're wrong" gran_risa.gif

 

These are all vague feelings, like a poignant recollection of childhood, or the sight of seeing something we loved in childhood.

Psycho-conditioning isn't 100% perfect, I'm sure some stuff slips through. A great place for Chaos to get a foothold, actually...

I don't think it's the kind of thing an Astartes would let other people know about though (it is un-Space Wolfish, and should have been impossible). Embarassing at the very least, like admitting you still sleep with a teddy bear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I am going to simplify all of this as best as I can having had to deal with this issue with certain members of my group and our human DH players. Space Wolves and certain other homebrew chapters (ie angry marines) do have sex drives and but CAN'T reproduce with any human or otherwise (it can be argued that it is possible with an eldar but not getting into that).

Marines are taken at the age range of 12-15 and hypo-indoctronated to think that they are king **** and that killing is the best thing since beating a cultist to death with its own arms. Sex drive isn't an issue with most loyalist marines it just does not exist. Also I would like to state that when marines go through the excelerated growth afer the majority of the implants are installed in them they increase in size by a large percentage.

I can't speak for a woman seeing how I'm a male but would you lay around long enough for something the size of a normal male forearm to be inserted into you? I wouldn't think so. Also as far as the Wolves go they could be talking about past life events but who really knows what those space vikings do in their off time.

By and large marines don't have the time to lay around with women or otherwise considering a normal day is as follows:

Wake up, combat training, pray, more combat training, eat, maintinance on armor/weapons, combat training, meal, pray, sleep, go fight war next day.

The emperor made weapons. Marines fight and die (Except space wolves they wench too). There is some material out there saying that marines can't perform in that arena and once I find it again I will be happy to post it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a semi-serious note, I present the following.

(Style is reminiscent of a 1950’s PSA, with Perry Como’s Magic Moments playing softly in the background)

Greetings, citizen!
Whether by accident or intent, you have just broached-upon one of the most controversial and inflammatory topics in our community: the Sexuality of Space Marines.
The ensuing discussion is likely to be heated and passionate. You can expect at least to see the following:
1) Debate over a “casual pass” and its implications (Codex Space Wolves).
2) Was Lukas the Trickster’s legendary prowess in bed pre- or post- ascension?
3) Family and its role in the life of a Salamander.
4) Whether or not the genetic modifications of a marine render him impotent and/or sterile.
5) Large amounts of conjecture regarding how the sexuality of a marine fits into the larger 40k universe.
6) Increasingly vicious personal attacks made by both sides of the debate (questioning one’s maturity is a popular choice)
7) The dialogue is likely to end on a sour and unresolved, note, with both sides remaining convinced of their own position.

Caution:

As the discussion rages on, there is an ever-increasing likelihood that another, equally provocative topic will be mentioned: Female Marines: Could/Should/Would They Exist?

Have a nice day, and remember: you have been warned.

 

I encourage people to post this as a response whenever someone raises this topic.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A following is a little exchange between Captain Remus Ventanus of Ultramarines and Magos Analyticae Meer Edv Tawrin from novel Know No Fear: And for a note: The same writers other books set in 40K universum have featured sexually loaded scenes and even homosexual relationships so it is not as if he made a conscious choice not to include sexual thematics into his novels. Instead he made a conscious choice to introduce this:

'You were close,' notes Ventanus.

'Yes,' she replies. 'He was, I suppose, my husband. My life partner. The Mechanicum does not think in such old-fashioned terms, and our social connections are more subtle. But yes, captain, we were close. A binary form. I miss him. I do this for him."

The lift shutters open. For a second, Ventanus envies her loss. However approximate to standard human her relationship with Hesst might have been, it was still something. An analogue.

He is transhuman. He knows no fear, and there are many other simple emotions he will similarly never experience.

I think that is pretty much as clear as it can get: Marines do not, and cannot, feel love the way standard human relationships go. They know that they cannot feel it. And sometimes, just for a little while, they feel they are missing out on something.

I guess my point is this: Space Marines are not, and will never be, human. They are, by definition, transhuman and what the can and cannot feel does not operate, and cannot be measured, by human spectrum of emotions. They certainly have feelings and they have drives, but the way these operate are so far from human equivalents that they are completely incomprehensible to humans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Not In Sample

Course, we just had another long thread about how tech priests have no emotions and so don't marry...

--

Surely the game has been out long enough that people have got some idea of how difficult it is to make Marines in to interesting characters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AluminiumWolf said:

Course, we just had another long thread about how tech priests have no emotions and so don't marry...

