Sign in to follow this  
jbuck

Sex and the single Space marine

There has been alot of prefixes used to describe SM's: posthuman, transhuman, superhuman, but ultimately, the base of all those descriptions, is human. They were all once like us. Just because they have been modified physically and brainwashed into raging psychopaths doesn't make them unhuman. It just makes them giant, surgically enhannced raging @ssh0les. I dont think whether or not they are sexually active or not makes them more or less interesting, just diffferent. Games workshop or ffg will never likley publish anything official on the subject, and everyone will continue to view space marines the same way we have before, but any limits we put on the personalities, quirks orlifestyle of marines are ones we put on as players or gms. Since they start out as humans, they probably run the gamit on personality types from jokesters to super zealots. Saying they only ever care about killing, or they only have strong opinions about enemies is like saying they have more in common with tyranids than humans.

AluminiumWolf said:

Well, I think that is more fun that four dudes standing there feeling slightly sad that they will never truely feel. Again and again.

There are only so many times you can watch a single tear roll down someones cheek...

Why would they feel sad that they will truely feel? They feel things all the time and I really hope most Chapters don't recruit emos or goths on a regular basis so I don't see them standing around and crying like some sissies. The first Space Marine that did something like that would lose all respect from my character forever.

AluminiumWolf said:

But, given that they only seem to have strong opinions about hating the enemies of the emperor, they are likely to come off as Neutral unless you try real hard.

I think you have a rather flawed perception. Granted they are rather focused due to being bio-modified weapons but most Space Marine Chapters do seem to have a great deal of other things as well. If killing the enemies of the Emperor was all they were thinking on there wouldn't be many renegade Space Marines going to any god except Khorne, if renegades would even exist. There are alot of more things going on even if killing the Emperor's foes is what their official job description says.

AluminiumWolf said:

Part of the problem is that when the difference between characters is that one feels enemies should be crushed and then smited, while another thinks they should be smited and then crushed there just isn't a lot to work with.

I'll give you that this is a bit of a problem due to how the Chapters are writen but not something that a tiny bit of characterization by the players can't help overcome.

Gurkhal said:

Why would they feel sad that they will truely feel? They feel things all the time and I really hope most Chapters don't recruit emos or goths on a regular basis so I don't see them standing around and crying like some sissies. The first Space Marine that did something like that would lose all respect from my character forever.

Also, their tear-ducts probably shoot fire or something. :P

Captain Ventris said:

Gurkhal said:

Also, their tear-ducts probably shoot fire or something. :P

Yeah I think that you are right on this. I mean its common knowledge that Marines fires bolt of lightening from their asses, spits acid and shoots fire from their eyes. gran_risa.gif

Gurkhal said:

Fabian Grax said:

Additionally, if you can't make your Space Marine character interesting unless he can have sex, well, suffice it to say you're doing it wrong. If you're really hellbent on characters capable of such relationships, then I'd suggest checking out Fantasy Flight's other RPG's (including, unfortunately, Black Crusade *shudder*).

That part about Black Crusade are fighting words...

I think you misunderstood my meaning. Does anyone REALLY want to know how Chaos Worshippers get it on? I mean, outside of 1d4chan?