Sign in to follow this  
LJSLarsson

House rules for investigators to fight monsters together

Does it exists any good house rules to let investigators fight monsters when they are togheter? I have always missed being able to do so, I feels very Lovecraft trying to fight monsters as a group (I believe there were three main characters spellslinging at the Dunwich Horror in it's novel), and the cover art of most the boxes shows several investigators figting/running from a monster.

I can't help much here but to say that Lurker at the Threshold comes with a couple spells and relationships that assist others in combat. I can also think of at least one relationship from Miskatonic.

There are a lot of suggestions on a thread I posted about this on BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/561541/ideas-for-allowing-investigators-to-gang-up-on-mon

My favorite idea was this one, because it models the Final Battle, so it makes for a more intuitive variant (you already know how Final Battle works, so it should be easy to transition that idea to this concept): 

I think it makes sense to handle it like combat with the GOO.

1. As sonny said, have the combat all happen at the end of the movement phase. If an investigator tries to sneak past a monster and fails, he or she immediately takes damage, but the combat still waits until the end of the phase.

2. All investigators fighting a monster make the horror check.

3. During combat, attacks go in turn order. If two players are fighting the same monster, Player 1 attacks first, then Player 2, and since there are two investigators, they need 2 successes for each point of toughness in order to kill the monster. This is cumulative for the round.

4. All of the successes required to kill the monster have to happen in a single round of combat, so you don't track successes between rounds of combat.

5. Whichever investigator gets the killing blow on the monster gets the trophy.

6. If the investigators don't kill the monster after all of them have attacked in a single round of combat, the investigators choose which one of them takes the damage from the monster. If the monster has the trait that causes auto damage (I forget what it's called), all investigators in the fight take the auto damage. The next round of combat then begins (obviously, with each investigator having the option of trying to sneak away or fight again).

edit: i also think that any combat during the encounters phase should only be with single investigators, since they are essentially investigating that location separately, so they get ambushed alone.

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

I'm personally think thats idea above is bad.

It's completely removes purpose of fighting a monster together by doubling/tripling/else his toughness in situation of cooperative attack.

If I'd had it done in some other way.

If you read the thread I posted above, it describes it better in the commentary. Mainly that the purpose is for someone who is stronger to be able to defend someone weaker who is forced to fight a monster (and will likely lose). To me, that's the best purpose of this variant... Otherwise, you're probably throwing the balance of monster presence and trophies off if you make them too easy to gang up on.

I do it like this ...

—When the first investigator (also second, third etc) moves in, they must evade the monster.

—The combat happens when the last investigator moves in. They don't have to evade.

—All investigators must pass the horror check. (If they don't, they are incapable of teamwork.)

—On each round, all the investigators roll and successes are added together.

—If the monster survives, the investigator(s) who failed horror checks take their turns separately.

That's all we've needed so far. I like the idea the "overwhelming" counts against everyone. I also like the idea that the trophy must go to someone who rolled the most successes in the final round.

Cheers

Grudunza said:

If you read the thread I posted above, it describes it better in the commentary. Mainly that the purpose is for someone who is stronger to be able to defend someone weaker who is forced to fight a monster (and will likely lose). To me, that's the best purpose of this variant... Otherwise, you're probably throwing the balance of monster presence and trophies off if you make them too easy to gang up on.
Yes, pack hunting monsters seems too easy, but isn't two or more investigators at one location is a waste of time?

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Grudunza said:

Yes, pack hunting monsters seems too easy, but isn't two or more investigators at one location is a waste of time?

Not if you're shopping and/or trading.  Or if you have to bail someone out from a monster that unexpectedly moved on them.

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Avi_dreader said:

Or if you have to bail someone out from a monster that unexpectedly moved on them.

Which takes away one turn from the savior.

And gives an extra turn to the saved while A)gaining a trophy, and B)not having to draw a madness or injury.  I.e. it's more efficient to save than to not save usually, if you can.

Avi_dreader said:And gives an extra turn to the saved while A)gaining a trophy, and B)not having to draw a madness or injury.  I.e. it's more efficient to save than to not save usually, if you can.

Say it to the AO when it awakens because you were too busy helping your mates.

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Avi_dreader said:And gives an extra turn to the saved while A)gaining a trophy, and B)not having to draw a madness or injury.  I.e. it's more efficient to save than to not save usually, if you can.

Say it to the AO when it awakens because you were too busy helping your mates.

Unless you're in a situation where the doom track is two or three from full, or you are in danger of losing from gate openings, the decision is obvious.

Avi_dreader said:

Unless you're in a situation where the doom track is two or three from full, or you are in danger of losing from gate openings, the decision is obvious.
Those obvious decisions will lead you to the AO awekening while you had 1-2 more turns to acheive sealing/closing victory.

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Avi_dreader said:

Those obvious decisions will lead you to the AO awekening while you had 1-2 more turns to acheive sealing/closing victory.

I already explained the situation to you, but you're entitled to whatever opinion you'd like.

Trololo, when two investigators are in the same location, they can do much more than just gang up on monsters. They can trade valuable items, money, and activate some helpful abilities from Relationship cards. In almost every game that I play, there is a point where one investigator move into another's location for the sole purpose of trading. And this tactical decision can save the game.

mi-go hunter said:

Trololo, when two investigators are in the same location, they can do much more than just gang up on monsters. They can trade valuable items, money, and activate some helpful abilities from Relationship cards. In almost every game that I play, there is a point where one investigator move into another's location for the sole purpose of trading. And this tactical decision can save the game.

There is a few relationships requiring being in one location.

If you need to trade and walk into another investigator, then you'd walk into him in any circumstances. If you're walking into him of any other reason - you're wasting valuable time.