--

Surely the game has been out long enough that people have got some idea of how difficult it is to make Marines in to interesting characters?

I don't see why having a sex drive makes you more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Not In Sample

bogi_khaosa said:

I don't see why having a sex drive makes you more interesting.

 

Well, do you agree that it is difficult to run an all Marine game because of how dull the characters are?

Look, this forum doesn't get much traffic, and I can't help but feel that is because of the games failure to rise above a line of combat scenes. There just... isn't a lot to do in Deathwatch other than kill things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NECRO

But aside from that, I think that getting Marines to bump uglies with people is a terrible idea. Space Marines, even if they were "equipped" for such a thing, and I for one don't think they are or should be, don't have the time for it. Almost every moment they don't spend in battle is spent praying or training. It also messes with the theme. I don't want to imagine warrior monks staring at the behinds of every female they run into. It conflicts horribly with what they're supposed to be.

Additionally, if you can't make your Space Marine character interesting unless he can have sex, well, suffice it to say you're doing it wrong. If you're really hellbent on characters capable of such relationships, then I'd suggest checking out Fantasy Flight's other RPG's (including, unfortunately, Black Crusade *shudder*).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AluminiumWolf said:


Well, do you agree that it is difficult to run an all Marine game because of how dull the characters are?

 

Look, this forum doesn't get much traffic, and I can't help but feel that is because of the games failure to rise above a line of combat scenes. There just... isn't a lot to do in Deathwatch other than kill things.

I kind of agree that Deathwatch gets bogged down into being about killing stuff but I'm not sure that the addition of banging chicks is going to give the game more dimension or make the characters less dull. I don't know for sure what the exact solution to this problem is but I'm not convinced its the sexual angle that's missing. I mean Vampires can't get laid (for real but they can pretend) either but both Masquerade and Requiem had and has a, as far as I can tell, huge following. 

 

Fabian Grax said:

NECRO

But aside from that, I think that getting Marines to bump uglies with people is a terrible idea. Space Marines, even if they were "equipped" for such a thing, and I for one don't think they are or should be, don't have the time for it. Almost every moment they don't spend in battle is spent praying or training. It also messes with the theme. I don't want to imagine warrior monks staring at the behinds of every female they run into. It conflicts horribly with what they're supposed to be.

I kind of agrees with this.

 

Fabian Grax said:

Additionally, if you can't make your Space Marine character interesting unless he can have sex, well, suffice it to say you're doing it wrong. If you're really hellbent on characters capable of such relationships, then I'd suggest checking out Fantasy Flight's other RPG's (including, unfortunately, Black Crusade *shudder*).

That part about Black Crusade are fighting words...

 

What I think is that maybe on idea is to make sure that the characters gets other missions than just killing stuff and perhaps, if possible, allow things with the outside world develop beyond sheer formality and perhaps downplay the formal hierarchy of the Deathwatch a little. Just some ideas throw out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Not In Sample

+++++I mean Vampires can't get laid (for real but they can pretend) either but both Masquerade and Requiem had and has a, as far as I can tell, huge following.+++++

No one I know paid any attention to that.

And vampires from Buffy through True Blood to Twilight all have sex. Vampire sex is Pretty Big.

+++++I'm not sure that the addition of banging chicks is going to give the game more dimension or make the characters less dull.+++++

Anything that moves Marine roleplaying away from drooling slightly unless you are killing something has to be worth doing.

Basically, I read:-

+++++For a second, Ventanus envies her loss. However approximate to standard human her relationship with Hesst might have been, it was still something. An analogue.

He is transhuman. He knows no fear, and there are many other simple emotions he will similarly never experience.+++++

And I hear

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AluminiumWolf said:

AluminiumWolf said:

+++++I mean Vampires can't get laid (for real but they can pretend) either but both Masquerade and Requiem had and has a, as far as I can tell, huge following.+++++

No one I know paid any attention to that.

And vampires from Buffy through True Blood to Twilight all have sex. Vampire sex is Pretty Big.

Twilight is a...special case. And while there are Vampire Sex, vampires in Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem does not have sex in the way that humans do, and they have even more neutered emotions than Space Marines have, but they can still attract a shitload of people loving that game. Of course it could also be with the goth/emo-style that's going on...but its still alot of people playing it.

 

AluminiumWolf said:

+++++I'm not sure that the addition of banging chicks is going to give the game more dimension or make the characters less dull.+++++

Anything that moves Marine roleplaying away from drooling slightly unless you are killing something has to be worth doing.

