Sign in to follow this  
Brother-Captain Belfire

Assasination

My and one of my fellow players have been talking. He plays a hive world assasin, wanting to ascend to a vindicator assasin. So we came up with rules for assasination. He would roll for damage from the gun and subtract toughness and armor and what the number came out to be would be the crit damage

if you want to make the vindicare even deadlier that he already is, you can do that.

But I think bevore you do that you could just as well rule that everyone he hits is dead. Not much difference but qicker.

I hope you will not have other players, because you'll ruin their game with rules like that.

Remember, when the vindicare aims bevore the shot with an accurate rifle he gets up to +2D10 on his damage roll. And the lowest die can not do less damage than the numbers of DOS he rolled. 
If that's not enough I don't know.

As he'll most likely have a BS no less than 50 and a bonus from full round aim, accurate and red dot laser sight of +40 an average hit (a rolled 50) will be enough for 2D10 bonus damage.

I don't think it's necessary... the bonus 2d10 from an accurate weapon should be enough to kill, or at least severely injure, most pre-ascension enemies. The assassin in our group has a best quality long las, a red dot sight, and mighty shot. Assuming he aims, he generally hits on anything under an 89, meaning that more often than not he is doing 3d10+6 damage for an average of around 23 damage. Against low level enemies this is usually a straight-up kill, and even against moderate enemies it is enough to cripple them so that the other acolytes can take him down no problem. If anything I would try and find a way to nerf snipers.

Brother-Captain Belfire said:

My and one of my fellow players have been talking. He plays a hive world assasin, wanting to ascend to a vindicator assasin. So we came up with rules for assasination. He would roll for damage from the gun and subtract toughness and armor and what the number came out to be would be the crit damage

You shouldn't need to do that, really - between the damage bonus for being accurate, the bonuses for aiming, and the bonuses for shooting a helpless target (which, if you're sniping from long range against a target who isn't aware of any threats, rather than sniping at relatively short range in combat, you can easily justify that, or at least the +30 for an unaware target), and you can't dodge an attack you aren't aware of, so those sorts of shots should be easy kills against most foes anyway, particularly with the right talent set-up (Marksman, Sharpshooter, Dead-eye Shot, Mighty Shot, Crack Shot) and a half-way decent rifle.

A Vindicare will have all of those things and more, plus one of the finest sniper's rifles the Imperium can produce. But then again, Assassins of the Templum Vindicare are expected to be able to kill their target with a single well-placed bullet no matter how impossible the shot - I'm talking using a preysense sight to track your target through a wall and put a turbo-penetrator round through solid stone and the target's skull behind it, or using a ricochet to hit a target round a corner, or managing to put a shot through your target's skull while he's in the cupola of a tank moving 40kph in one direction, while you're sat in an empty monorail carriage being carried at high speed in a different direction and you've only got half a second of clear opportunity to take the shot.

If a Vindicare has a clear shot at his target and is within optimal range for a standard placed shot between the eyes... then his superiors aren't giving him difficult enough missions, and could easily be performing those kills with far less capable assassins.

the only time i could see a rule like this being a acceptable rule that would not result in the potential for extreme abuse, is against a willing target, someone who has no way of protecting themselves, like a criminal with thier hands tied behind their backs and tied into a chair, I don't think this is a bad rule in general, but i don't think that is the kind of ability you want a player to be able to do...at least in a combat situation