Sign in to follow this  
Yusaku

Some questions

ktom said:

Out of curiosity, what made you think the trait "Boon" somehow created an exception to "No attachments"?

Simple. I did remember a card that accept only "boon attachments". I tought that these special attachments were another class of attachments, so are not managed with the same rules.

Two other ones !

Davos Seaworth (core) : Response: Save Ser Davos Seaworth from being killed, then pay 1 gold or return him to his owner's hand.

If I'm reading right, it means that I can save Ser Davos whenever I want (unless he is return in my hand) ? It's like a life saver for near nothing ! How can I stop that ?

Robb Stark (core) : How do I manage his ability when my claim is 0 ? Because he has a strenght of 2, can he be considered to win the challenge and thought, kill someone ?

Calepin said:

Davos Seaworth (core) : Response: Save Ser Davos Seaworth from being killed, then pay 1 gold or return him to his owner's hand.

If I'm reading right, it means that I can save Ser Davos whenever I want (unless he is return in my hand) ? It's like a life saver for near nothing ! How can I stop that ?

Robb Stark (core) : How do I manage his ability when my claim is 0 ? Because he has a strenght of 2, can he be considered to win the challenge and thought, kill someone ?

1. Davos: I'm not sure what you're asking. He has the ability to save himself, much like Viserys Targaryen. If you want to cancel his ability, you'll need a card effect that can do so (i.e. that can cancel a triggered effect, for example).

2. Robb: His ability has nothing to do with claim. If you win a military challenge, and Robb participated in it, you get to kill a character controlled by the losing player. You can use his response even when you are defending.

Calepin said:

You did answer my questions. So, if I understand well, if my claim value is 0, deadly, renown and all these abilities works ?

Of course! Why wouldn't they? The Claim value determines your Claim, nothing else. If that sounds banal, that's because it is. Claim 0 means that your opponent kills 0 characters/discards 0 cards from hand/moves 0 power to your house card if he loses a MIL/INT/POW challenge as the defender against you, and that's it. It has nothing to do with Deadly or Renown, these work just the same, no matter what your Claim value is. The same with character abilities: they are totally independent from Claim (unless, of course, they explicitly work on Claim, like Bones of a Child or ACoA Areo or Pyat Pree).

Speaking of Areo, does anybody else always feel like eating cookies whenever he is mentioned, or is that just me?

A couple of noob questions and I'm sure they have been answered before - but we're actually breaking from the game right now until we have an answer while I search the forum or someone replies. HAHA

1. Plot card lowers all characters with no intrigue by -1. Robert Baratheon has a STR of 3 and no intrigue - he becomes 2 STR. Can Illyn Payne kneel and kill him? Or is the base STR the guide for that? The gang says no, that the -1 is only used for challenges. I think it's encompasses everything including dominance. 
  2. If Robert Baratheon is killed from play and later in the game I draw his duplicate. How is this situation handled?
    a) Keep him in hand and play him next marshalling,
    b) keep him in hand and hope someone discards him during an intrigue challenge,
    c) or discard him immediately and redraw a card in its place. 

Coys1882 said:

A couple of noob questions and I'm sure they have been answered before - but we're actually breaking from the game right now until we have an answer while I search the forum or someone replies. HAHA

1. Plot card lowers all characters with no intrigue by -1. Robert Baratheon has a STR of 3 and no intrigue - he becomes 2 STR. Can Illyn Payne kneel and kill him? Or is the base STR the guide for that? The gang says no, that the -1 is only used for challenges. I think it's encompasses everything including dominance. 
  2. If Robert Baratheon is killed from play and later in the game I draw his duplicate. How is this situation handled?
    a) Keep him in hand and play him next marshalling,
    b) keep him in hand and hope someone discards him during an intrigue challenge,
    c) or discard him immediately and redraw a card in its place. 

Ratatoskr said:

Khuzdzlin has destroyed the thread...again...

To answer the questions:

Ilyn looks at STR, not at Printed STR, so that means STR after all  modifiers have been added - he kills Robert in your scenario. Compare the textb of Veno,mous Blade, which looks at printed STR.