Basically, I read:-

+++++For a second, Ventanus envies her loss. However approximate to standard human her relationship with Hesst might have been, it was still something. An analogue.

Well I haven't read those things so I can't comment on it. In regards to drooling I think that the players may either be understimulated or would perhaps need to be given missions that are alot less about killing stuff.  

 

AluminiumWolf said:

He is transhuman. He knows no fear, and there are many other simple emotions he will similarly never experience.+++++

And I hear

I think this is very wrong. For characters that are like that you have the chem-geld talent which gives you that stuff but its not the "natural" state for a Space Marine. In regards to motion I do think that Space Marines feels alot of emotions and have alot of things going on. They feel loyalty, companionship, hate, anger, fear (although in a more focused way than norma humans do, the "feel no fear" is a catchphrase and not a objective description. Furthermore they feel pride, envy, happiness etc. The only thing that they don't seem to feel is sexual arousement in the same manner that humans do.

Basically if you want to bang some chicks in you game, do it. I won't come with the FFG Canon Police and arrest you, but I do not think that's the "thing" that would turn it all around it if was introduced. Maybe there is a need for some thinking about what the themes of this game is all about.

Maybe we should make a new thread to discuss this phenomonen as it is of a rather large importance to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Not In Sample

+++++vampires in Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem does not have sex in the way that humans do, and they have even more neutered emotions than Space Marines have+++++

Like I say, nobody I know ever actually played that. Whenever it came up people agreed that vampires could certainly have sex.

+++++but I do not think that's the "thing" that would turn it all around it if was introduced.+++++

Nor do I. But it is a start. First we give them girlfriends. Then we give them worldly possessions. Then we give them strong opinions on stuff that doesn't involve killing things.

I can pretty much guarantee that people look at Space Marines and think, at least with regard to anything that doesn't involve combat,

+++++What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?+++++

And four guys all playing neutrals is no way to run a game.

Strong corrective measures are required.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AluminiumWolf said:

+++++vampires in Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem does not have sex in the way that humans do, and they have even more neutered emotions than Space Marines have+++++

Like I say, nobody I know ever actually played that. Whenever it came up people agreed that vampires could certainly have sex.

Ok. I'm sure that alot of people thinks so since alot of popular fiction surrounding vampires are like that but the games stil arn't...

AluminiumWolf said:

+++++but I do not think that's the "thing" that would turn it all around it if was introduced.+++++

Nor do I. But it is a start. First we give them girlfriends. Then we give them worldly possessions. Then we give them strong opinions on stuff that doesn't involve killing things.

Ican pretty much guarantee that people look at Space Marines and think, at least with regard to anything that doesn't involve combat,

First we give them sex slaves/concubines/installs a brotel in the Fortress-Monestary/Watch Fortress (please note "Monestary") and then we take the Land Raider as a *****-magnet and go to town? I'm probably overreacting but I couldn't resist. lengua.gif

AluminiumWolf said:

+++++What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?+++++

And four guys all playing neutrals is no way to run a game.

Strong corrective measures are required.

Why would the Marines be neutral from these things? What do you mean with neutral because the stuff you are talking about now don't have much connection to my understanding of being "neutral". And Imperial Space Marines are probably among the least neutral guys in the freaking galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Not In Sample

+++++First we give them sex slaves/concubines/installs a brotel in the Fortress-Monestary/Watch Fortress (please note "Monestary") and then we take the Land Raider as a *****-magnet and go to town?+++++

Well, I think that is more fun that four dudes standing there feeling slightly sad that they will never truely feel. Again and again.

There are only so many times you can watch a single tear roll down someones cheek...

+++++And Imperial Space Marines are probably among the least neutral guys in the freaking galaxy+++++

But, given that they only seem to have strong opinions about hating the enemies of the emperor, they are likely to come off as Neutral unless you try real hard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If I don't come back, tell my wife....hello." partido_risa.gif

 

I must confess to not really understanding the PoV that sexuality is integral to prevent marines from being "boring." In my experience, players can and will make interesting or dull characters regardless of how "open" or "limiting" the system or setting is. While it is true that all marines have a similar base to work from, they are, ultimately, still individuals with their own hopes, dreams and aspirations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Not In Sample

Part of the problem is that when the difference between characters is that one feels enemies should be crushed and then smited, while another thinks they should be smited and then crushed there just isn't a lot to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...