Regarding question 2, the answer is 2b) This actually folloews directly from the rules. You can't play the csecond copy as long as the first one is in the discard pile. There's nothing in the rules that says it is immediately discarded - so it just stays in your hand.

kk

For the Doran Martel card, it is said :"If a player loses a challenge as the attacker, that player must fulfill the claim of that challenge, using the Claim value on the defending player's plot card."

So, how do I work with that ? I understand two issues :

1- If you miss a challenge,  you're side is suffering of the claim instead of the ennemy. I'm using his claim value to resolve my damage.

2- If I miss a challenge, the defender fulfill the claim and use HIS claim value to do it.

I really don't know what is the right answer.

Some others !

Former champion : when he got power on him, his stenght his lessen. But what happen if he have more than 2 power. Can he be reduced more than 0 ???

Multiple-house card : If i have a card that affects a specific house, do it works with multiple-house cards ?

Calepin said:

For the Doran Martel card, it is said :"If a player loses a challenge as the attacker, that player must fulfill the claim of that challenge, using the Claim value on the defending player's plot card."
"If a player loses a challenge as the attacker, that player must fulfill the claim of that challenge using the Claim value of the defending player's plot card."

Pretty clearly, the player satisfying the claim is the one who lost the challenge as an attacker. Essentially, losing as the attacker means you satisfy claim as if the defending player had attacked and won the same challenge against you.

Whenever you calculate STR, you start from scratch and add in all possible modifiers to get the characters STR. If that STR is less than 0, you round up to 0, but whenever you go to figure out it's STR again, you start over. So if Former Champion has 3 power on it, the STR count is 5 - 2 - 2 - 2 = -1, which is rounded up to 0. If you then play something like the plot Tourney for the Hand to give all Knights +1, Former Champion is NOT 0 + 1 = 1, he is 5 - 2 - 2 - 2 + 1 = 0.

Dual House cards are considered completely part of both Houses, so anything that affects "House X" for one of its Houses affects it.

ktom said:

Pretty clearly, the player satisfying the claim is the one who lost the challenge as an attacker. Essentially, losing as the attacker means you satisfy claim as if the defending player had attacked and won the same challenge against you.

Whenever you calculate STR, you start from scratch and add in all possible modifiers to get the characters STR. If that STR is less than 0, you round up to 0, but whenever you go to figure out it's STR again, you start over. So if Former Champion has 3 power on it, the STR count is 5 - 2 - 2 - 2 = -1, which is rounded up to 0. If you then play something like the plot Tourney for the Hand to give all Knights +1, Former Champion is NOT 0 + 1 = 1, he is 5 - 2 - 2 - 2 + 1 = 0.

Okkkkkk, what is the strategic interest to keep a time bombing that I don't control (Doran Martel) on the board ? Yes, it can hurt a lot, but also on my side... at least if I have some tricks to save my characters always. demonio.gif

And for Former champion, did I count any strengh bonus (for example, a permanent +2 str) after the power counter effects of before ? If I understand well, it's before, so it will be 7-2-2-2-2 ?

Calepin said:

And for Former champion, did I count any strengh bonus (for example, a permanent +2 str) after the power counter effects of before ? If I understand well, it's before, so it will be 7-2-2-2-2 ?
All modifiers are counted together, no matter the source. So if you have a +2 STR attachment or something on it with 3 power tokens, the proper calculation is 5 + 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 = 1.

Each time you check the character's STR, you start from scratch. You do not start with the result of the last check. So you would never put a +2 on him and start from 7.

Asha Greyjoy : "cannot be saved". Can I use the duplicates with this ability ? If not, I don't know what is the meaning to put more than 1 Asha in my deck !

Seafarer's bow : "Challenges: Kneel attached character to choose a participating character. Until the end of the phase, that character gets +2 STR. (Limit once per phase.) Challenges: Kneel Seafarer's Bow to choose a participating character. Until the end of the phase, that character gets +2 STR. (Limit once per phase.) "

So, it's like to have a possibility to modify a challenge result by +4 until the end of a phase ?

Asha cannot be saved.  Duplicates save things. Asha cannot be saved.  She cannot use a duplicate to save herself, as Asha Greyjoy cannot be saved. You might put more than one copy in your deck if you wanted to be more likely to draw her, if you wanted.

Seafarer's Bow could be used in the way you describe, yes.